blood letting

marrianne
marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
edited 2. Sep 2014, 13:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
:( Hi every one ,Has any one experienced a jabbing sore kind of pain after blood has beeI uessn taken ,I have had loads of blood test over the years and this is the first time I have had a problem ,It did hurt as she took the sample and it felt as thought the vein wasnt up enough ,the following day the pain came radiating down from where the needle went in ,and 3 weeks on it still feels sore and throbs a bit its not agony its just makeing me feel scared due to have a blood test on Monday and I really dont want her to take it but I definately dont want to make a fuss I have always found her a bit less competent than the others bit lately she is always on takeing blood on jher own , I tried gaperpentine as that is good for nerve pain and one day a naproxen high strengh but its just the same :(:( Marrianne

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    No, I haven't had this but to be on the safe side I would go and see the GP because it might be due to an infection or perhaps she's twanged a nerve. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I haven't either, marrianne, and that's in many, many years of regular bloods. I could be she hit a nerve or a muscle or tendon or something but I'd get it checked out.

If you must have her on Monday politely ask her to use your other arm as that one is still sore from last time. It will be hard, but the trick with blood tests is to relax totally then they don't hurt.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    You can sometime get an abscess at the sire but its quite rare so I would keep an eye on it..Marrianne did you get that new washer :? xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • marrianne
    Thanks DD yes I will get it checked out and let you know x Sticky yes I will definately be a little assertive on Monday ,Barbara yes it could be a little damage I have to be totally honest I definately dont relax and I was really rigid with screwed up eyes on that ocassion so going to give her the benefit of the doubt hope you are all ok today Oh ended up with a reconditioned washing machine Barbara it is just on its third load today thanks to all Marrianne :):) x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't think that any of us enjoy the procedure as such but I have learned over the years that the best thing to do for them (and us) is to make the best fist we can (whilst they tighten their tawdry elastic bands) and then relax the fist once they're in. And look elsewhere whilst they do what they have to do.

It's not fun. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marrianne
    Just to let you know week 4 .. blood taken today Well I took deep breaths relaxed rolled up my cardigan sleeve in the waiting area oh other arm Sticky ... guess what same nurse :( But :( it was fine she got a much better vein and just a small scratch really was just that ,the bad arm is much improved today so putting it down to a slight nick of the nerve ,fear has gone thanks to all Marrianne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh that's good news, marrianne :D And well done you! It's hard to force oneself to relax. If that arm is easier stick with it for a while. They prefer alternate ones to stop the veins collapsing from overwork but, after my mastectomy, I'd to have all mine in the opposite arm for years.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I actually switched labs because of this. The hospital lab would only draw from the left which became very painful for some reason, to the point where a draw would trigger a severe Raynaud's episode and I'd faint. I went to a different lab which could easily will draw from either arm. The techs have more skill too and it's rarely painful anymore :D .