Advice needed Please!

silkysam
silkysam Member Posts: 113
edited 31. Aug 2014, 10:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Ultrasound guided Steroid injection for pain relief? I have OA in both hips and lower spine. Also , I have two prolapsed discs. Main pin is in hip, buttock (sciatica) and down my right eg. Last time I went to see Orthopaedic Surgeon, they offered me this treatment but seemed unclear if it would help as they weren't sure if the pain is caused by OA or Prolapsed discs. Anyone else had a similar problem please?

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there,

I had a guided ultrasound injection into my hip area in March. I had been suffering from trochanteric bursitis for about 9 months, and had been given two steroid injections into the area, which did nothing to alleviate the pain.

The guided injection was like magic - excruciating when it was being done, but blissfully pain-free a few days later. Previously, I hadn't been able to lie on the affected side, sit comfortably, or walk properly. It was a huge success and lasted a fair while, though I may have to have another.They are so much more accurate.

Hope this helps,

Tezz x
  • silkysam
    Hi TheresaK, thanks so much for your reply. Did you have pain in buttock area as well as hip? Also do you suffer with OA also? It is wonderful to see you had such a good result and it does hearten me to try it. Thank you again for such a positive result and I hope it continues to help you :):)
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Silky..
    I have had varying results from these injections. I have OA in my lower spine and osteoporosis in spine and left hip.
    All I can say is. . It's worth a shot. Lol
    I really hope that out works wonders for ya if you have it done.
    Let us know.

Best wishes :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello silkysam
    I always say give it a go, I have had them in my hips and spine,but not brilliant results for me then they did them in my thumbs..and they worked for a good 6 months...good luck with them...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I've got an appointment with a consultant on Tuesday for trochanteric bursitis on both sides, the right worse than the left, and think the guided injection may be the next thing. I've got OA in knees, hands and one foot, as well as an old prolapsed disc on the right side, so I don't know if he will want to investigate further. My pain is on the outside of both hips and also, at times, in the groin. I also suffer from sciatica down into my right leg, which is the result of the prolapsed disc. I've had a steroid injection from my GP, which didn't work, but, if the guided injection works, I'm looking forward to having relief from pain. Hope that it goes well for you.

Meg
  • silkysam
    Oh, thank you so much everyone for getting back to me. I always feel so much better when I ask fellow sufferers that understand our dilemma :). I don't know how I would manage now without this forum! I feel confident about telling the Consultant my decision now. It is so much better and comforting to be reassured :) . I also like the fact there are people with similar conditions and pains in similar places who can empathize, sometimes the pain can get pretty intense as you know, if I am sleep deprived.I get things out of perspective and frighten myself. It makes everything seem do-able and a light at the end of the tunnel when I hear feedback.I do sound a lot like you Megrose489. So thank you for your priceless feedback. Feel so much more in control now :):). All thanks to all of you xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi Silkysam,

Yes, I did have pain in my buttock - I always tried to shift my weight to the other one while sitting. I have RA, not OA.

I hope you can have the guided injection, as they ate so much more accurate. Remember to rest for 48 hours if you get one.

Tezz x