pillow for scaffolded arthritic neck?

oldginger
oldginger Member Posts: 5
edited 4. Jun 2009, 08:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello! I've searched this forum but cannot find anything already posted about this subject so I hope someone can help. I had a cranial and cervical fixation done back in 2003 and am wondering if it's worth paying out for a memory foam pillow as I've barely slept since 2000, have constantly spent the day with a sick headache caused by this neck and would now like some sleep please! The operation stopped me from suddenly dropping down dead :D , but the head/neck pain has been constant and the surgeon said beforehand that it probably wouldn't fix the pain. I've used all sorts of pillows over the last 8 years as the disease has progressed but I haven't tried a memory foam one yet because of the cost. Has anyone else ever tried one and does it do what it's advertised as doing? I can't afford to pay out £70-£100 for something that's just a gimmick so I'd appreciate any feedback from you fellow conscripts. Many thanks. oldginger.

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have a memory foam pillow and a mattress topper which i like. I got mine off the site where you buy things, cant say the name but rhymes with hay or bay with an e in front which has reasonable prices.
  • annmary
    annmary Member Posts: 18
    Hello ginger and oneday
    oops, I did'nt realise we are not meant to say that word that rhymns with hay or bay, I did in another posting yesterday!!

Anyway ginger my sister has constant neck pain and bought her pillow and it has really helped her. It took about a week to get used to the pillow but now she even takes it on holiday.
    We have a memory foam topper which I now think how did we live without it. Have a good look around, that price you quoted is awfully high, I have seen cheaper. I got my topper from a well known company and have a 15 year guarantee, it is the thickest topper you can buy but it cost me £170 so as you can see your pillow price does seem high.
    I have seen them on one of those shopping chanels where the price eventually is around £20. (Trying now to be discreet oneday, how am I doing).

Good luck ginger
    dilly :D
  • oldginger
    oneday wrote:
    I have a memory foam pillow and a mattress topper which i like. I got mine off the site where you buy things, cant say the name but rhymes with hay or bay with an e in front which has reasonable prices.

excellent reply! I have looked at this unmentionable site and the almost perfect feedback for a seller of 1518 of these products has encouraged me to give it a try. Many, many thanks. oldginger.
  • springs65
    springs65 Member Posts: 22
    Hi I too have both mattress and pillow. I suffer from headaches most mornings, wake up with one, bit since having the pillow don't get them as much. Having said that I am having a flare up at the moment of Fibro so have a constant headache since Christmas.
    I would still recommend them but it will take you a few nights to get used to it.
  • oldginger
    Hello Dilly
    Damn my eyes! I now remember seeing some chap demonstrating some special pillows whilst idly flicking through the channels (I was flicking, he was demonstrating) just before Christmas. I've never purchased from a shopping channel before but I'll go and have a look on their website to see if they're what I'm after/still available/comparable in price with the hay or bay site.

The high prices I originally found were on the 'never knowingly undersold' site and the memory foam 'we got this idea from NASA' people.

I'm glad to hear that you and your family have also had a good experience of using this stuff. Many thanks. oldginger.
  • oldginger
    springs65 wrote:
    Hi I too have both mattress and pillow. I suffer from headaches most mornings, wake up with one, bit since having the pillow don't get them as much. Having said that I am having a flare up at the moment of Fibro so have a constant headache since Christmas.
    I would still recommend them but it will take you a few nights to get used to it.

Hello. I've read about the 'few nights' and I believe they stink a bit too, to start with, but as my sleeping is so poor and uncomfortable anyway it won't be much different to what I'm used to! I'd just like to know there's a possibility of something resembling rest somewhere in the near future. So far you've all been positive about this product which is very encouraging. Many thanks. oldginger.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    annmary wrote:
    Hello ginger and oneday
    oops, I did'nt realise we are not meant to say that word that rhymns with hay or bay, I did in another posting yesterday!!

Anyway ginger my sister has constant neck pain and bought her pillow and it has really helped her. It took about a week to get used to the pillow but now she even takes it on holiday.
    We have a memory foam topper which I now think how did we live without it. Have a good look around, that price you quoted is awfully high, I have seen cheaper. I got my topper from a well known company and have a 15 year guarantee, it is the thickest topper you can buy but it cost me £170 so as you can see your pillow price does seem high.
    I have seen them on one of those shopping chanels where the price eventually is around £20. (Trying now to be discreet oneday, how am I doing).

Good luck ginger
    dilly :D

youre doing good, dilly, got it in one, well theres two of those channels but know what you mean! :D
  • annie57
    annie57 Member Posts: 1
    I would suggest trying out the pillow first, hubby bought one of the first brand names memory pillows, years ago, he swears by it but I find it really uncomfortable.

When we changed the bed last year, we tried out two slightly different memory pillows in the shop, they felt comfy enough so bought two of them. Once again, hubby liked it but I found it made my neck ache. This was actually before my neck had started playing up, so not sure if this started it off, altho wouldn't think so. Anyway don't use mine any more. However, we have got memory foam topper on bed which is really good.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    :D Thread bumped up, for justin.
    :D
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 4. Jun 2009, 08:21
    just thought i'd add that i bought one a while back, not sure if it's good or bad.
    i've been suffering from neck pain for a while and went to a shop that ryhmes with boss, sorry, no good and subtle!!
    it cost me about £27 i think. any way, it seemed to help for the 1st week then my neck was as painful as ever, went back to normal pillow. so my nck still hurts and i don't whether to try it again or not?
    the neck pain is severe, i can barely more my head some days.
    not much help but the same shop do a neck pillow so i'm just going to investigate that now, i'll let you know what i find out.....
    to be continued!
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    well, the reviews look good, it's sold in the same shop as previous and is basically a pillow that fits round you neck. i'm considering getting one but will continue to look into it 1st!