Re:Still in shock!

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 28. Aug 2014, 16:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
My God Ive seen it all now, I was calle back to "discuss" my pain issues with a blue badge assessor but when I got there it was another assessment, firstly she didn't want to talk about the pain issues and kept bating it away then she wanted to do the walking assessment again which I said I wasn't happy with as my right knee was kicking off and I didn't want to make it flare so we went outside and walked to my car and then I said thats enough so I lent up against my car to rest a bit she then said I'd not done the mandatory 87.5 yards which I thought odd, anyway we have a few more choice words and that was that, anyway yesterday I got a letter from them and I'd failed again but get this, she's actually lied in the letter, she says I walked the mandatory fail distance and I didn't need a rest while I was walking which isn't true either, I knew I should have covertly tapped the farce but to actually lie is shocking, they also don't want to know about pain yet pain is my biggest problem thats why I was meant to be there, I'm not sure what to do but to lie is criminal, I'd go to court and swear under oath what went on but if she's willing to do that to me then she probably lies all the time, what a way to carry on I'm still in shock over it.

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That's a disgrace rkid. It's a shame you didn't have someone with you.
    It's horrible what these people put us through let alone the lies they spout. I will find her and give her a right talking to matey lol. .
    seriously though, I would keep applying and definitely complain about her to the upper tier.

Don't lose faith matey. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Pain isn't an issue for these people because it cannot be seen, our mobility is because it can. I cannot remember :oops: if you use a stick or not but it may be an idea to take one along on the next go as a 'visual aid', it shows that things are on the squonk. This is worth a complaint, Mell, because the appointment was not as you thought it would be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I don't know what to say. I'm horrified. Agree you need to take it further and make an official complaint.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    That's disgusting and disgraceful. I'm at a loss as to what to suggest other than get a complaint in and riddle it with questions such as why is she allowed to state you had walked the distance when you had not? Make it so they have to give you answers as to their due process and why it was not fufilled.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your assessment, Mell. If you still have the letter and it clearly states they wanted to discuss your pain issues then I think you could complain and ask to be re-assessed. The trouble with pain is that it's very easily faked so, if they handed out Blue Badges to everyone who said they were in pain, or limped, half the population would have them.

Given that, I think it would have been better for you to bite the bullet and walk as far as she asked. Yes, there would have been payback but sometimes it's necessary. 'Choice words' are also a no-no in such circumstances no matter how bad you feel and how antagonistic the assessor. They're the ones who hold all the cards.

If you haven't already consulted CAB or DIAL they might be able to help. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    That's disgusting Mel complain put in a protest . Mig
  • mellman01
    Cheers for the support everyone, I'm so depressed by them that part of me says forget it and try again later but next time FILM it while the other side of me is very very angry indeed, I've been honest right through with them and Ive told them pain is the biggest problem I have because to much walking can start a neuropathic pain attack and if I get one I'm house bound for some time but they just aren't interested in the pain at all.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That's the point Mell, they are not interested in the pain. How can anyone assess that? They must be very used to people trying to pull the wool over their eyes (not that you are). Maybe a supporting letter from your GP or hospital consultant could be a better way to go: they need hard evidence to better judge your claim. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    I agree. Take some hard evidence next time. They're unlikely to reject back up from your neurologist.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Mel sorry to hear this, I would go to CAB I am sure they would be able to help, don't give up hound them till they see sense. I know what it is like living with neuropathic pain and it 'aint fun, good luck and keep fighting...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mellman01
    Cheers for the replies its much appreciated, now firstly can I ask how many of you lot have a badge and has anyone got neuropathic pain problems?, but that said I have read the equalities act 2010 and thats what they use for guidance and I quoted the regs back at her regarding pain but she wasn't interested at all she like the last woman was obsessed with walking distances, this is like banging my head on a wall but I will now see what else I can do, does anyone know who is the overseer/ ombudsman for adult social cares teams in the UK as I need to write to them next I think.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I googled discretionary blue badge assessment this mrning as I have mine tomorrow. It clearly states that pain has to be considered and it states this is not only pain caused while walkng but also as a result of walking. It says additional information relevant to this is details of medication, medical reports, self management etc.
    Don't know if this is of any help.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Its a bit like solicitors Mellman, they all want to stick together. I am disgusted for you and I think you should tell them what really happened, that you needed to rest and couldn't manage the mandatory distance. Challenge the decision.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Mell this is awful, don't you dare give up, make sure you are more prepared ie take someone with you next time..they are not interested in you or your pain .
    I know you didnt tape it but its your word against there's..so go for it.
    They really are trying to cut down on the blue badges, it is based on walking and how well you can use your hands here, ie use the parking meter.. :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    Cheers again for all your replies I'm very grateful, yes I know the equalities act fairly well and under assessment notes for pain it states pain during or after that causes you mobility problems has to be considered but they only mention pain in passing although I've given them written details of the level of severity of OA I have and the effects of it and I've also given them an in depth written explanation of the neuropathic pain and how the OA pain can cause significant flats which make me house bound for days even weeks but they keep ignoring its like your banging your head on a wall, something isn't right here and I am now wondering if its down to my GP, Ive asked the surgery today for a copy of a letter he gave to them confirming my ailments but I know from others he's ex army and thinks pain is something you can think away so I wonder if he's been less than helpful, either way if he has shafted me then I'm going to change surgeries as its due to their lack of interest in my neck and knees that I ended up like this, it beggars belief, I complained of neck pain for 10 years before I got any form of pain medication and then it was only coproxamol it took a further 15 years to get a neck x ray and when they gave me one it showed I had OA in the neck, they then refused to listen to me when I had knee problems it took 3 long years to get anyone to listen and by the time I had an MRI the damage was done and they then refused to accept I had a neuropathic pain problem and it was only because I had private medical insurance that I managed to get to see a neologist and that was 3 years after the knee OP that kicked it all off, sorry for ranting but I feel so angry and isolated right now, anyway can anyone tell me (including the MOD's) if there's a body that overseas the blue badge teams in the UK, some kind of impartial professional body or some kind of ombudsman I can write to to file a formal complaint as I don't treat the local council at all anymore as their all thieves and cut throats, its crazy though I've been totally honest all the way through but I still keep getting treated as if I'm lying when the facts bear me out, its as if I've been black balled by some unseen all seeing entity its weird really bizarre that one person can be kicked around for simply being ill like i have.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    I would go to the councillor who is in charge of health and social welfare. Otherwise, try the local government ombudsman http://www.lgo.org.uk. Sometimes a letter from your MP will help.
  • mellman01
    Thanks very much salamander much appreciated.

Mell
  • stickywicket
    Mell, you are being very sensible. It's a good idea to send in notes about how we are affected though those of a consultant or GP will count for more than our own. I also think it was a good plan to task for a copy of the GP's notes. That will tell you whether or not to consider changing practices. And, do remember, you are not alone with all this. We're here too.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    Cheers SW, yes Ive e mailed the surgery but so far no reply, I suspect my GP isn't helpful, that said they have let me down time and again and each time I've said I had a problem it turned out I did but its odd they still don't accept pain can cripple a person its bizarre, you have OA and the pain will get so bad you'll be begging for an OP but then if you complain about pain they treat you as if your making it up, talk about oxymoron it does ya head in, Ive also tried twice to discuss pain with the blue badge lot but they simply go back to the mandatory distance and the fact I've not got breathless although I've read the .gov guidance (equalities act 2010) back at them and it states pain during or after walking is a factor if its been caused by walking but its like talking to a brick wall, I actually said to her there's a serious disconnect between them and the rules but all I got back was were only interested in distance walked and breathlessness its like a stuck record. But that said we've seen time and again how those working in government and the civil and social services can do things you and I'd would get sacked for on the spot and yet no one can touch them or take them to task over it its not on, I know I will never get a badge now but I feel strongly if I don't try and change things for others then I'm as culpable as they are and I can't live with knowing that so I will try my damnedest to get the rules enforced correctly.
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Don't give up Mel ...the truth stands anywhere! Good Luck again.
    Ruby