Hi new here

Options
plj
plj Member Posts: 3
edited 18. Aug 2014, 11:28 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I am 30 on Tuesday and I have had pain and stiffness in my hands/index fingers and knuckles for a while prob since Christmas ish but I didn't see a GP until about about May I was given Naproxen 2x 500mg a day and its not touching it at all, I've brought anti arthritis gloves and again no relief, anyway the doctor thinks its Rhumatoid Arthritis until I mentioned about my Psoriasis and could it be linked to that she said yes so not sure what type it is yet. Have. Rhumatologist appointment at the hospital in October. Doctor did blood tests showing low Urea levels but no need for concern I don't even know what that means and they did xrays back in May ish which showed no sign of wear and tear. I have a GP appointment tomorrow because the pain is getting too much and I had to leave work early today because of it. Its getting me down and I'm always hiding how bad it is coa people dont understand I've found as they can't see it they soon forget how bad it is. I have been really struggling the last 2 weeks with pain, stiffness and swollen fingers etc, work have been ok saying dont lift too much etc but I work for a big building supplies company on shop floor involving a lot of lifting, they've tried to keep me happy but they keep giving me heavy things like flooring and tiles and I keep doing it just not to cause a hassle or them saying I can't do ny job etc they have offered me to go on tills but that hurts as much as lifting after a while cos I use the hand that's worse to give change etc. I don't know what I can do without hurting myself more and aggrivating it, the pain is daily and some days worse than others but really bad days like today I even struggle to grip, undo jars etc. I find myself crying a lot not just pain but frustration cos I'm struggling to do stuff. Im worried it is Rhumatoid cos of tge risk of other complications. I am struggling now but I'm scared it will get worse its bad but I can cope as it is but if it worsens I dont know what I will do.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. There are not just two kinds of arthritis, osteo (often attributed to wear and tear) and rheumatoid (caused by an over-active immune system), there is osteo and around 200 kinds of auto-immune, so diagnosing a kind of the latter can take some time. In my case it was years, for many I had the general label of an auto-immune inflammatory arthritis but when my skin helpfully obliged with a bout of pustular psoriasis on my palms and soles the medical penny dropped and I was officially labelled with psoriatic arthritis (PsA). The meds, however, did not alter.

It is good that you are going to see a rheumatologist, this may be a good time to start keeping a diary of pain levels, tiredness levels, measure your fingers if they are inflamed and again when they're not so they get an idea about how your condition fluctuates, what helps matters and what aggravates. Arthritis of any kind is a very unwelcome lodger who refuses to move out so we have to learn to live with it. That is far from easy.

Not many people look in on this board, they tend to spend more time on the Living with Arthritis board on here, I recommend you have a read through because you will gain more information and, if you post again, more replies. I wish you well and I am pleased that you are on the right route for getting help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too. I have RA and mine started in my hands (That's very usual) so I can empathise. Yours might well be PsA but, as DD says, the treatment is the same. Please try not to worry about 'other complications'. They can happen but I think, for the vast majority of patients, they don't.

It's good that your x-rays were clear but October must seem a long way away. It might be worth asking your GP if he / she could push for an earlier appointment. I have no idea what low urea levels mean.

The work situation must be really difficult. Do you have an Occupational Health person there who might be able to help? It sounds as if work are trying to help without really having a clue how things are for you. Maybe our own Helpline people could make some suggestions as to who you could talk to.

I hope the GP can help. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • plj
    plj Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I'm really confused now doctor today was different to the original one and he said he'd looked at the xrays done earlier in the year and asked me questions and had a good feel etc said he is sure its not arthritis he said sounded more like carpal tunnell syndrome or gout but didn't think it was either really cos of the amount of pain and how often and where it is. He said the low urea levels mean not a lot of protein in my blood said could be from not eating a lot of meat I said I don't eat meat he said thats why and no cause for concern intact its good. He said blood tests again Friday to see if anything is showing up and given me Amitriptyline 10mg to take once a day 2 hours before sleep. And told me to by wrist splints. I'm confused cos first doctor said deffo looks like arthritis sending me to Rhumarologist to confirm and this one says deffo doesn't look Luke it. Arrghhh.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Anyone can get carpal tunnel syndrome. As for gout – well, that's a type of arthritis. Hopefully, the rheumatologist will be able to sort it all out.

I don't take amitriptyline myself but many on here do. I think it's possible to sleep so soundly on it that some struggle to wake up in the morning and subsequently take it earlier than suggested. I hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright