Rheumatology Appointment

19smp59
19smp59 Member Posts: 105
edited 29. Jun 2014, 18:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have a first rheumatology appointment in August and wondered what to expect. I have been referred due to having dry eyes, mouth and symptoms of Reynauds. The blood tests that my GP did for auto-immune disease came back negative which half made me think this appointment was a waste of time but I have decided to go ahead with it.

I have also been having investigations for microcytic anaemia, the cause of which has still not been found and wonder whether it is worth mentioning this to the rheumatologist.

Many thanks in advance.

Suzanne

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it sounds like you have lots to mention so if you are anything like me it might be worth writing a few bullet points down to remind yourself of what needs to be said. Questions - expect those, lots of them, gently put to you but exhausting to try and remember the answers if you are a bit nervous. It might help to have kept a bit of a diary of symptoms - such as when are things worst in the morning, noon or night. They will probably ask you about other existing conditions. Often they will do blood tests (more detailed than your GP) and sometimes you will have your joints examined too. If you think you might be nervous do take a friend, partner or somebody with you to hold your hand and help you remember what happened afterwards. Be ready with any questions you might have too.

There will be more people along who will probably say lots more to help you but hopefully that is a start.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • 19smp59
    Lignum Vitae thank you so much. I don't think I will be particularly nervous but definitely need to write things down as I know I'm terrible for forgetting things and then come away thinking, oh I wish I'd said such a thing!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Suzanne
    I'm with LV make a list of anything you think will be of help, I have just had a rheumy appointment after 5 years of OA..he took me back to my childhood not easy has I am 64... :roll: asked about any pain and stiffness..how long the stiffness lasted,and did I have pain most of the day, and how was it at night.
    Also he felt my fingers nails and toe nails and said they were pitted so had nail clipping taken, and asked what joints were painful and did I have any swelling in them, he examined my back because I have a lot of pain there, and ordered blood test and an MRI of my spine and sacroiliac joint even though I have had a spine MRI before, and a ultrasound of my hands.
    He also asked did I ever have any rashes I don't, but then he said do you get one in the sun and I always do, and do I have a dry mouth, I do but thought it might be down to the meds I take,I also took a list of meds and he was very grateful it meant he could just copy it out.
    I do hope the appointment goes well for you it all depends on who you get, but please take your list and make sure you have yoursay about things you are worried about...good luck and please let us know how it goes..ps I am waiting for my results..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    There's a long thread, currently at the bottom of this page but maybe, by the time you see this, on Page 2. It by Toots and concerns her first appointment. She gave a lot of detail about everything in the hope that it might help others.

Yes, (re anaemia) mention anything that could possibly connected. I've not heard of microcyic anaemia but I do know, from experience, that RA can cause anaemia and so can the meds prescribed for it :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • 19smp59
    Thanks everyone for your helpful replies, I have also had a look at the post written by Toots, which is really helpful.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Good luck with your appointment let us know how you get on..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • 19smp59
    Thank you Marie, I will do. It's not until August but I am getting as much information as I can. Suzanne xx