A joint effort.

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 4. Aug 2014, 04:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
The joints and I started a new job today. Despite the career outlook appearing positive, they are wondering how on earth they are going to cope with working 9 'till 5.30 with a 22 mile drive either way, not to mention many miles driven when visiting service users.

However, I have told my joints that we have to pull together and get through this. I have told them that we're due a humira jab in a few days and that we always feel lousy when it's effectiveness is running low. I have told them that we can do anything we put our mind to. They remain unconvinced, the stubborn little beggars.

Both they and I are hoping that the rheum will agree to a weekly dose of humira when we have our appointment in September. It's a nice little drug with no side effects but it doesn't quite stretch across the fortnight.

Come on, body, we can do this together!

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That's a long and demanding day Starburst, especially with a drive on top. Remember to pace yourself and don't be tempted to overdo things just to prove a point, something that can be easier said than done. Hope you get the weekly humira in September. Hope the first week goes well and your colleagues are friendly and supportive.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    How exciting! You started today. I hope it was a good first day.

It sounds like, typical of you, it's a challenge but you can do challenges girl, you eat them for breakfast. That said, arthritis will out regardless of will power. The weekly Humira option sounds very sensible if you can get it. Personal experience has left me believing that it's best to talk to your employer and be open. I'm lucky to have a good relationship with my boss that definitely would be classed as a friendship out of work and in work (most days) so I'm fortunate enough to feel safe and comfortable talking about my limitations and needs. He is also clever enough to recognise that where I have physical difficulties they also bring a very unique insight that can be valuable in my job and must be a real asset in your job - few people look at the world from the perspective of struggling like we do. What I'm saying is don't sell yourself short and be honest. That way people will know how they can rely on you and your joints and come to value you even if that means that you might have to do things a bit differently to your colleagues. Good luck with all that driving - get that car as comfy as possible. Go and shine Sophie xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Take it as easy as you can, my girl. The world is at your feet but you don't need to fall to find it. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Phew! It's a tough call but you have ways of making those joints work and I have every confidence that you are the woman for the job.

Just one word of advice - I'd lay of the concoction named on your Chit Chat thread, until the weekend at least :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    You go girl, but like LV says be honest with your employers and except all the help you can get...we are all behind you.... :D xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Have a good 1st day and as everyone has already said pace yourself!! And make sure when you get home you have a good rest to recharge your batteries for the next day!!
  • Starburst
    I had a meeting about my health needs with my line manager today but ended up brushing all over it with "but I cope well with it". I ended up feeling like I was putting myself down for even mentioning it. Silly me!

I know the first few weeks are going to be tough. My joints are very stiff and swollen which is making things that extra bit harder.

A small chocolate bar (not the best food for my stomach condition but hey ho, I've been good all day!) and an early night should brighten up my spirits. And no, definitley not the sort of spirits I drank last week. :o
  • stickywicket
    Silly but understandable, Sophie, and, when I say 'understandable' I mean 'been there, done that' :roll:

May we have a weekend update please to see how your first week went? I'm presuming there will be quite a lot of lounging about in recovery going on at the weekend :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    I forgot how miserable I can get when I'm flaring and I forgot how miserable I can get when returning to work/uni after a long break. The combination made me wonder if I was capable of working full-time in such a fast paced environment. However, after a week of hideously swollen joints, they look a little more normal tonight, so I'm feeling hopeful for the week ahead.

I'm quite fortunate that my team spend a lot of time working from home, so once I know the job and once I get a laptop, my 'office' will be a lot closer! I know the next year or so will be a challenge. In particular, I think the next few weeks will stretch me in every way possible. I think the best strategy is to take it day by day and not to worry too much about the long time future.
  • stickywicket
    You are giving yourself much better advice than I could, Sophie. It all sounds very sensible and I do hope it produces the desired result. Working from home will be something to look forward to. Keep at it. We're all cheering you on :D
    Steven Wright