Memory foam

lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 2. Aug 2014, 05:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys,

I am struggling sleeping and being comfortable in bed at the moment - I sleep on my sides and it is extremely painful - I am considering purchasing a memory foam topper - are they any good and what would you go for?

Thank you in advance xx :)

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We bought a memory foam topper a few yrs ago, it helped so much that we bought a very expensive memory foam mattress. It is brilliant for me. I still only sleep on my side but I use two 5ft feather bolsters to 'drape' myself over so they are between the knees. It is soooo much better.

If you buy one go for a decent one, it is no good getting the cheaper ones.. I love this bed/mattress. And miss it when we go away.. I do take my bolsters with me when we stay anywhere lol.

best of luck :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lynnemarie1123
    Money is an issue tho :-( there is one on offer in Argos supposed to be £80 2.5 cm thick - do you think it would be ok ? X
  • tjt6768
    I wouldn't really like to say. However that's not the cheapest of them so I would hope it would be alright. I'm sorry but I can't remember what we paid for ours. I reckon that's not a bad thickness though. Can you Google the actual product? That way you might find some reviews on it. We usually research things before buying. You can usually find a review or two online.
    Best of luck :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I've got a topper a bit thicker than that and I have a thin duvet on too of that to give a bit of extra padding too. If love a mattress but for now that works. I also have cushions under knees and the like. It must look a right sight! Still it's so comfy and I don't sleep well without it.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I have a mattress topper and it was a great buy. I looked at reviews first and then got mine reduced in a sale from an online catalogue store v**y. It's quite thick and has made a huge difference to my comfort in bed. I've also got one of those long maternity pillows which is useful as well. As I was warned they could get hot I have a "ventilated" one with a cotton cover which is supposed to be cooler. Do read descriptions carefully though, not just for the thickness but because some of the cheaper ones are a bit small and don't come in a cotton cover.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • lynnemarie1123
    Thanks guys x Ive bought it ! Hung it over the washing live to fluff slightly and to blow off any smells ( I'd read somewhere they can smell a bit chemically) this one doesn't seem to tho ! It does seem thinner than advertised 2.5cm and does have a cotton cover and straps to fit over mattress.
    We already have a normal topper so have that on underneath the memory foam one .

Fingers crossed for a pain free nights sleep! Can't keep taking amitriptline - I feel so groggy the day after!

Xxx
  • tjt6768
    Hope you've had a wonderful night's sleep. .
    Regarding the amitriptyline. Could you not take them a little bit earlier in the evening.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Slosh
    While mine helps I still take my Duloxetine, similar drug to amytriptiline. It's not that good!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • lynnemarie1123
    Thanks guys x yes i slept well until early hours when my s/r anti inflammatory ran out and pain killers wore off.
    I didn't take amitriptline last night ! Feel much more focused today :-) xxx

Wish I'd have done the mattress thing years ago xxx
  • tjt6768
    Glad that I was able to offer some advice, as little as it was..

here's to plenty of comfortable nights :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lynnemarie1123
    Alas! It was only meant to be for one night only ;-(

Back to my mate ami tonight then!!!

I wonder if exercise is to blame ? I've been desperately exercising to try build up muscle around the joints and attempting to loose some poundage ! Been working out everyday apart from the day before I bought the memory foam ! Wonder if I'm doing too much ?? X
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well, that's a theory that's easily tested out :D

Do check your mattress though. A new memory foam topper on an old, unsupporting mattress won't do much at all.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnemarie1123
    Yes newish mattress - firm also :-( x night before was lovely x I'm not going to exercise today n c if it makes any difference tonight !
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Hi,
    I am sorry for your health. I know there is no glory being sleep deprived :cry:
    however, is it really related to "Too much exercise" really depends on your workout schedule like number of days in a week and hours per day as well as the timing of the workout, if it related to sleep loss. Are you doing the workouts late afternoon/evening?

During sleep the body has time to rest and repair itself. An over-trained body, however, is sometimes unable to slow down and completely relax, making it difficult to recover between workouts.
    Make sure you are getting sufficient vitamins, iron, and calcium (the last is essential for proper muscle function, and too many people skimp there when they are dieting). A deficiency in iron or calcium, or one of the B vitamins, could cause you to feel sick and shaky. :oops:

Elevated heart rate, mood changes, lack of appetite can be good indicators showing that you are over-training. Try eating a recovery snack of carbs and protein after your workouts. Whole wheat toast and a tbsp of pb is a great post-workout snack. Stay away from caffeine.
    Hope it helps.

Amanda
  • lynnemarie1123
    Hi Amanda , I work out in the mornings and have done nearly every day for the past 2 weeks ( school holidays! Have gained weight due to cake in the staff room!!) I do cardio and toning for approx 4o mins daily.

I purposely didn't work out yesterday to test the theory and I slept like a baby last night!! So probably am over doing it!

I have also gained weight these past two weeks!! What's that about!!!!!

I neither eat the right amount of carbs or protein! And I have low iron levels.

We are going on holiday today for a week so hopefully will do lots of swimming, bike riding and walking then xx

Thank you for your reply xx
  • Slosh
    Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat. Have a good holiday but don't overdo things
    Julian of Norwich