Limping again

krisbe
krisbe Member Posts: 95
edited 14. Jul 2014, 12:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
I stopped my exercises as instructed by the physio about a week ago. However since Tuesday I have started limping again. I dont know why this is. I have been going to the gym once a week and exercising on the bike, rower, cross trainer and treadmill and very gently on the hip abductor. Do you think it is because I have stopped the other exercises as now I am back at work full time, I dont have time to do them and I am sitting down all the time. I am getting so stiff too. Physio told me what I could do at gym, only about 5 mins on each.

Comments

• krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    krisbe wrote:
    I stopped my exercises as instructed by the physio about a week ago. However since Tuesday I have started limping again. I dont know why this is. I have been going to the gym once a week and exercising on the bike, rower, cross trainer and treadmill and very gently on the hip abductor. Do you think it is because I have stopped the other exercises as now I am back at work full time, I dont have time to do them and I am sitting down all the time. I am getting so stiff too. Physio told me what I could do at gym, only about 5 mins on each.

I am about 4.5 months post THR now. My muscles in my thigh are still a bit sore too.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That sounds a reasonable explanation to me - you've gone from doing a steady amount of exercise to doing not much at all, with added sitting so no wonder you're stiffening up. One way to help yourself may be to walk around your office every half an hour or so? As for the soreness well, there's probably still some deep healing to be done, it takes us years to reach the point where an op is required and it will therefore take time after to fully heal and recover. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sitting down all the time is not good for anyone but, in your case, it could either be that or the exercise. Is all the gym exercise new? Were you doing it while seeing the physio? I don't think we can say what's causing it. Can you ask for a telephone appointment with the physio? If the gym is a new addition and replaces the exercises given by the physio, why not go back for a while to the latter, give up the gym while doing so, ensure you keep moving around at work and see how that pans out? If there's no improvement you'll need to ask someone in the know.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello krisbe
    I am 12 moth post op THR , and even now I cant sit for to long, could you get up and walk about at work suppose that would help
    Love
    Barbara