painful elbow.

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 6. Sep 2014, 10:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have had painful elbows for over 20 years but never had any treatment, bar one cortisone injection before I was diagnosed with RA. Now one elbow is flaring and every twisting movement is agony.

Is there anything I can buy to support it to keep it in one place? Sorry Its just my other joints have had all the attention over the years and my elbows usually take a back seat so I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people on here.

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• tkachev
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    No elbow people on here? I'm not seeing my rheummy until January and there isn't a nurse you can contact anymore.

Painkillers have helped today though.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I'm an elbow person! I haven't got one because I haven't got round to it yet (and because I'm hoping my Rheumy will help sort things out soon) but Sticky mentioned you can get them from Amazon.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    My RA has not yet affected my elbows but I get really bad tennis elbow which is such a joke as I'm the least coordinated person ever. :) I have an ice wrap thing that helps and I used to wear those tubigrip things. You can get tubigrip from most chemists.

I feel for you, it's so annoying to get pain in a hinge joint.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Yes, they do sell them on Amazon. I've no idea how effective they are because they didn't when mine were bad :roll: However, remembering what it was like, I'd give it a go, Elizabeth but remember only to use them for brief periods so that the muscles don't stop working. Good luck and let's know how you get on, please.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    What do they sell in Amazon? I think something got deleted or I'm not understanding :oops:

I am having difficulty drying up and ironing! :lol:

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    Elbow supports. Is that likely to help?
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    tkachev wrote:
    I am having difficulty drying up and ironing! :lol:

Ironing? What's that?!! :o

Seriously though, take it easy....the chores can wait.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Elizabeth my slbows are rubbish to left one wont bend back completely the right one is a little better but the muscle aches ,they dont flare up any more though due to the biologics 12 weeks without a true flare ,but dont think they will ever go back to normal now I have only ever used wrist supports which helps a little to take some of the strain the only thing I can think of apart from all the usual heat pads cold compresses is arnica jell gently applied no need to rub it just sinks in got through a fair few litres over the years ,the ironing pile is very high here I only iron as I really need things :lol: hope you can find something to help Marrianne ((()))
  • tkachev
    Elbow supports. Is that likely to help?

Thanks Sticky. I didn't see elbow supports mentioned but I thought that was what you were all talking about.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Unfortunately ironing is never ending at this house and will be even worse now the children are going back to school.

I am unable to use my crutches very well. As my knees and hips have been flaring I'm struggling to get around. I'm hoping some elbow supports will help.

Many thanks,

Elizabeth xxx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    School uniforms :x I remember them well. However, I'm afraid my two boys, both magnetically attracted to dirt of all kinds, wore polycotton shirts and polyester trousers until they were old enough to iron their own. I relied on body heat to get any creases out :oops: I never saw the point in ironing their heavy cotton rugby shirts as they were invariably screwed up into a non-existent space in their bags. If you must iron, have you thought of getting an ironing press?
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    I have thought about it Sticky. At the moment I'm trying to buy items that do not require ironing but non-iron shirts don't live up to their name! The OH was allegedly taught to iron as a young boy but you'd never know it.

I'm going to try a support.

Elizabeth.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Have you tried a quick blast on high in the tumble dryer for an ironing alternative? Admittedly, it isn't quite a perfect creases kind of press but it does get the worst creases out.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Elizabeth
    Sorry you are struggling with your elbow...my OH has an elbow support off E**y..its has velcro like the hand support do...there are soft ones around in the£1 shops..not sure how good they are..x
    Love
    Barbara