Ideas on a postcard please

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 8. Jul 2014, 07:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
My OH and I are hoping to get away for our holiday in Norfolk in a couple of weeks. (I say 'hope' as he has to have a biopsy next week under a general and if he's not well enough afterward we won't be able to go). We'll be travelling from Kent to a small village about 30 miles from Diss and want to stop off on the way in Ipswich.

We're hoping to go to Norwich for the market one of the days we're there and want a stop en-route as we can't get into the B&B until 4pm.

Do any of you have local knowledge regarding things we could visit for a hour or two that wouldn't take us too far off the beaten track? Perhaps something in Ipswich itself? Needs to have blue badge parking and be accessible for me though.

Ideas would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Grace :)

I did know Ipswich quite well going back about 25 years, but my memory has faded :oops:

I do remember though it had a good shopping centre compared to where I lived in Sudbury at the time.

Sorry to be no help at all however I do hope your husband's biopsy goes well and he is ok.

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sorry, I can't help either. The nearest I've been is Cambridge and I could go back there over and over again.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I live in Ipswich so can suggest the following: Christchurch park is beautiful and has at least two areas of dedicated, free disabled parking. The closest pub to it is The Woolpack but access can be a little tricky if one is reliant on a rollator (it can be done, however, it's my local :wink: ), it serves food all day and is excellent.

The Marina is a pretty area, with bars, restaurants and a few shops. I recommend The Last Anchor for lunch, you can have two courses for a tenner and the food is good. You can sit outside if the weather is suitable (inside is pleasant too) and watch the boats bobbing up and down in the Marina. It's all on the flat and parking is straightforward - and free. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Have a great time Grace,likeToni my memory of Norfolk has faded but do remember a lovely donkey sanctury some very good pubs and gypsy caravans on the roadside past
    The famous LAmbourne oh don't forget the sea side toxx
  • GraceB
    Thank you all for your replies.

DD - as usual you are a wonderful lady! I very much appreciate you giving me such a full and detailed reply. I shall be printing this topic off and we will be finding the park and the Marina.

I rely on walking sticks or crutches but I can imagine the sight that the locals will behold if I lurch into the pub after heaven knows how long sitting in the car. I'll be staggering around like the proverbial drunken sailor, who wants a) the loo; b) a large coffee; and c) something to eat.

If we see a very elegant lady strolling around with delightful deportment but using a rollator of course I will know straight away it will be you!

Thanks again.
    GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Drive up Westerfield Road and turn left into the park (or alternatively drive down it and turn right). Park up, toddle back to the entrance, turn left and walk up the road a little and lo! On the other side of the road you will see the pub - you can then stroll in with an insouciant air and no-one will be any the wiser. :wink:

The Last Anchor, however, is easier to access, the views are better and more interesting. Both places have websites so you can find the postcodes and see them on Google Earth. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    Thanks DD. I will print this topic off and we'll put it with our other paperwork.

We hope to go still. My partner had prostate biopsies done today under a GA (he has a low grade diagnosis) and as long as he's well enough we hope to have our mini break. Additionally our cat is poorly (wonderful timing - not!) and so far the vet bill this week is just under £80 and she's still to pick up. It all started with the cat two doors down launching an attack on her as she went through her cat flap last Saturday morning.

So, today it was vets 9.45am; and then get my other half into hospital for 12noon. This was followed by hours of tedious sitting around for me - guess who won't be moving very well tomorrow - and then more driving!

Vets said my cat had a temperature (nearly 40 degrees; normal is 39 and they convulse at 42 degrees). She had yet more antibiotics injected in, plus an anti-inflammatory but she's still not eating.

Now - I must go and buy shares in that hair dye I use. I suspect I'm going to need loads.

Take care and thank you again.

GraceB
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Grace hope you sort out poorly cat ,and you have a lovely holiday get your hair done to xx
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    How is poor kitty now :( We had a 'cat-two-doors-down' of that sort so I sympathise.

And depending on that how are the plans - still on?
  • GraceB
    Cat is better thanks although it's taken a week to get her there.

OH doing well.

Touch wood, looks like this mini-break of ours is on, all being well.

GraceB
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Grace. Just wanted to wish you, your OH & the cat the very best. I really hope you manage to get your mini break. We have many of those. In fact we just got back from Skegness about four this afternoon.
    We must get to that part of the country at some point too..

xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    PS... I really miss Ra & Cleo :cry::cry:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • GraceB
    Thanks Tony. We still desperately miss Camilla who we lost last December (she was 18.5 yrs when we lost her due to a stroke). We'd been watching her for a while but had really hoped she'd see another Christmas but it wasn't to be.

I still sometimes have people to say me 'it was only a cat'. Needless to say, these are people who haven't had any pets so they don't appreciate that pets become a much loved member of your family and not 'just an animal'.

However, we can both reassure ourselves that we both did the absolute best we could for our much missed old buddies and although it hurt tremendously giving the instruction to the vet at the end, I knew it was the last thing I could do for Camilla.

You too, know that your buddies were much loved and very well cared for.

We go away on Monday - thankfully!

You take care of yourself,
    GraceB