Knee Brace Advice Please

Options
SETappin
SETappin Member Posts: 7
Hi All,

I’m seeking advice and experience of using a knee brace.

I need to strengthen my quadriceps and lose weight.

I cannot do leg raises and squats are out of the question.

My dilemma is I have conflicting advice on wearing knee braces.

I have seen two Consultants and Musculoskeletal Physicians and they oppose each other – one group say knee braces do nothing and interfere with the muscles whereas the other group state that knee braces support the knee, give confidence, reduce pain, allow exercises and do not interfere with muscle development.

I have been told I need a new knee and the quicker I lose weight and strengthen my thighs the better for my knee replacement.

I know we all have different conditions with arthritis and injuries (I have both) but I would appreciate any feedback if you used knee braces and in your case did it help or hinder you.

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,493
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Steve,

Thanks for your post to Helplines. I am sorry to hear that you have had conflicting advice on wearing knee braces.

Here at the Helplines we aren’t medically trained so I am unable to offer specific medical advice on what might be best.

Having said that, you might like to look at the following link from Arthritis Research UK:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/news/press-releases/2013/april/knee-bracing-can-significantly-reduce-pain-of-kneecap-oa.aspx

I wonder if you are currently having any physio on your knee in preparation for your surgery? There are many different types of brace and a physio would be in the best position to advise which one, if any, would be best for you. Alternatively, do you feel able to approach your GP to ask their opinion?

If you’d like to chat things through further with us, please feel free to call our Freephone number 0808 800 4050 (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm)

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,
    Emma-Jane
  • SETappin
    SETappin Member Posts: 7
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks Emma-Jane - GP's physios and consultants all have conflicting points of view.

This is why I asked people on the forum if they used braces and did it help or hinder as only their experience may help me now :D