About to start Abatacept - anyone else on it?

merri
merri Member Posts: 190
edited 25. Jul 2014, 16:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Is anyone else on it? I'm on Methatrexate injections, Hydrochloxiquinine tablets, Cimzia and steroid jabs every 6 weeks roughly, and the RA's still not under control.

I fit every criteria apparently for seropositive except for the blood test, so the nurse is keeping a close eye on me. I'm just about to start Abatacept infusions so fingers crossed that helps!

I was just wondering if anyone else is on it?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello merri :D It's lovely to see you again but I'm so sorry for the reason. I've been lucky enough never to need the biologics so I can't help but I do hope the abatacept is the one. I wish you the very best of luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    kenlawson wrote:
    However, this medicine does not cure arthritis

:o No? Oh dear :lol: How disappointing!
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't think I've had this one (drugs are known by different names e.g. adalimumab is also humira) but I hope it helps because you cannot carry on as you are, can you? Is this to replace the steroid injections? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • merri
    lol thanks Ken. I've done some research on T cell biologics :) Anti TNFs didn't work, so we're going for the next step up (well 2 steps up anyway)

dreamdaisy - thanks :) I think at the moment it will be as well as the steroid injections, at least until the inflammation calms down. It's one of the infusion drugs :)

Stickywicket - than k you :) I can't carry on as I am, I'm 32 and I'm housebound most of the time, bedbound sometimes too. I'm not prepared for this to be it.

My RA's just completely out of control and running riot, tipping over tables, laughing gleefully and turning the place upside down lol

Thank you for the replies :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello merri
    Sorry I cant help ,but just want to add my support and wish you well on the meds, it must be scary for you, but who know it might be a newish beginning x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    I'd no idea things were so bad but you're still looking to give it a good hiding which is great. I shall have everything crossed that this is the missing piece of the jigsaw. Good luck!
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I too hope it helps - the last thing any of us need is our unwanted lodger behaving in such an unruly fashion. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi Merri i very much hope it works for you and gives a better quality of life,let us know if you want pocket duties.Mig
  • merri
    Thank you barbara, SW, DD and mig

I'm not going to lie, I'm struggling majorly and the RA and Fibro are kicking my backside in a huge way; flare after flare.

I'm lucky really as the Biologics nurse is very much on my side and is just lovely. My RA is proving to be very drug resistant, and typical of sero-positive, even though my blood results come back negative.

I'm just exhausted all of the while, housebound the majority of the time, and when I go out for an hour I've had it for the rest of the day and the next.

Could be worse though, right? :)
  • stickywicket
    Merri, you are in a very tough situation and no doubt about it. Maybe it could be worse. Who knows? Which of us can judge another's pain? I just hope the new med works. ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • merri
    Thank you SW :)

I have my next dose next week so fingers firmly crossed :)
  • stickywicket
    Mine too :D Let's know how it goes.
    Steven Wright
  • merri
    SW :)

Nothing as yet, but can take up to 12 weeks to take effect......:)

M x