Smart phone - how do I silence this?

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 31. Jul 2014, 12:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi,

Can any of you techies out there tell me if there's a way to make a windows smartphone silent rather than it ringing out? This is a new smartphone to me - I got it yesterday - and I cannot work that one out.

I'm away this next week in Norfolk but when I go back to work I'll need to have this on silent so it just vibrates if I get a call.

I have managed to match it up with my wifi at home, set the date and time, put a test appointment on the calendar, choose a ring tone and get rid of the icons on the front screen I don't want.

The phone's not currently 'live' - probably be Monday or Tuesday so I'm wondering if this is a possibility once the phone is live?

My friend's 14 yr old son is going to teach me how to use this properly when I'm back from a short break in Norfolk (go Monday 14th) and I know he'll talk me through what else I need to learn. However, I thought it worth asking.

I'll do my best to put a cohesive response to this post during the week but this will be via my tablet and although I've used that in the past for looking at the forum I've always used my laptop for putting actual posts on.

Thanks in advance.

Take care everyone,
GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Mine has a sliding button on the side - left hand as you look at the screen - it slides one way to 'sound', the opposite way to 'silent', hope this may help!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Grace I have a samsung phone so not the same, but I use my volume slider on the side..hope this helps
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Mine also has a small switch on the side that you flick . Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I turn mine off. Mobiles have their uses but also a major drawback, namely they demand instant attention. They are a curious mixture of rude, essential, demanding and useful. I frequently remind myself that I am the boss. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I either go in to settings, sound then either mute or on or I use the slider on the right hand side of my phone.
    Christine
  • GraceB
    Thank you all so very much. I knew you'd know what I should do. Mind you, when you have to ask such questions it does rather make one look a little like a fool! :oops:

DD - I too agree with your thoughts. My mobile is usually turned off when I'm at home as I'm not 'mobile' then. My late neice once asked me why my mobile wasn't on one night. I told her that as I wasn't 'mobile' my mobile phone was off and she should have called me on the house phone. Not difficult! My nephew asked me 18 months ago why I wasn't on a certain social networking site beginnng with 'F' as I could have been his 'friend'. I said I was his Aunt and that was far better than being his friend. He has never mentioned it since ...

Thanks again everyone.

Take care,
    GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, mine is on and with me in the house in case I fall and need to summon help. I turn it off when the Husband is around because all I need to do then is yell. :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I couldn't survive without my phone on me :o it is constantly switched on and only on silent when in the doctors, hospitals etc..
    I love my phone and use it all the time.. I currently have a sam#ung galaxy S3. Hoping to upgrade to the S5 towards the back end of the year when the contract runs out.
    it has billions of reminders and alarms for everything you could imagine... I have a desperately poor memory and without it I would forget everything and anything lol.. it is the only way I can remember the multitude of appointments and birthdays etc.
    it may as well be stitched into my hand.
    mind you, I do use it to it's full potential.
    I am forever using the camera and internet.. :):D it is definately the SMART out of the two of us :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    I've got a new smartphone and although my previous phone had wifi I was too scared to use it so only sent texts or telephoned people. Now though I have whatsapp and facebookmessenger. I only installed them as my daughter was going to India for over 3 weeks. The whatsapp meant that she could send me pictures and messages for free and the facebookmessenger meant we could ring each other for free!!!! It was a godsend as it would have cost a fortune to ring her in India. My son is now touring round europe so it's being used again. I can recommend it to anyone.
  • GraceB
    Well it took from 11th July until this Tuesday (29th July) for the phone to come to life. In the interim I have already had one month's fees refunded from the company I did this through and have been promised a further refund as they acknowledged it too far too long. My 14 day change of mind what-not was also started again from the time my phone actually went 'live' as I pointed out to the company that as I couldn't use the phone how on earth could I see if it was right for me or not?

I now know how to silence this - if you turn the volume down to nothing (or nowt as those like Tony 'up-north' would say) then it goes onto vibrate only.

I have also learnt how to add a contact, how to send texts (don't laugh - please :oops: - my other phone was easier), make and receive calls and use the internet on it, either with my wifi or the roaming thingy-majig-whatsit-doodah (I have no idea what the correct term is). I can also use the calender, put tasks on and use the calculator.

I still have to tackle the subject of setting up an account with G***le but my mate's 14 year old son has promised to help with this. This is so embarrassing.

I'll get there and in the meantime I an enjoying using this for what I need it to do.

I'm building myself up to using my tablet device to put posts on the Forum - I regularly view it that way but have not as yet logged on or put a post on with that device. So, that's my next challenge.

GraceB
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    When not using wifi the phone will use 3g or 4g if that was what you signed up for.
    :D

I am glad that things are sorted now... You will have to set up the gmail (google) to use the phone to it's full potential. Once you get to grips with it you can then connect it to your tablet.. Then you will be able to see files from your phone on your tablet.. also, if you have a smart TV you can connect the devices to that.. This way you can view ypur videos, photos etc on your big screen... advanced I know, but I have faith :wink:

Bridesmum, can I suggest another app... Viber, this is similar to watsapp but you can phone other contacts with the same app for free.. we were recently in Spain and had free wifi in the hotel, we regularly rang family back home.. had a good wifi connection so calls were nice and clear..
    Watsapp is better for sending files though as yoi can send up to 15mb.. I often send full musoc tracks to my contacts. Great way to share a love of music :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP