Struggling

Philippa1961
Philippa1961 Member Posts: 38
edited 27. Jun 2014, 12:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I haven't posted for a long time due to having a bad (emotional) time. When I was posting here I was trying to get DLA. I got turned down even at the appeal stage on the grounds that I could cook a meal for one. They disregarded the fact that I need help with opening jars, tins, bottles and lifting heavy pans as examples. My depression, deafness in my right ear, osteoarthritis in my back, right hip, and ankles, and, curvature of the spine.

Since then I have applied for PIP in October 2013, had the medical assessment on 13th June 2014 and now waiting for a decision. I'm not holding my breath though that I will get it.

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sorry uve had such a hard time!!

I contacted all of my consultants & asked them for reports on me & my abilities, they were happy to help & wen I included them with a cover letter detailing exactly how much personal care etc I needed I was immediately awarded 5 years on highest rate of both care & mobility .... Maybe asking your Drs & anyone else you deal with, social workers, Occupational Health etc to do the same for you? Just in case you have to appeal in the future, would be worth while. Photocopying evetything is very worthwhile too.

Good luck, I hope they're much kinder this time!!

(((Hugs)))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again, I remember you, the struggle you were having and I am sorry that things may not have improved that much. I am pleased, however, that you have returned and I hope we can help in some way.

PIP (if granted) won't make much physical difference to you but it should provide at least a little extra income which may enable you to make some changes to your practical life. (I receive DLA and will be placed on PIP some time next year, I know the rate will drop but have no quibble with that). I have had to replace all my cooking equipment for lighter-weight materials, my iron and ironing board for kit I can manoeuvre, and I have also changed the way I do things so I am not on my feet for too long (I have two kinds of arthritis affecting my toes, ankles, knees, hips, sacros and other bits too).

I plunged into a deep depression when my OA was confirmed in April 2011(it came thanks to my other arthritis) and happily took anti-depressants for a while but my rheumatologist suggested I stay on them, albeit at a low dose, her reasoning being that if I was mentally re-enforced I could cope better with the pain. I've proved her right. :wink: Are you taking anything to help with that debilitating condition? There's no doubt about it, our lives are not easy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    I'm sorry you're struggling, Philippa. Reading your post, the only help I can offer is to suggest that you look in a disability aids shop, real or online, for gadgets to help you open those jars, cans, bottles etc. Without mine there is no way I could manage any of them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Philippa1961
    Forgot to add that I had a bad case of cellulitis in my right leg in January to add to my woes :) . My leg was regularly redressed for 8 weeks as it kept blistering, those bursting then blistering up again. On Monday I saw a new doctor at my surgery who was easy to talk to. The lady who did my assessment was concerned that the skin on my leg is still red and inflamed so suggested I saw a doctor. Anyway he told me that the skin on my right leg will probably never get any better than it is now so gave me a prescription for compression (knee high) stockings to help ease swelling. They are helping which is a relieve.

When I applied for DLA the DWP did send a form to my doctor to fill in. He rang me up when he got it as he hadn't realized about my deafness so wanted to be sure of his facts when filling out the form. My doctor was very efficient as he did know I suffer with depression and history of self harming and suicide attempts. He also included the results from x-rays and blood tests I had had done in October 2010. I had also put on the form hat I have a bath chair lift to get in and out of the bath.

We moved last September due to a neighbour from hell which meant changing doctor's surgery as we moved about three miles away. The doctor's surgery we go to now are very helpful as well so I know they will help in any way they can.

My husband getting PIP now is helping even though our pleasures are simple anyway. As long as our bills are paid and food on the cupboards we know we can cope with any extras. We also have good support from our friends.

I have suffered with depression for many years which wasn't treated until 2005 when I was rock bottom. Unfortunately since my early teens I was constantly accused of being a drama queen, over sensitive, moody and so on by family members. Subsequently I couldn't accept that I suffered with depression which I do know what caused it in the first place. I am taking sertraline specifically for depression and I take amitriptyline (20mg) which was originally prescribed for pain relief then upped to 50mg to help me sleep. Due to that it has worked alongside the sertraline.

I am going to have to get better gadgets than I bought before as the jar opener and one touch tin opener didn't work after a couple of months. I have a gadget for opening tins that have ring pulls though.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    You've certainly had a trying time of things, Philippa. I hope things will get a bit easier now.

As for cans, my freestanding electric can opener must be well over 10 years old and as good as ever. It also opens ring-pull tins. I have an electric jar opener for jar tops and a power grip tool for plastic tops eg milk, fruit juice etc. Without them I wouldn't be able to get into anything :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello Philippa
    I really do feel for you ,and the cellulitis my youngest son had last year he was in hospital on IV ABs..so I know how bad that can be.
    All I can say is dont give up they have made things much harder but you keep at .. I do hope that things work out for you, and please let us know how you get on , xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Lubs
    Lubs Member Posts: 155
    Hello Phillipa,

Hope things get better for you. I've managed to get the DLA higher allowance, I didn't fill in the forms by myself. This really nice lady in Age Concern helped me to fill in the forms, when they rejected it, she knew exactly how to phrase the form to get the form accepted. If it does go to appeal, please go to one of these charities. I know it's very difficult to get there. But phone up, make an appointment, if they can someone could come to you.

Good luck - I hope you do not have to go through that.
  • Philippa1961
    Thanks for the replies, been a busy week one way or another :D