What does ESR of 25 and rheumatoid factor of 109 nmean?

fionaH
fionaH Member Posts: 2
female 39

This RA has came on very quickly to me in the past six months and i have just had the results back from the doctors.

How bad is that ?
What can i expect?

Can't believe how debilitating this has become, sore fingers,toes,shoulders etc. You probably already know that!

Any help and tips ,gratefully accepted?

fionah x

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Fionah

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am so sorry to hear that your RA is causing you so much pain. We cannot interpret the results of your blood tests as we are not medically trained. Are you under the care yet of a rheumatologist? If you are not your GP should refer you. I would encourage you to speak to your rheumatology team about these results. There is information on diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis including blood tests on the link http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/diagnosis.aspx

Rheumatoid arthritis is unpredictable and the symptoms can come and go. Your doctors will look at treatment for you that is appropriate. There is more information on treatment and managing rheumatoid arthritis in our booklet ‘Living with rheumatoid arthritis’ that you can access on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/RAbookletApril2013-finalv2.pdf and there is information on what you can do to help manage your arthritis on our website on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement

I would also like to encourage you to call us here on the helpline for a confidential chat on 0808 800 4050 (10am – 4pm weekdays). I hope the above information is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I'm an ordinary forum member but I do know that the ESR figure is a measure for inflammation (as is CRP). My hospital is happy with ESR etc. between 0 - 3 and my current triple therapy is controlling it very nicely. I don't have a positive rheumatoid factor because my auto-immune arthritis is a sero-negative kind (I have psoriatic arthritis) so I do hope that you have been referred to a rheumatologist because they will be able to help you: GPs do not have enough knowledge about these conditions. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lawoman
    lawoman Member Posts: 2
    Hi ESR means Eurythryste Sedementation Rate an indicator used to assess your bodies inflammation factor.

Rheumatiod factor of 109 is on the high side I was informed several years ago 25- 30 and less is a normal level.

But check these out with you doctor and on line as I am no expert but a very experienced patient.
  • lawoman
    lawoman Member Posts: 2
    Regarding all your aches and pains do what ever you need to, to alleviate these. Get as much support as you can to help you with this.

Talk to your doctor and find one that is empathic and compassionate they do exist

Hope your symptoms ease very soon

:)