Squashed vertebra

Options
CatLady1
CatLady1 Member Posts: 64
edited 5. Aug 2014, 06:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all
I wondered if anyone has had any personal experience of squashed vertebra. I had an x-ray on my thoratic spine and this showed two vertebra were squashed. I am booked into have a DEXA scan on Monday and there will be an MRI appointment coming as and when. I am apprehensive about the outcome of this, but am keeping very positive. I have OA, low back pain, cervical spondyolis and fibromyalgia (spellings may be bad) and can cope with pain but this is came as a shock.
Any ideas or comments would be very welcome. Gentle hugs Chris

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've no experience of this, Chris, but I do hope all goes well for you :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    So Sorry your suffering Chris, hope everything goes well for you.
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Sorry Chris, no personal experience here. But squashed vertebra is likely to be present, especially if you are someone who is likely to have osteoporosis. And that is the reason I understand, you are booked for DEXA, one of the major diagnostic tests of bone mineral density for OP :) . This is quite quick and painless and uses a very small dose of X-rays.
    Your overall treatment may include medications to relieve pain and improve bone density.
    If OP is a culprit, doc may prescribe you vitamin D and calcium supplements and other bone strengthening drugs. This is a critical part in order to avoid future fractures :wink: . Take regular exercise such as walking and weight bearing exercise. If rare cases, doc may recommend a surgical option.

Get well soon!!!
    Amanda.
  • CatLady1
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, off for a DEXA scan this afternoon and have an appointment for an MRI scan at the end of the month. Just hope its not Osteoporosis, but then again I will cope with it positively as I have my other conditions over the years.
    Chris

Keep smiling, Keep positive. :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Of course you will cope. You sound to have the right, positive attitude :) I hope it's not osteoporosis but there are quite a few of us on here with it so you will have plenty of support if it is.

I think, at first, new diagnoses seem very unfair and we rail against them but, after a while, we just add 'em to the list and carry on :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • CatLady1
    Options
    Thanks Stickey
    Add another condition to the pot, really what difference can it make. Probably more tablets to take and just get on with life.
    I smile and keep positive and get on with my life. I know where to come to get any support I need - this forum is full of lovely people.
    _____

Keep smiling Keep positive