Cellulitis

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 19. Sep 2014, 13:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone any tips for avoiding it please? Other than the patently obvious – don't get any cuts / grazes and use antibacterial stuff regularly. I do. I was probably the only person in the health centre using it after signing in on the computer screen this morning. (And the only one with cellulitis :roll: )

I know a risk factor is a compromised immune system. (Tick. Thanks meth and hydroxy) And previous. (Tick.) Four year ago it was due to an insect bite but, to the best of my knowledge, nothing and no-one has bitten me this time.

It 's back to those gobstopping antibios and I also have a pretty, wavy biro line round my leg with instructions to return to the doc tomorrow if the redness creeps over it. It hasn't. It's jumped it :o , leaving about half an inch of lily-white leg either side. It's heading for my ancient, officially diagnosed as 'knackered', TKR and I think I'd rather it didn't.

I shall, of course, return to the doc tomorrow if it hasn't jumped back again. But has anyone any further ideas on how to avoid it in future? Please?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi sticky , the penicillin should work wonders with your RA , dont know anyway stopping celluitis , had it a few times & last time needed a couple weeks antobiotics to get rid of it but my CRP went from 20 something to 2
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Sticky no real knowledge about this ,but it sounds very nasty ,guess we are all at some risks with our dodgy immune systems ,been watching q .....c shopping c..........l . anyway the todays special value is includeing propolis jell and propolis bath soak both good antibacterial but very gentle you probably know that propolis is what protects the bee hive from infection also including for very little money some good arnica products to GP will give you the important things but the above can only help to hope you get better soon and look after that knee Marrianne xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    SW my youngest son was in hospital last year with this and on intravenous ABs..he hasn't a clue why he got it apart from itching his leg in the night with his other foot..so he scratch the skin with his toenail..and that was that..he now has a antibacterial wash that he puts on his legs in the night.sorry I am telling you the obvious.. :oops: tea tree is a good antibacterial..hope you can get it treated right away..I remember the biro line well :shock:let us know how you get on..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh (substitute your preference for a rude word here) and repeat. :( I have not had cellulitis as yet but my friends John and Wendy have. For both it was very nasty but hopefully yours has been nipped in the bud.

I don't know what to suggest but, if things worsen in the next few hours please do not hesitate to trek to A&E (if you have a handy branch). It must not be allowed to reach your TKR, that's for sure. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Flaming flux Sticky. I don't have any advice to stop a repeat of cellulitis, I guess if you knew you had a wound you could douse it in tea tree or TCP depending on your choice of pungent scents. If you don't know you have a wound though I don't suppose there is much prevention and rather fast action if something occurs. I second DD though, if it creeps much further then get thee to an A&E and get the IV version started ASAP. I once had a noxious ex who was bitten by a very wise dog resulting in cellulitis, IV antibiotics worked very quickly for him. Good luck Sticky (((((())))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I have read, dear Sticky, that standing on your head for 20 minutes while drinking a glass of oregano oil and water will prevent this........ :D

All teasing aside, very sorry to hear you are suffering with this and the antibiotics work quickly. Keep us posted, thinking of you (((())))
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Sorry that you are suffering with your cellulitis. My son had it last year and ended up seriously ill with septacemia, in hospital with iv antibiotics for 10 days. It took several days to find the right antibiotics to have any affect on his infection. 3 days After he left hospital he had to be re-admitted to have surgery as the infection had solidified and had to be left to drain for several days. My son was 25, a fit, healthy, straight , non drugs user and the doctors couldn't understand why he was so ill. A few months later he started to feel ill again so his gp gave him antibiotics straight away and thankfully he was fine. From what I have read, once you've had cellulitis you are much more at risk of contracting it again. He started with flu like symptoms so if you start to feel fluey see your gp immediately. Hope you soon feel better. D
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Hi Sticky, I know a couple of people who have had it more than once. It sounds as if you are doing all the right things. It can be very nasty so don't hesitate to go back tomorrow if needs be.
  • Boomer13
    I had to post again since I'm feeling guilty about my flippant reply. Of course, I did mean that I'm sure you had done all you could to avoid getting it. The only thing to do differently next time would be not to get RA..... :wink:

Sticky, I hope you are on the mend soon. I had it pre-PsA from a cat bite. Not fun, and neither were the antibiotics. I'm still trying to decide which was worse, but at least we had/have a treatment. I narrowly avoided a hospital stay and I'm hoping you avoid this by a wide margin.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I just wanted to say I hope your red has stopped creeping and that you are well. Thinking of you and sending these ((((((())))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • gretta
    gretta Member Posts: 74
    Hi
    I was intrigued by this post. 5 weeks ago I spent 2 weeks in Hospital, 4 days of it in intensive care for a burst appendix. I came out of Hospital, District nurse attends daily to change dressings plus I now have oedema & cellulitis in both legs, which have to be bandaged each day, didn't have these problems before I went into Hospital. Have had 3 lots of anti-biotics, but problem still there. Now I get a feeling of something like pin pricks in my legs. Is this normal. I thought this might be a one off problem as I knew nothing about celulitis before but I see some of you have had it more than once. In addition to my problems of osteo-arthritis etc. Can't win can we.

Gretta
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hope it clears up soon. Mig
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Oh dear Sticky that is nasty, I am afraid I have never had cellulitis or never known anyone that has either, I am hoping that by today the antibios have kicked in successfully and you don't have to go back to the docs or A@E (((()))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Thank you all for your lovely messages. I'm not at all ill, just sore, itchy and a bit annoyed. And puzzled. My answer to most adverse things is how can I stop it happening again? It seems I probably can't :roll: I know I have dry skin so I put more effort than comes naturally to me in keeping it hydrated. (The doc said it looked good) Maybe I should become a real wuss and start taking small cuts and grazes seriously. I do wonder if it got in through the knuckle I managed to scald last Friday but surely not as it would then have had to cruise all the way down to my lower leg :?

Today it is up to the line and looking extremely annoyed with me, but the bit that had hopped over has faded overnight. The leg and foot are still fatter than their opposite number but I shall hold my nerve and give the antibios time to do their stuff. I have no intention of going into hospital. On the contrary, we're off up to Scotland on Friday for a long weekend. My grandson will be saddened to learn he won't be riding on my knee in the wheelchair (inevitable kicks result) but my pushers will not mind at all.

Anna – no offence taken at all. Laughter is the best medicine. I do like oregano but I was never much good at standing on my head even in the days when it was theoretically possible so forgive me if I pass on that 'cure' :lol:

Gretta – I'd guess that, cellulitis being a sneaky monster, it took advantage of your open wound. I'm sorry you're in the wars right now and hope things will look up for you soon.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Oh dear hun. .
    Sorry I don't have any advice for the future but please be very very careful with this. It nearly did my dad in once. Can be very nasty indeed.
    Once he'd had it he became very prone to it I'm afraid to say. The first time he got it was in Spain. Luckily I spoke enough espanol to get through to the doctors at the local hospital and they were very good with him.

I send huge YBH'S to you my dear. Take it easy and watch that outline like a hawk.
    Xxxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi Sticky, I hope the cellulitis hasn`t crept any further towards your TKR.
    my hubby`s had this twice, the first time through an almost invisible cut on the side of his toe. His whole foot ballooned and he had to go to A & E then take antibiotics. The second time we couldn`t think where it had come from. It`s a horrible thing to have, but I have no ideas on how to prevent it apart from what you`re already doing.

The nearest I came to it was in April this year while on holiday in the wilds of north-west Scotland, when a very kind - but not very good - GP mistook my rash for cellulitis, when it was in fact shingles. thankfully, the second opinion I got the next day from a different doctor was correct, and appropriate treatment started!
  • FelicityD
    FelicityD Bots Posts: 39
    A new one for me. Had to look it up. Seems serious SW. Hope it all clears up soon. I guess this may be an infection that I may become all to acquainted with in the future. It's funny how helping one set of problems creates the perfect conditions for other nasties to creep in.
  • stickywicket
    It isn't serious, Felicity - well, not yet :lol: The outer edges are improving but the core is still ugly and the whole lower leg is much fatter than its mate on the left though today it doesn't feel as tight.

Question is, dare I get in the bath? Please don't tell me to hang my leg over the side :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Question is, dare I get in the bath? Please don't tell me to hang my leg over the side :wink:

Can you hold it up the air?! :lol:

Seriously though, while I have no real advice, I wish you well and I'm sending speedy healing vibes.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, how's things today? I hope you were able to manage your bath and that the leg is improving. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Didn't really know what it was though I heard the term so I googled it sorry your Stickyness you can keep it.
    Couldn't Mr Sticky hold your leg up :shock: 8) :lol: Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hope its creeps back to were it came from SW ..did you get that bath..and salt in the water is good for keeping the infection at bay...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Just wanted to wish you well, Sticky (I've pinched Mr Megrose's laptop for a few minutes!). I had cellulitis in my arm a couple of years ago and got it after an injection at the doctor's. Strong antibiotics soon sorted it out, but take care of yourself. All I will say is, when it's gone, make sure that it's completely gone. I went back to the doctor after I had finished my tablets and she was pleased to confirm that it had cleared up. Thankfully, I haven't had it since, but I am now more aware of the possibility.

Meg
  • Boomer13
    Keeping the leg elevated is supposed to be helpful, Sticky, so I think Mig's suggestion is a good one,

:D
    mig wrote:
    Couldn't Mr Sticky hold your leg up

Hope it's better today...
  • stickywicket
    Starburst wrote:
    Can you hold it up the air?! :lol:

Only with the aid of a barrage balloon, Sophie :lol:
    mig wrote:
    Couldn't Mr Sticky hold your leg up :shock: 8) :lol: Mig

There was a time when he'd have jumped at the offer, mig. That time is long gone :wink:

Barbara - salt. You're quite right. I'd forgotten that.

Well, I risked the bath, cooler than usual to be on the safe side and it was lovely.

Thank you all for your kindness and support. It is slowly starting to fade though both leg and foot are still rather large. I shall not be around for a few days but that will be due to family not cellulitis - I hope :lol:
    Steven Wright