Apologies in advance for this RA rant

Options
Scarlet
Scarlet Member Posts: 40
edited 1. Aug 2014, 06:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone
So on this beautiful sunny day I am feeling in a most terrible, angry mood. I just had a phone call from my GP surgery to explain that the doctor will not issue my mtx (I have ordered some tablets while I wait for someone to come and show me how to inject) because I am overdue on my bloods. However I had an appointment with the hospital three weeks ago, and the nurse there offered to do my bloods while I was there to save me a subsequent trip to my GPs. I asked if the results would be shared with my GP and she assured me they would. I explained this to the GP surgery but they were very snotty about it, and so now I have to go and have another blood test.

This is such a small trivial thing really, but it has really made me feel so utterly fed up! I am sick of lack of communication between the hospital and the GP, and between the hospital and company dealing with my move to injections. In the next few weeks I have a number of hospital appointments and I just really want to press the 'pause' button. Up until now I have faced my RA with a very positive attitude but I think right now I am just having one of those rare moments where I wish it would just all go away.

I have a part-time job in retail and yesterday I worked a six hour shift which does not entitle you to a break. I had been on my feet for the whole six hours, my feet were sore, my knees were aching. My boyfriend usually comes and pick me up if my finish time is after 6pm, I only live a 15 minute walk/5 minute drive away so not that far, but yesterday he decided to walk down and meet me as it was such a nice day. A nice gesture but I could've cried, I was so looking forward to just getting home and sitting down as soon as I could. No matter how hard he tries he just never ever seems to understand the effects of this condition. I am lucky because my RA is quite well controlled and I don't suffer too badly, but that doesn't mean to say I am pain free, and the fatigue is the worst and I think he just thinks I'm a lazy bones!

Anyway I feel much better having got that off my chest. But I think I'd like to keep RA on 'pause' for just a little bit longer. Anyone else ever feel this way? :-)

Comments

• Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yep, I do feel this way from time to time! Religiously go for blood test every 4 weeks yet, often when I go to pick up my prescription from the surgery, there's a note reminding me to go for bloods! What also annoys me is that the gp surgery keep prescribing my sulphasalazine for 1 a day - I take 4 a day, as per my consultant. The surgery used to prescribe 4, so I don't know why they've changed it; I've told them repeatedly, in person, by email and even given them a copy of the notes from my rheumy nurse -still, they keep getting it wrong! And, as for other people thinking they understand and/or know what's best - don't get me started! People always say 'you look well' or 'I keep getting aches, so think I must have what you've got' - no they haven't, or they would be doing something about it! Anyway, that's my rant over too! Let's all have a nice day!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I always check my blood forms: if the section at the bottom right entitled 'Please send copy to' is blank I fill in GP. So far, so good, apart from the fact the GP will occasionally summon me because he doesn't like the look of a result (whereas the hospital is happy). :roll:

We all have moments like this and as for the boyfriend has he read 'The Spoon Theory' or 'There's a Gorilla in my House'? Both provide factual explanations of how we are affected by any long-term chronic illness but if he has (but not for some while) ask him to read them again. He has a major fault in that he's healthy so won't remember stuff about your health that you would about his. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Scarlet
    Gosh I do feel for you,I have found the communication between hospitals and GPs to be so slow, and like you say when you are in so much pain it horrible...and having to stand for 6 hours is there no way they can supply a seat for some of the time..do they know about your RA..I hope it all gets sorted very soon for you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think it useful to remember that we are not the only patients that the hospitals and GPs are dealing with. I know that doesn't help but it's a fact. Of course we know we're 'speshul' people but so are all the other patients they see ('cept they're not because they're not us :wink: ).

I hope you are feeling better about things today, Scarlet. DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I've phoned my hospitals consultant now and again to fax or email reports or tests results to my G.P when they haven't recieved it. I know it really should be our G.P's but for some reason it's quicker if us patients do it!! I know it's annoying when we have to repeat things like blood tests when you have already had them done at the Dr's or hospital but it's all part and parcel of having Arthritis unfortunately. You are entitled to have your rant, we all feel like screaming someday,s you can properly hear some of us in the distance!!
  • Scarlet
    Scarlet Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hello again, and thank you all for your replies. Yes these things do happen and you're absolutely right bubbadog, it is part and parcel of having this condition! Normally I am fine - I am quite used to having prescriptions messed up, or waiting months for appointments etc etc, and I consider myself to be a very patient understanding person (I am the one who tuts at people 'kicking off' in the waiting room :-D ) But yesterday it just all got on top of me. I think it was the attitude of the receptionist - when I explained that I'd already had my bloods done she retorted "well methotrexate is a drug that requires very careful monitoring!!" Ummmmm....yes I am aware of this!! (Not that I said this to her, I was super polite)

I am feeling better thank you DD, I just really needed that rant! And it was reassuring to hear that other people have similar problems. I told my boyfriend what had happened and that I had come on here for a rant and he said "oh I'm glad you ranted to them so I didn't have to hear it" cheeky beggar!! Is there a forum where I can go and rant about my useless boyfriend I wonder..? :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh no, regarding your last point I hope not. He is not useless , I reckon that men like to fix things (even if they are not that interested in DIY) but the likes of us cannot be fixed. He's not a cheeky beggar, just a helpless one. There is a difference. DD

PS I am pleased that you are feeling better about things, it's part of the ride on the rollercoaster of Living with Arthritis.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Your so right DD, my OH is a carpenter by trade but a very big D.I.Y enthusiast at home doing all the plumbing and electric's as well as cupboards and anything that needs fixing he's on it and knowing he can't do anything to fix me must really get him upset. He's always looking at things to make life easy for me that he can make, he even made and put in a downstairs toilet for me from scratch!