Going home, going home, going home. . . .

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. Jun 2014, 05:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
We're out of the World Cup, probably because most of the team thought that Costa Rica was a chain of coffee shops.

This may be the short, sharp shock our dim-witted twerps need. Doubt it. :( They are richly (why?) insulated from the grim realities of life because they can kick a ball, and occasionally kick it where it should be.

I will be listening to the coverage of England v The All Blacks tomorrow morning: if we lose at least we will lose in style. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We've lost a pound ,we had 50pence each way on them to win. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Well at least you didn't wager silly money. :wink: It was never going to end well but I cannot fathom the obsession with the fact that, because we won it once, we are as a nation somehow entitled. Nah. Won't wash. DD

PS. I have heard Chrissie Waddle's rant from last night on more than one occasion: then the team took it to penalties and he missed . . . . .
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Oh goody good good. :D It won't be the end of the subject (while we're on the subject, thanks a lot g***le..)

So sick of sporty people weeping because they have come second at something. :roll: Er that means by definition you are better than nearly everyone else at something, so just be grateful for that. (Never going to happen :roll: ).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Yup, watching rugby and cricket is far more satisfying. Stuart Broad got a hat trick for England today and Liam Plunkett a 'five for'. What more can you ask? :D:D:D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Wimbledon starts Monday :)
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    My husband is originally from Pakistan so crickets the sport in our house.
    Footballers are paid silly money, but the other thing I wonder about is how the clubs get round all the rules for employing foreign workers. I thought there was something about only being able to do this if you couldn't find someone resident here to do the job? I know some are from EU countries but not all and I can't help thinking that part of the problem is not enough English players in the top premiere league clubs.
    At least all the hype is over.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    For my money football is full of problems worldwide and is essentially an exercise in money-making all round.

Meanwhile, we've had another good morning at cricket (apart from poor A Cook who is going through a very dry spell) and the two newbies are playing with great maturity.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    footballers are paid too much for just kicking a ball around perhaps if they had less money they would work harder and not think about their holidays.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Joan you are spot on,I feel for the fans that have spent hard earned money booking tickets hotels and so on...now they have to come home .while the players travel home in style and back to being pampered...yes roll on Monday Wimbledon... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    There are times when performance related pay seems appropriate...After all if you get paid obscene amounts of money regardless of whether you do the job or not then why exert yourself.
  • stickywicket
    I don't think they didn't try. I just think they weren't good enough. Uruguay has the smallest population of any of the countries in the world cup - a third of the population of Greater London. And we still couldn't beat them.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Am I right in thinking that Uruguay have won the WC twice? :? It seems to me that our players are over-paid spoiled brats whereas in other countries the players appreciate the honour they have been awarded. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that Uruguay have won the WC twice? :?

Yes they won in 1930 and 1950, the first and fourth competitions. We have never beaten them in a world cup match.

I thought England played well compared to previous squads. At least they got near the goal and you felt they had a chance.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    At least I was watched the 1st game with a cold beer in my hand in Crete and the 2nd England game was on in the Airport while we waited for our flight home. It was quite funny when everyone was boarding the plane looking sombre, it could have been so different if they had won there would have been cheering and beer flowing on the flight home instead it was very quiet and I thing most people including myself slept most of the way home!!
  • stickywicket
    bubbadog wrote:
    It was quite funny when everyone was boarding the plane looking sombre, it could have been so different if they had won there would have been cheering and beer flowing on the flight home

:shock: I think a flight with beer flowing would come into my 'worst nightmare' categories. 'Sombre' is good :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I was cheffing last night whilst the England capitulation was in full-swing - it was so yawn-inducing that Radio5Live switched their commentary to the Italy / Uruguay match thanks to the idiocy of Luiz Suarez. That man must have mental issues: it should be three bites and you're out. DD
  • Slosh
    Agree with you wholeheartedly about Suarez except I think once was enough. It's disgusting that he is allowed to get away with such behaviour especially when he will be idolised by so many boys, all these top flight footballers need to remember that they are role models. It should be the end of his career. This behaviour wouldn't be tolerated in any other job.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    An interesting point, Slosh. I think it might well be tolerated in other jobs in which money is paramount. We've seen bankers get away with daylight robbery and people at the top of huge institutions being given massive pay-offs for failing. Football, I think, probably does regard itself as 'too big to fail' and above normal rules.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    I suppose as a teacher my worry is the extent to which top flight footballers are seen as "heroes" and role models by so many children, mainly boys who look up to them and want to be like them, especially when there is no father or positive male role model at home.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    I quite agree and am with you 100%, Slosh. Not only no father figures but, in primary schools, often no male teachers either.

My point is that there is little will in football to deal with such issues strongly as that means loss of revenue and, as we all know, revenue is the driving force. I don't understand why, in such circumstances, the person who has been - in this case - bitten, doesn't simply sue for assault instead of assuming it's just an internal football matter. Presumably, because he is encouraged not to by the 'authorities' lest it creates ongoing bad publicity.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Good point Sticky, and it doesn't happen in cricket.
    Very lucky in that in the primary school I work in, when I'm not on sick leave that is, has a number of male teachers and teaching assistants which is great for the children.
    Julian of Norwich