Acid reflux

emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 30. Jun 2014, 06:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

Does anyone else suffer from acid reflux? I'm getting it quite badly now and am thinking of going to the docs about it. My mum suggested omeprizole, but I checked online and as I'm on methotrexate, it says they interact with each other so not recommended together.

So I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything else for acid reflux that's ok to take with MTX?

I do take the liquid Gaviscon but it doesn't seem to be helping much!
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've had reflux for years and take Omeprazole which controls it. Perhaps speak to your doctor to see if there is something else that you can take.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've taken omep with meth for years but it's prescribed by my GP and we both know the cause of my stomach problems. Don't self-prescribe. See your GP. Alternatively (or additionally) you could try smaller meals more frequently, ensure you don't lie down or bend down after eating and do beware of citrus, tomato, chocolate, spicy or fatty foods, alcohol, fizzy drinks, coffee, tea and smoking.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I've got OA, not RA, so afraid I can't help you with your question about omeprazole and RA meds. However, I do have acid reflux, which affects my larynx, not my oesophagus. Lanzoprazole did very little for me, unfortunately and I'm waiting for an endoscopy to check for hiatus hernia. Do you take Gaviscon Advance? This is the one which works best for reflux. Lots of good advice already given, and I would agree that it's best to see your GP and talk it over.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Megrose – may I ask how it affects your larynx and, in particular, do you have swallowing problems? I can get this from time to time and it's scary when it's just totally blocked.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I'm another one who is on meth and omeprazole - as directed by my GP. Definitely worth a visit to them, if you are on anything other than the meth then doubly so because it is worth knowing you are experiencing reflux. Some meds can cause it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Megrose489
    Hi Sticky. No, thankfully, I've not had any swallowing difficulties, although it can be one of the symptoms. I can imagine how frightening that would be.
    I have what feels like a lump at the back of my throat, my throat gets sore and my voice becomes very hoarse and croaky, especially if I talk a lot! :roll: Also, particularly after eating or drinking, I have to constantly clear my throat. I had the camera up my nose and my vocal chords were inflamed, so laryngopharyngeal reflux or silent reflux (because there's no heartburn) was the diagnosis. I've read somewhere - I do like to do my research! - that when the reflux affects your larynx,and not your oesophagus, it can be more difficult to treat. PPI drugs, like Omeprazole and Lansoprazole don't work as well on it.
    I belong to a choir and I've had to give it a miss over the past few months as my throat was very croaky and sore after rehearsals. The musical director has now suggested that maybe I could learn the alto line ,quietly, at rehearsal and then just sing properly at the concerts, where we only usually sing 6 or 7 songs. So, when I've seen the consultant again, I think that's what I'm going to do.
    I apologise for highjacking your thread, emsjane. I hope you see your GP soon and get your reflux sorted. Do let us know how you get on.

Meg
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    Hi i have oa and are taken naproxen and get the reflux all the time. but i didnt say the doc when i was there. I thought it was the tablets.
    Stickywicket i read coffee and tomatos ,spicy food. I do take a lot of coffe about 5 to 8 a day . maybe thats the problem.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    How much coffee? :shock: Ye gods. :? You should tell your doctor everything that's happening with you because, although they cannot wave magic wands, they should be aware of what is going on. I stopped coffee and red wine many moons ago, I don't know why because I don't feel a clear benefit but they felt, smelled and tasted wrong. :( I love spicy food and chew well (at least 30 times per mouthful, and yes, I count every one); so far so good viz. indigestion. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose489
    Any form of caffeine is a big no-no for acid reflux. It's certainly worth trying to stop drinking so much coffee, celebrationb, and see whether it makes a difference. The thing that I miss most is chocolate. :cry:
  • stickywicket
    celebrationb - as Megrose says, coffee is a big no-no with acid reflux. I can't even drink tea when mine's bad. In any case, so much coffee is bad in other ways too so you might find it better to replace some of it with eg herbal teas or just plain water. However, you should be taking a stomach protecting med if you're on naproxen. Do ask your GP for one.

megrose - mine is silent reflux too. I've had a hiatus hernia for years. I, too, had the nasal camera and, basically, nothing works as it should :roll: (No, really :lol: ?) I feel for you if you're a singer. It must be so annoying and frustrating. Ah well, onwards and upwards, eh?
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, the internet, that ever-reliable source of incorrect information. I too am on meth (plus much other junk) and take omep when I need to take my diclofenac. I am now trying to persuade my husband to ask for omep because he is taking ever-increasing amounts of diclo/nap for his gout bouts and his indigestion is increasing. Mind you, he's a bloke so won't do anything about it - they're his guts so he can live with the results. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    I have taken Omeprozole for acid reflux, stomach ulcers and hiatus hernia and am on Methotrexate, RA - no doc has said not to mix the two so I haven't heard of this before.

Kath
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Thanks for all your replies. I will definitely go to docs and ask about omeprazole.
    LOVE EMMA X