Wrist injections

Settler
Settler Member Posts: 51
edited 26. Jun 2014, 05:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Off to get my first wrist injections today, wish they could inject every bone in my hand, but I'll take wrist if that's all on offer lol
Shirley

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good luck, I hope it goes well. I take it you are having steroids injected? If so, rest the injected joint for as long as possible after (when I used to have my knees done I was always told by my hospital to retire to bed for two days so that my knees weren't being stressed) so that the jollop has time to sink in and really get to work. If it helps then that will be a good thing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Morning Shirley
    Good luck with them , I have had them in my thumb joints and they worked really well at the beginning..think I got 6 months out of the first ones...let us know how it goes x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I, too, hope it goes well and they work. Don't forget to rest them as much as possible for 48 hours.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Good luck Shirley, hope they give you some relief.............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Settler
    that was severly painful, i nearly passed out twice, left hand really bad so they did that first then gave me option of not having right one done, but once i composed my self, thought if i dont i might regret it and need to go on waiting list, but they only did one side of the joint, had to lie down again, but having said that, the amount of pain i put up with on a daily basis, i hope and sure it will be worth it, so please dont go in there thinking it wont hurt as i did, from other people telling me this, it does big time
    Shirley
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sorry to hear the injections were painful Shirley I think it all depends on who is doing them I have a doctor in my surgery who actually does a steroid injection clinic he is so good I never even felt the needle going in. I hope that you will get relief from them it will all have been well worth it................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I, too, am sorry it was painful. As villier has said, it can depend on the skill of the surgeon but I think there are other factors too which make it a bit uncertain as to how painful it will be. Let's hope it works then it will be worthwhile. Well done on hanging in there for the second one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Its much better to go in not knowing...was it done under xray because that is painful...they did the same with me give me the option of not having the other done... :shock: like you say you might have regretted not having it I do hope you get lots of relief like I did...the first one worked the next day but the second one took a few weeks then suddenly kicked in..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Settler
    not sure what they do at the surgery, but it was done under xray, and he said doctors at surgerys could not do these ones as you need to see where the needle goes between the bone, i would have preferred to know about the pain so i was prepared, which i wasnt, will be next time though
    Shirley
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Hi Shirley,
    I had an injection for my right wrist 10 days ago and i think it has done some good. But my ring finger on the R hand has now become a trigger finger and gets really bent and has to be pushed back which is painful. i found the injection quite painful as it was in the back of my hand, I was expecting it to be actually in the wrist.

Then my left index finger was injected and that was really painful and it is still swollen and sore.

Do hope yours will have good results and help the pain
    Fortuna
  • Settler
    @ fortuna Right one which had just one jag, feels great, left one still tender, but it's early days, I have high hopes, but I'm trying not to use it too much let it settle, but that's hard as I hate sitting doing nothing, only sit at TV in evenings knitting , have to give that a miss for a couple of days :(
    Shirley
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Yes, I've had them in my thumb and found them very painful. However, the pain soon wears off and they've worked really well for me - lasted for nearly a year. I hope you're the same.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    They are painful - when you think about it joints were never really desgned to have needles inserted and stuff squirted - just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. :wink: I never found much in the way of benefit from my knee ones but I had cause to refer back to my old diary and discovered that one I had in my right ankle was effective for three months - I had totally forgotten! :lol:

I hope they work, keep resting those hands for as long as you can to give the stuff its very best chance to help. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how are things now? DD
  • Settler
    Quite good actually, still a bit tender when driving , but for most part pretty good improvement, if it carries would def do it again
    Shirley
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi;

I'm so glad this worked for you. I had my wrists injected several times over the years and always had relief. The doc who did mine added a little lidocaine to the steroid to freeze the area as the injection was done. Instant relief, and then some pain a few hours later when it wore off. Made the injection itself much less painful.

I'm very careful not to overdo it after an injection; you can get it flared up again.

Best wishes.
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm pleased to hear that things are a little easier but still take it gently, don't stress them too much. Good luck! DD