I may be off for a little while.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 5. Sep 2014, 07:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
I think I've fallen for a computer scam - apparently I've been 'Trojaned' so I won't be on-line until it's been sorted. :( I feel an utter twerp. :oops: If you have my email address please don't send me anything until I've announced I'm germ-free. I am very cross with myself for falling for it. A very embarrassed DD. :oops:
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh,DD, there are so many of these scams - and remember we have low immunity!!!

Hope you get sorted soon.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Oh DD it can happen to anyone, I nearly fell for it one time I was lucky I cottoned on in time. hope you can get it sorted out soon, you will be missed. xx

I take it you are using Mr DD's computer at the moment :wink:
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    DD these things come from all directions..there are some horrible people out there that do noting else...sad really...hope you get it sorted very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Oh please don't feel so cross or embarrassed, it happens to the best of us. Shamefully, I will admit that it's happened more than once to me!

I hope it gets sorted soon and that you're back with us before you know it.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    You're not a twerp at all. It can easily happen, even when we are aware of them. Hope you get is sorted quickly.
    Christine
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi DD
    It happens to most of us at some time or other.
    It makes you wonder where these people find the time.......imagine having nothing to do except things like this.
    You'll be missed ....you know that don't you.
    I bet you miss your computer......I know if something happens to mine even for a day I wonder what I did without it :wink:
    Give us all a shout as soon as your back
    Love
    Hileena
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Don't worry about it, its even happened to me in the passed and I study computer security :P

My recommendations for the future would be:

Download a more secure browser such as Firefox

Download some security add ons such as Adblock, NoScrpt and SecureSSL

Delete Java from your computer, this plugin is the most common way people get viruses and it's hardly ever used anyway, if you do find that you use it for some applications then set the settings to always ask permission.

Download a piece of software called Mcafee site advisor, it's a freeware program that runs as a toolbar in your browser telling you if a website if safe or not. For example the toolbar icon would be green on google.com but might be yellow or red on an unknown website. When it shows a website as yellow or red it will tell you the known risks on that website before it loads at that point it will give you an option to not load the website or to load the website at your own risk.

I hope this will be helpful for the future to help avoid getting another virus.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hello DD
    i hope you wont have to wait too long for your computer to be fixed.
    take care sue had a virus on her computer it wiped it out.
    thinking of you
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    So sorry to hear about this. It could happen to any of us I know and, in fact, happened to a friend of mine a few months ago. I hope that you get everything sorted out quickly. You will be much missed!

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I can't provide any good advice such as As5567's as I'm useless with techie stuff but I can assure you you are not a twerp just a normal human being (Crikey! Did I really type that :o:lol: ) who makes the odd mistake - but then, unlike many, has the courage to own up to it. I hope you're not offline for long. We all need you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    As5567 This is really cheeky but if you don't mind me asking you; please could you recommend free anti-virus and anti-malware software for my laptop? Thank you! 8)
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    No DD, not a twerp but a very capable woman who has made a mistake, which given all that you have been having to cope with is perfectly understandable. I do hope it can all be fixed soon so we can have the benefit of your excellent company again - s'not the same without you.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Starburst wrote:
    As5567 This is really cheeky but if you don't mind me asking you; please could you recommend free anti-virus and anti-malware software for my laptop? Thank you! 8)

Avast and Malwarebytes are usually recommended on MSE. But have a look on the MSE forum techie thread for yourself. :)

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Afternoon everyone, how's things? I am posting from Mr DD's computer ( a desktop as opposed to my notebook, which is upstairs and also horrible on the neck). I am pleased to report that mine is being fixed for a mere £40 by a reputable local firm and that no monies have left my bank account. :D I am hoping to have my newly-laundered machine back by Thursday and they are installing AVG for me.

Thank you, each and every one, for your kind messages of support and understanding and especial thanks to As5567 for the advice - it is much appreciated! I hope you are all as well as you possibly can be but if not you have my empathy and understanding as life is still proving to be challenging on the joints and pain front. Mind you, when isn't it? :lol: DD
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Starburst wrote:

I would recommend Malwarebytes and Microsoft security essentials, you can download both of these programs from https://ninite.com/ under the security section. ninite is a 3rd party installer bypassing all of the junk/freeware that usually comes with free software.
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    Great to hear from you
    I'm glad you'll be back online Thursday {hopefully}
    Have you missed the computer??? I think I said to you one time that when mine crashed I wondered what I ever did before it :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Sadly my computer was not ready today - I am using my K Fire but find it fiddly. My bloods were fantastic, it's a shame they don't match the reality but that is one of the many joys of an auto-immune arthritis, it loves the deceit. :roll: I hope you are all as well as possible and I hope to be properly back tomorrow when I will do my best to catch up. ((( ))) x. DD
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    Good to hear you even if you aren't on your own computer
    Hopefully hear you tomorrow
    Love
    Hileena
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I don't know exactly what happened to your computer but they could have taken card and password details so be careful and change things if you can.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein