I've done my shopping list.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 28. Jun 2014, 16:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
He will be going to a well-known-orange-themed supermarket tomorrow (because he will be cheffing for our visiting friends) and I wrote a short list of essentials on our blackboard.

Dried crushed chillis.

Fresh red and green chillis (because somehow I ordered a bag of yellow ones via the interweb, dozy mare :roll: )

New bones for wife.

I am not sure what prompted the the last item but I will leave it there so he understands that things for me aren't that wonderful.

I have spent a frustrating afernoon watching Venus Williams playing some very good tennis despite being diagnosed with Sjorgren's in 2011. I don't have Sjogren's but if I did I would rather like her version. Yup, miaoooow! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    New bones? Greedy monster :o Your bones are OK and, in any case, you won't get any useable ones from the supermarket. What you require is new joints for said bones and I very much hope you can get some soon.

However, don't be like my 80+ yr old neighbour. He has finally agreed to see about the new knee he should have sorted over 30 years ago. I asked him when it would be. “I see the pathologist :shock: next week” he replied.

Venus Williams and Sjorgrens, Phil Mickelson and PsA – yup, it's a different arthritic world if you're an American with pots of money. It buys you instant access to the best physicians.

However, if you're an American without pots of money the situation is entirely different. Obamacare has ensured that insurers can't discriminate against you due to pre-existing conditions but the very basic medical insurance still costs $200 per month – and you get fined if you don't pay it.

It's an interesting point though. Do these sporting celebs make life better or worse for the rest of the arthritic world?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Do you think he could pick up a bag of energy and some optimism for me while he's out?
    Yesterday I met an acquaintance who has RA and is taking Humira. Hers is a success story, she looks, and says she feels wonderful. She advised me to try it. When I said I had, but it hadn't worked for me, she didn't seem to believe me! Yes, I'm pleased it is working for her, but our meeting didn't exactly make my day :?
    Hope you have fun with your friends.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hello DD
    put on your list some joints of lamb or beef.
    they wont help but you would have plenty of follower's
    take care
    sue is in hospital with a sprained foot she asked if she could have bed rails they said you will have to promise you wont climb out so she had to sign a lot of paper. she has not walked for 30 years
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I had a similar thought this morning when I got an email asking me to sign up for next year's London Marathon. It's from a charity who support people with physical disabilities. I know carers and families will receive those emails too but it is a kick in the teeth.

I am pondering on Sticky's comment "Do these sporting celebs make life better or worse for the rest of the arthritic world?". I think these celebs, especially around the time of the Paralymics, can bring out a lot of inane comments from 'helpful' people to those who are impaired in any way. I think I've shared this story before but my grandma has her lower leg amputated due to a tumour not long before the 2012 games. You would not believe the comments she got from people who thought she they were being witty, saying she could be a blade runner. She was 80 at the time and grieving her old life. I also got "it doesn't matter if you're disabled, you could still be a paralympic athlete." What tosh! Even before my disability, I never had the skills, determination nor motivation to become an athlete. I never had any desire to do so and any more than your average Jo. Sigh!

I've rambled there, sorry. If Mr DD finds any new bones at the orange supermarket, please do share his findings. The other big supermarket of the non-orange variety delivered my shopping today but no new bones to be seen. Not a smidgen of energy nor a bright shiny new joint to be found anywhere in the many bags.

Yet, we plod along because sometimes, we have to.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Starburst wrote:
    I also got "it doesn't matter if you're disabled, you could still be a paralympic athlete." What tosh!

Indeed! Paralympic motto - 'Spirit in Motion'. Well, anyone looking at my motion wouldn't give much for my spirit :lol: The paralympics are good for the people for whom they were founded - those who have lost a limb or two but are, essentially, young, strong and healthy. Those of us who are none of these can still enjoy sport but our forte is to compete against ourselves and strive to achieve some minimal improvement. I am currently searching for a toddler who I can hammer at cricket or football in the garden. My own two grandsons are now way ahead of me at 7 and 4 :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    New bones wouldn't that be wonderful, I think if we all put our minds together we could have our own team for the Paralympics..sure I could manage blow football :roll: ..its scary stuff having to pay $200 per month for basic treatment :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    If he didn't find new bones I hope he at least had the wit to come home with a consolation prize such as wine, chocolate or similar. It's a good way to say it though. I always struggle to just say 'I hurt, today is bad'.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter