• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    the rent book, it changed my life I had to grow up
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • FelicityD
    FelicityD Bots Posts: 39
    A tough question for me. So many books come to mind that helped define periods of my life. But the book that came to mind first after reading the question was Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Read it at school for O'levels but it really has stuck with me. Even though I haven't read it in years I still remember the story. I even have a copy of the book on my shelf. Might have to get it of the shelf this weekend:)
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    While at school I read a book called 'Boy on the Rooftop,' set in Hungary at the time of the uprising. Although short, the book gave a huge insight into the courage & determination shown by the boy & his friends. It was written by Tomas Zsabo - not his real name due to his family not being free in what was then communist Hungary.
    I never forgot the book, but it's out of print now. My older son tracked a copy down for me about four years ago, so I was able to read it again.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think you've hit on something there, Theresa. These books we've put forward all seem to 'give us insights into other worlds' and these insights stick with us as something precious. I know films can do the same thing but I think, like radio, as opposed to TV, books require an input from us. We are not passive viewers. We have to imagine. That's so valuable.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    You are absolutely right, Sticky - books open so many worlds to us, and to read is such pleasure.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I've thought a lot about this, and I decided that there are two:

Bruce Chatwin's Songlines, and John Duncan The River Why. Mainly because they opened my mind with the author's creativity in writing. This in turn, led me to view the world slightly differently.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    The family from One End street Wrtten by Eve Garnett The Lorna Hill ballet stories ,escapism from the grown up world for me :):)
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    :oops: :oops: It's David J. Duncan, not John. My head is fogged in....
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    marrianne wrote:
    The family from One End street Wrtten by Eve Garnett The Lorna Hill ballet stories ,escapism from the grown up world for me :):)

I had all 3 'children from one end street' books but over the years they have got lost so I bought them again last year for my Daughter, well all but the Dew drop Inn which wasn't available at the time but I've just see it now is. I could read them over and over again.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Sorry I mean 'family from end street'. Actually I only bought the one book and having looked back on A*A*O* again today I remember why. The prices are in the thousands!

Better go and look in the attic and see if I still have my old copies but I'm sure they got ruined while stored in my Brother's garage.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Elizabeth ,Yes I only have the first one the pink book the drawings are great I Loved Lilly Rose doing the ironing ,the Holiday at the dew drop inn was brillant Kate Ruggles went on holiday to the countryside ,sadly dont have it but I can remember it well ,isnt funny how these lovely gentle stories stay with us still have Milly Molly Mandy in my book case and Just William :)Marrianne xx
  • tkachev
    I loved the drawings too. I remember wishing I had wallpaper like Kates. Years later I remember Laura Ashley bought out a similar wallpaper and named it Kate! I wonder if she got her idea from The book.

You have reminded me about Milly Molly Mandy. I bought a hardback copy for my Daughter a few Christmas's ago and read it to her.

I'm about to start reading Elidor to her :)

Five children and it is another favourite.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein