Age is just a number - isn`t it?

theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 30. Aug 2014, 03:29 in Community Chit-chat archive
We`ve had our two sports-mad grandsons this week for a sleepover, they`re age 9 and 7. They set up their cricket stuff in the park yesterday, and I took up my usual position behind the stumps - they figure there`s not as much "work" for me to do there, ie less running.So one`s batting, one`s bowling, and Grandad is fielding. I managed to take two catches - well done, I thought, so I said I was on a roll, maybe I should have a go at bowling, (joking, of course.) Number 1 grandson said he didn`t think I`d be able to do a run-up, as "people who are quite old sometimes have accidents and fall.I`d probably be safer behind the stumps."

I`m 63, but not in my head!! Ah well, I know he meant well, and at least he didn`t say "very old."

Comments

• marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear :) But dont forget to 9 and 7 year olds 30 is probably getting quite old :lol: Being not far behind you and a grandma guess it just par for the course actually acording to the work and pensions we are getting younger every day :lol::lol: Marrianne ...feeling 25
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    A couple of years ago at school I had on a new coat with a big ruffle round the collar. An 8 year old pupil admired it and said I looked beautiful, like the queen! I was 51 at the time.

Much preferred the pupil whomasked me how old I was, and when I said guess looked at me closely and then said 36.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    And just remembered this one. My Mum was 43 when she had me and always said I kept her young as it brought her into contact with younger women. She also though told the story of when, at my first parents evening my teacher came up to her, praising a drawing I had done of my Mum, said it showed very good observation and she should be proud of me as I was obviously bright. My Mum always said that when dhe saw the drawing with grey curls and lots of wrinkles she did wish I wasn't quite so observant or bright!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • FelicityD
    FelicityD Bots Posts: 39
    Good to see cricket is still a sport played by the young ones. I'm impressed that you did make two catches. Well done! Don't think I could do that and I am a just a few years younger. I rememeber when I used to take the children over to their grandparents house. They would all have grand time but the next day both Nini and Grandpa had to have a duvet day:) I think it was only when the kids were in their early teens that they finally twigged that they needed to go easier on them.

I think it is all relative, when I was in my teens I thought 35 was when you were old. Today I think it's 90.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    I love it theresak..children say it like it is..but like you say its what in our head I am 64..but really a teenager...next door to me had a bouncy castle for there birthday and I asked could I have a go, the little one looked sheepish and said you could.. but its a safety issue :shock: :lol: my GC are gowning up now but for one the baby at 2...but she seems to know I can t put her on the slide.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    :) B :)
    barbara12 wrote:
    I love it theresak..children say it like it is..but like you say its what in our head I am 64..but really a teenager...next door to me had a bouncy castle for there birthday and I asked could I have a go, the little one looked sheepish and said you could.. but its a safety issue :shock: :lol: my GC are gowning up now but for one the baby at 2...but she seems to know I can t put her on the slide.. :roll:
    ....Barbara baby knows best :):) But us oldies with well worn limbs should decide to definately try a bouncing castle at least once .....We see one at a local pub and I get desperate for a good bounce.. :lol: Marriannexx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Yes, Felicity D, we'll be having a gentle day tomorrow, having taken the boys back to their mum & Dad this afternoon. We're going on holiday on Monday, so should come back refreshed!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Tezz
    I'm a bit older than you as you know....68
    What I was told once was that old age is 15 years older than you are at that particular moment.
    I like that :lol:
    I haven't even reached middle age yet {in my head} :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    I think it's about attitude. Some people seem to be born middle aged while others always seem to be young at heart and open to new ideas.
    My sister who is 19 years older than me andin her early 70's is already starting to talk about death, saying things like "We bought some new dining room chairs, we had the others for 10 years and I thought these are the last I will buy".
    The irony is, she's fitter than I am!
    Julian of Norwich