Blue badge assessment, wish me luck

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 29. Aug 2014, 11:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just had a phone call to say an OT will be coming this morning sometime between 11.30 and 12.30 to assess me for a discretionary blue badge. Of course having had a couple of quiet days my leg isn't as bad as it can be but having said that neither is it great. Not quite sure what it will involve but have made sure I have my file with all my medical and other records in to hand and a pair of shoes ready if we need to go out for a walk.
Fingers crossed as it would be so useful for work when I have to go to off site meetings.
Any tips? My pain relief will be wearing off by then.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's not about pain, Slosh, it's about ability to walk the distance. People with heart failure can get Blue Badges but, to look at them, they might appear to be perfectly OK. I knew one such lady.

Well done for having the documentation to hand. All I can suggest is that, if there are any pages you feel are particularly relevant, mark them in advance to save time and effort.

Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Make sure that Fred and Ginger are to hand. Good luck, as Sticky says those without mobility issues can be granted a BB so I hope you are successful with your assessment. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Good luck Slosh, I am fortunate I have never had to have an assessment as I get high rate mobility. the only thing I can suggest is when you are walking don't be afraid to stop and say that is enough, keep thinking what it is like on your worst days.....................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Thanks for all your comments. I had a phone call from tne assessor saying she had to postpone until tomorrow due to a family problem. As this is discretionary she's from my borough not ATOS and did sound quite human on the phone. Will let you all know how it goes and I'm going to make a list of key points I need to make.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Good luck for tomorrow. A list is a good idea, anything that helps you remember things - I always go blank at such moments.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Slosh
    Had my assessment and actually had someone human! She asked questions, and gave me advice on equipment I might find helpful, who to contact and how to request an OT assessment. She also asked about my medication and abut pain when walking as well as after.
    On the walking test outside she estimated that I managed 50 metres in total.
    I will hear within 10 working days from Friday as to whether I have been successful.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    It's nice to hear that there are some kind people out there and I hope you are successful with your application! DD
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I`m pleased you got someone human - there are still some of them out there - and I hope you get your Blue Badge.
  • Slosh
    Thank you both. Feel a bit guilty as I know others have had less sympathetic assessors. Still her being human is no guarantee of success and if it does get turned down as my MP is a certain Ian Duncan Smith, and I want to make it clear I DID NOT vote for him, it wouldn't be worth asking for his support!

Had a good GP appointment, he has upped my dose of duloxetine and given me two more weeks of Oxycodone while it kicks in. His final words to me were to "come and see me as and when you need to".

He did offer to sign me off again but laughed when he got an indignant no, saying he had refused to take time of when he broke his foot. Very happy to have a note that reads phased return over 6 weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to forget about my problems when my work days are full of others problems.

I know how lucky I am to have a good GP when I need one.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    I hope the sympatheitic assessor comes up with the goods :)

Yes, a good relationship with the doc makes a huge difference to arthritic life. Long may it last, Slosh.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Thank you Sticky
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Good luck Slosh x
    Love
    Barbara
  • premierscfc04
    premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
    Good Luck Slosh :wink:
  • FelicityD
    FelicityD Bots Posts: 39
    Good luck Slosh!!
  • Slosh
    Thank you.
    Went into school today for health review meeting with Head and to start getting my head round things. He said that regardless of whether I get the badge or not I can have use of one of the disabled parking spaces in the school car park. As they usually get used I will ask him tomorrow to announce it on Monday and email it to all staff. Hopefully people will get the message fairly soon.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    That's good news, Slosh, but, if there are not enough disabled parking places, maybe more could be allotted. If it's simply that they are routinely used by non-disabled staff, is there any point in having them? (Apart from yours :wink: ) I believe an unenforced rule is a poor rule.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    The trouble is there are more cars than spaces and the streets around the school are now permit parking only. Until now there hasn't been a member of staff who needed one so there hasn't been a problem.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    I think public buildings are legally obliged to provide at least one dedicated disabled spot; one of my Mums had a son with cerebral palsy (and they had a BB) but nine times out of ten she couldn't use it in the designated space thanks to someone else using it so the little lad would sometimes have to walk a fair distance. He and me made a right pair! :lol: He always had the snazzier sticks and fabulous splints.

I hope your application is approved but now you have the comfort of knowing you can use a space without it, which kinda makes a nonsense of the whole system. Mind you, so many people ignore the rules and regulations anyway we might as well scrap the whole thing! :lol: I reckon that you will be successful and that will help you in other areas of life such as supermarkets, cinemas, and parking legally where others cannot but check the rule book: I cannot park for longer than thirty minutes in a thirty-minute bay, and loading bays and on kerbs with loading lines are an absolute no-no. DD
  • Slosh
    Just had a phone call to say that I have been successful and have been given a blue badge. I know when I saw the assessor she told me check different areas as the regulations vary with different local authorities. Pleased as it will make a difference but lets be honest I'd rather not need it!

I emailed all the staff today to let them know, hopefully some will see it,and the Headteacher is going to mention it on Monday and then put it in the bulletin. At least in school if someone keeps doing it I will be able to find out who it is as a record is kept of cars.

There's also a designated disabled parking bay opposite my house so once I get my badge I will start using it, luckily I live in the kind of road where it is usually left empty.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bluebunner
    bluebunner Member Posts: 43
    Well done on the BB award, I know it can be stressful and hard work.

As for parking you are not alone having problems finding BB spaces empty, and with them used by non BB holders.

I am aware of Scotland making laws against use of BB bays by non BB holders and even misuse of other people's badges.

Perhaps this should be introduced in UK as a whole.
  • Slosh
    All I can say is that at school today, when I went in again to try and a start on things before we go back on Monday was the first time I have ever parked in a disabled space. I can honestly say I never took up a space.
    Julian of Norwich