Methotrexate

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 3. Jul 2014, 15:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am now taking 10 meth tablets a week on a Monday and 2 Hydroxy a day with 1 Folic Acid on Wednesdays. How do others take the meth ie all at once or staggered over the day. I have always taken all at once which is what I was told when I first started it but I was only taking 4 then 6 then 8 and I was OK. Now I am taking 10 it seems to make me feel nauceous in the night. I take it with my main meal usually around 5 or 6 pm. I have only had this since it was put up to 10. Does anyone else stagger the meth over the day it has to be taken. Thought I would ask on here as I don't see consultant until July. Thanks for reading this. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've always taken my meth with breakfast - straight down the hatch whatever the dose. I was on 22.5 at one point. But I didn't have problems with it. I think it's OK to split the dose but do check it out with your rheumatology helpline.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I have taken the full 10 tablets (25mg) all at one time. I took them at night. I didn't see the logic in staggering the dose and wanted to get it over with as they made me quite nauseous. Having a meal with them helps.

It never hurts to check with the rheum office and perhaps they can suggest something to help with the nausea. For myself, I take ginger anti-nausea tablets. They help a little, so does eating a good high protein meal for some reason.

Best wishes.
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    I was told to split them but take 10 at one time with meal at mid day , as for folic acid I take six a week & dont get any side effects from methotrexate

talk to your rheumy nurse about it , should take their advice anyway
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Valde nice to see you posting ,when I was on meth I was told I could split the dose ,so I would take half the pills on a Monday and half on a Thursday,unfortunately I had to stop as they didn't suit me.I would do as Sticky suggests though and check with rheumatology first. Mig
  • valde
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies, as I still feel sicky this morning I will ring rheumy nurse line. Feel disappointed because I have only felt like this since the increase 2 weeks ago. Thanks again will let you know what happens.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Your body may need a little more time to adjust to the increase in dose so don't give up hope just yet. I know of others on here who have split the dose but only over a day - or do as Boomer did and take them later in the day so you can sleep through the worst. It is best to consult with your rheumatology unit, however. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Just a thought - I always take it with food. Just a little helps. Please let us know how you get on.
    Steven Wright
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Hi Valde,
    Would you not consider injecting? I started this a year ago, and the nausea stopped almost immediately. I am also on hydroxy, and was recently put on leflunomide. My blood results are now normal and for the first time in 2 years I feel great!!
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I always took mine in one go. The nausea was too bad though so now I'm on injections. Much easier on the system.
    Having said that, my ALT has risen once again. Now its 96. Was down to a lovely 26 after being 106!
    I'm seeing my new rheumy in the morning. I hope they don't stop me taking it as it's really helping me.

Best wishes with the meth. Let us know how you go on.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valde
    Options
    Just thought I would let you know. I was advised by Nurse to split my 10 meth tabs to 5 am and 5 pm. I have done this for the last 2 weeks and it has worked. No nausea thank goodness. She said my stomach probably could not take the 10 all at once. Hope this is of help to anyone else who has this problem although check with your nurse first. Thanks all for replies and suggestions.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am pleased that this is working for you, Valde, thank you for letting us know. Good luck with the new regime! :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Excellent news, valde. I'm so pleased you sorted it out. Well done and thanks for letting us know :D
    Steven Wright