Afternoon Tea

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 27. Aug 2014, 16:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
Treat today. Going out with a close friend for Afternoon tea. New place today to add to the collection, The St Pancras Hotel, that wonderful looking Victorian Gothic building at King's Cross Station. Really looking forward to it and also pleased that the first time I attempt the tube on crutches I'm with someone.
For any of you who haven't yet tried it yet afternoon tea is wonderful, very relaxing and very indulgent. Plus it's amazing how a few dainty sandwiches, and a couple of dainty scones and cakes can fill you up!
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ooh, that is on my 'to do' list, Slosh. Afternoon tea at Betty's in York is lovely, too. Have a great time.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I never quite 'got' the concept of afternoon tea or how it fit in with normal meals. However, if it's your thing, Slosh, then enjoy it to the full. And most things are more enjoyable in the company of friends :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • FelicityD
    FelicityD Bots Posts: 39
    I do love Afternoon Tea. Yes, it is a bit pointless, but love the whole ritual of it. A fun way to spend an afternoon with the ladies. Will keep this place in mind the next time I'm down in London. Have a great time. Now, I really do fancy a mini scone with jam and cream, Yum!
  • Slosh
    Not the best sandwiches and not loose tea but stunning surroundings and very relaxed. Mind you I hadn't realised how scary escalators are when you are on crutches and think it will be a while before I feel confident enough to do them solo! I can report though that the disabled loo at the St Pancras hotel, although concealed is very nice. Feel absolutely shattered now though.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Afternoon tea. . A bit posh for me lol
    I look like a tattooed hooligan and wouldn't fit in.
    I'll stay home with a cup of tetley tea :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    They do afternoon tea in our local theatre resturant proper cups,saucers and lovely cake stands,sandwiches with the crusts cut off and little fancy cakes and a pianist player in the back ground. Mig
  • Slosh
    One of my favourites is the Palm Court at the Park Lane Hotel, genuine Art Deco interior with beautifully painted wall panels and a harpist.

Though the ultimate one for luxury is Claridges, to the extent that when you use the ladies there is an assistant who turns on the taps at the washbasin for you and hands you a fresh towel to dry your hands with.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    loose tea and proper cups and saucers hee those were the days...there will always be a place for it... :D the trouble is the price they now charge..glad you had a good time..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    You're all way too posh for me. . Gimme a nice mug of tetley tea and some jammy dodgers and I'm set. . Lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    don't worry Tony we are tea and jammy dodgers...only its PG ie pigs guts has you use to call them :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Jammy dodgers, now you're talking. English Breakfast tea or Waitrose Gold please.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Any kind of tea as long as it's neither weak nor very strong and definitely not much milk.

Biscuits? I'm still trying to improve my bone health. It's tea and prunes for me these days :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Slosh, I first read "St. Pancreas Hotel" :lol::lol: Then, I read further as you described the sweet treats and thought this name was appropriate :lol::lol:

Funny what the mind translates sometimes....or maybe it's just me :shock:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I've not been to the hotel but I've heard it's lovely. Afternoon tea is my absolute fave and I'm on a mission to find the best one in or around London. I'm going to a little bakery in Covent Garden on Sunday week, so I shall report back. :wink:

I'm glad you managed on the tube. I find that people are often quite kind and helpful when you're travelling but you have to be lucky. Crutches and escalators are a skill but I have limited coordination and have finally managed it after a year, so have hope.
  • Slosh
    Thanks Starburst. I made my friend stand in front going down and behind going up so if I fell she coukd catch me.
    Trouble was even at Kings Cross which had step free access it was so far to walk/hobble it was easier to brave the escalators.

At least at Covent Garden there are lifts but be careful on the cobbles.

Hope you enjoy it, I think there is something very relaxing about afternoon tea.
    Julian of Norwich