Feeling dislocated!

Helaz
Helaz Member Posts: 5
edited 24. Jun 2014, 09:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have severe pain in my thumb joint and it feels like it is on fire and the most distressing thing is that it feels as though it is dislocated! :(

I have been docs and am awaiting an appointment with Orthopaedics but it is a long time coming!! They seem rather reluctant to believe how much pain I am in, maybe it is my age or maybe the fact that I carry on with my daily activities as best I can.

Any tips on how to deal or cope??!

I am at the point where the only option I see is to break my wrist then they'll HAVE to look at it!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :shock: Crikey Moses, Helaz, I really wouldn't go down that route if only because wrists are very complicated joints and, besides, OA can often set in at the site of a former fracture.

I'm so sorry to hear you're in a lot of pain though. It's very debilitating and, like the fire you describe, all-consuming. I doubt the docs don't care about your pain. It's just that, with OA, they are limited in what they can do – pain relief, anti-inflammatories, physio or a Pain Clinic which teaches techniques for dealing with pain.

What pain relief are you currently taking? Have you tried supporting your thumb by eg strapping it to your fingers or palm to immobilise it for periods?

I'm assuming it's not dislocated even if it feels as though it is as a GP should be able to tell. Thumb – and finger joints – can be very painful when they kick off. My OA came as a result of years of RA. I think every finger and thumb joint is well and truly dislocated by now but at least they're rarely painful these days. I well remember the days when they were.

Well done on continuing with daily activities but do try to give your thumb a rest sometimes. Which activities make it particularly bad?

Sorry, too many questions :roll: I'll shut up now :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Helaz
    Helaz Member Posts: 5
    Stickywicket

I am currently taking Acupan. Due to other medications I am not allowed NSAIDs, which is a pain, pardon the pun. Have been physio, twice. Once when lived in London and again when moved out of London.

The second physio said 'short of immobilising my thumb for 6 weeks (so not an option, single parent with a toddler) not much else she could do but give me a thumb splint.

Doc in London injected right thumb joint/tendon with a corticosteroid, didnt really do much but make it worse. But the left is worse.

As for which activities make it particularly bad, each and every one.

I have resorted to making a fist with my thumb against the palm of my hand and doing what I can like that.

Quite comical sometimes. Really has made me think how much rely on just 1 of my thumbs!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There's nothing quite like the hot pain of OA - I have it all over the place thanks to my other arthritis but I prefer the OA because it is more honest in its manifest.

As Sticky said, there is not a great deal to be done apart from resting the join, pain relief and maybe an anti-inflammatory drug, all to tide you over until you are able to see the orthopaedic surgeon. The appointment will turn up in due course and, by then, it may be apparent that he can do something to help; I know that thumb joints can be replaced but, as with all replacement joints, a certain level of damage must be reached first before one is considered. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    How are things today, helaz?
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    :oops: My apologies, helaz. I missed your reply to my previous post. In my defence I've had a long morning and a long trek through the hospital in order to experience the wonderful 3-yearly delight of a mammogram :roll:

Steroid jabs are odd beasts in that they work for some but not others. I've not heard of acupan but guess it's just a painduller. Which is all anything does really.

I can empathise as my fingers and thumbs were at their worst when my boys were little. I used wrist splints (They were bad too. Now fused) when I could as there were no finger or thumb splints around at the time. Has / does the thumb splint help at all? Thumbs are very important and we don't realise how much we use them until we can't. You have at least worked out your own way of immobilising it which will help but nowhere near enough.
    What would have been involved in the immobilisation ie was it a treatment in itself or a necessary aftermath of eg fusion? Tough choices.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Helaz
    And welcome to the forum, I have had my thumbs injected ..they have worked well , but boy dont you know about it when it wears off,I have been offered an op to remove the offending bone in the thumb, but I have declined for the min ..I am waiting to have my second hip replaced... :!: the most relief I get is with the hand splints they support my thumb and wrist and make things a lot easier..so you ask about them...it must be such hard work having to bring up your family like this...I have learned from this forum that you have to shout to be heard... :)
    Love
    Barbara