Just diagnosed with RA

Options
oojammyflip
oojammyflip Member Posts: 6
edited 14. Jul 2014, 13:05 in Young people's community
Hi,

I'm 24, in East Sussex, just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I don't have a lot of information.

So any help, tips or information would be fantastic.

Thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I don't have RA nor am I young, but I do have two kinds of arthritis and realise that you are now on a steep learning curve.

I take it you have seen a rheumatologist? What meds has he / she suggested? I began with sulphasalazine, then over the years others were added and taken away. How long have you been having troubles with this and where are you affected? I began with one knee but that was eighteen years ago - things have moved on. :wink: Please feel free to post on the Living with Arthritis board on here, more people look in on that one and there are many threads on there which may be of interest to you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • oojammyflip
    oojammyflip Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I've seen the rheumatologist, I'm on methotrexate, hydroxychloroquine, folic acid and celebrex. I don't know much else. Diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I may have had problems last couple of years, but being active I always thought I was injury prone, however when I stopped sports, my feet, ankles, hands and wrist were still hurting. Went to doctor and after a few tests and waiting saw rheumatologist. My right knee is also bad as well as having fluid there.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you for the meds information; as far as I can tell you are on the standard introductory meds for RA, the meth subdues your immune system as does the hydroxy, the folic acid is meant to minimise any side-effects from the meth and Celebrex is an anti-inflammatory. My auto-immune arthritis began in my left knee but no-one recognised it for what it was until far too late; this doesn't appear to be the case for you so, hopefully, your outcome will be better. They can take time to build in the body (and things may appear to worsen before they improve) but hang on in there because you are on the right course. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben