MRI

Kathyk
Kathyk Member Posts: 6
Hello, I am newly diagnosed and have lots of questions..typically all remembered as soon as I left the consultant's office!
Just a quick one now, though: I have been told I will have to have a complete body scan, and whilst my consultant knows that I have a previous injury to my leg I was wondering if he was not aware that I have a metal plate in my ankle. I thought that this would mean that a such a scN would not be possible. Any ideas? Would be very grateful if someone out there knows! :)

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Kathyk,

Thank you for your enquiry to Arthritis Care. I can appreciate you'd like to be quite sure that an MRI would be ok in your case. We here on the Helplines can't give you a categoric answer - for that you might want to leave your consultant a brief message via their secretary or email them (and mention it to your GP too).

Here's a link to NHS Choices on the subject of MRIs. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/MRI-scan/Pages/Who-can-use-it.aspx

If you'd like a chat about your arthritis, some further information about self managing arthritis, or would like some support, do come back to us on here, or please do ring us on our free phone.

Kind regards

Guy
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Kathy
    I'm not on the helpline....just a member.
    One of the most important things is make a list before you go :lol:
    We all do that because as soon as we walk in we forget all that we want to ask and its not until we come out we think...Why didn't I ask this or that :roll:
    Sorry to butt in to the helpline forum

Love
    Hileena
  • Kathyk
    Kathyk Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your replies with sound advice! I thought about writing a list before the appointment, but I was sure I was going to be told I was fussing about nothing, which unfortunately had been the message from my Gp. Will definitely follow both your kind suggestions. Best wishes, Kathy. :D
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Not sure how helpful this is. I have metal in my neck from a fusion operation earlier this year. I saw my consultant today, who did my op and he has referred me for another MRI on my spine. So I presume there is some way in which it can be done safely
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I have had a metal plate pins and screws in my ankle for 5 years now and it hasn't stopped them doing MRI's

Love
    Hileena