Chiropractic and OsteoArthritis

silkysam
silkysam Member Posts: 113
edited 14. Jul 2014, 15:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
Advice needed please. Has anyone had any experience with Osteoarthritis and Disc problems and used Chiropacticer please. If so what was your experience? Thanks so much for advice

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My GP advised against a Chiropractor as he said they would just say I needed loads of sessions and he didn't think it would be effective. The first physio I saw tried some manipulation but it was to painful. Once I had my diagnosis which showed that my arthritis is putting pressure on my spinal cord it wasn't reccomended.
    Don't know how helpful that is but I would ask your GP for advice.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • silkysam
    Thanks for reply :) . I know I have OA in right hip and lower spine also twp prolapsed discs. Unbearable Sciatica type pain at the moment. So quite desperate.Thanks again Slosh :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I, too, would ask a GP. Have you tried physio?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    From what I know of chiropractic methods it can be very effective for things such as slipped discs (i.e. things that can be improved, my Pa swore by his and an osteopath) but when joint degeneration is involved it may well not only be useless but also potentially harmful. I can barely tolerate a deep sports massage on my hurty joints, the thought of someone manipulating my damaged and reluctant joints is unpleasant.

I reckon that methods such as this are useful tools for the worried well, viz. those who clutter a GPs surgery on a Monday morning. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • silkysam
    Thank you all for helping me with advice and experiences. I will be seeing my GP on Wednesday so will ask him. Does anyone on this forum get Sciatica owing to Arthritic Hip? Once again, thanks for much appreciated helpand interaction. Makes me feel less isolated
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I know there are some who have sciatica but they tend to post on the Living with Arthritis board on here: ChitChat is described (under its board heading) as an arthritis-free zone so it may be worth your while re-posting on LWA where you may garner more replies: not everyone looks in on here. My Ma had sciatica but without an officially diagnosed form of arthritis; although I am not a doc I think I'm right in saying that sciatica occurs thanks to pressure on the sciatic nerve. I have constant pain in my sacro-iliac joints due to my PsA, and the same in my hips, knees and ankles thanks to that and osteoarthritis but not, as yet, sciatica. I know it's miserable and I'm saddened you are troubled by it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • silkysam
    Thanks for advice DD. I am new to posting on Arthritis Care, so appreciate any tips and guidance :)