Can anyone with knee arthritis help please!!

angilee
angilee Member Posts: 102
edited 15. Sep 2014, 14:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

Some of you may remember a while back that I posted regarding pain at the back of my knee (back of leg) after pressing my GP (much to his disgust) for an MRI scan it came back clear! I know the knee has arthritis from an x ray done a few years ago...I have always had pain at the front, where the kneecap is..but now it is on the inside of the knee and around the back.

The question I have for those of you who have knee arthritis is...is this a likely place to feel the pain? as I said nothing else was apparent on the scan (bakers cyst etc) so I am now very confused if this is arthritic pain or not.

I am so upset at the way my GP has handled this...he was angry that I asked for a scan..and angrier still when the results showed nothing. I feel I cannot talk to him any more and don't know where to go from here.

Thank you all so much for your support

Angilee

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As I recall (it's over 30 years since I had my original knees :roll: ) the pain was front and sides, not back. Might it be a muscular problem? Have you tried physio?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • angilee
    angilee Member Posts: 102
    Hi Sticky,

Yes, I saw NHS Physio, she couldn't find anything wrong! it is all a bit confusing and the pain is getting me down.

Thank you so much for your help

Angilee
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry, Angilee. I can't think of anything else if neither an MRI or a physio can help.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've never had pain at the back of my knees (both have severe deterioration thanks to PsA and OA) but, as you now know there's nothing physically wrong, I wonder if it's a matter of referred pain? Pain is a complicated matter, it isn't just about the direct hurts we feel, others can be created thanks to out-of-kilter joints or something pressing on a nerve. I am not a doc but this might be an explanation. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    If it isnt swollen Angilee nor stopping you from walking .consider topical pain dullers so you can exercise supporting muscles ,and giving the tendons and ligaments behind the knee a good stretch ,I had a total knee replacement few years ago and my other knee is pretty rubbish now the main is concentrated at the side and the front ,have on a few accasions had throbbing at the back but generally due to limping good luck with it getting better soon ,do let us know how you go on Marrianne xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I do get pain at the back of my left and right knee and sometimes it feels like the centre of the knee that pain is more like a hot poker type pain. I think the pain is different with each person. What marrianne says is right and I agree with her. I hope you find what everyone has said of some use to you.
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    I have RA And OA and need a knee replacement my pain is all around my knee ..it stops me walking I cant flex it or straighten it and the pain is extreme :oops: ..when did you get the mri done did it show anything ? where else have you Arthritis at ? maybe try a heat pack and paracetamol should dull the pain ..good luck
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Angilee..and good for you standing your ground with your GP, I have had to do this quite a few times now, at least you got the scan ...my husband has arthritis of the knee and did get a bakers cyst, so I am glad you haven't got one of those,,but his pain is normally at the front and the side of the knee...the inside..I hope you can get some answers soon..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Hey, certainly I am not a doctor but, it could be a pain related to an old knee injury, which is formed by various conditions like excess weight and orthopaedic nature. In this case, excess weight refers to excessive body weight and excessive objects that you carry. Along with time, the injury or orthopaedic nature will increase so that pain at the back of the knee can get worse.

When the PCL (one of four ligaments that help the knee joint remain stable) is damaged, the knee can feel odd because it's not able to be fully stabilised. This is often described as the knee "giving out". The swelling and pain leads to reduced motion and knee flexibility.
    Don’t know whether MRI is able to diagnose it but, it is considered as one of the leading causes of knee pain at the back side. However, physio would have been a help in these case. why not to take second opinion?

This are just possibilities. The best treatment is often rest and elevation, along with mild pain medications. Hope you get relief soon!!!

Amanda.
  • Shantelx
    Shantelx Member Posts: 22
    Hi I had exactly the same symptoms had an X-ray/ MRI all came back clear they kept telling me it was arthitis all on NHS. I paid £200 to see a surgeon at a private hospital and within 6 minutes told me my knee cap wasn't sitting in the grove it was off to the side and has fallen down I wouldn't leave it mines been left a year I'm now waiting for my op hopefully in nov/dec hope this helps and you get it sorted doctors aren't always right!!

X
  • stickywicket
    That' sounds a bit odd, shantelx. You had an x-ray and MRI which 'came back clear' yet you were still told you had arthritis in the knee? I wonder if they meant it was your auto-immune arthritis (I seem to remember you take tocilizumab) flaring?

I'd not heard of a slipped kneecap so I looked it up on NHS Choices. It seems it's very rare, usually very obvious even without an x-ray and usually occurs as a result of a sports injury so I guess you've been singularly unlucky to get this especially as you already have arthritis. I hope the op will sort it out for you. Good luck :)
    Steven Wright
  • Shantelx
    Shantelx Member Posts: 22
    Yeah I've been told this for about a year untill I decided to go private after seeing the surgeon he told me straight away after messing about with my knee and once I went bk to the NHS doctor who I originally seen in orthopaedics told me it was still arthitis and kept offering knee injections I had to send in a complaint in the end as he clearly had no idea what he was talking about, my knees got considerably worse through the year as I'm still awaiting the op and now winters on it's way so are the flare ups not so much fun but yeah doctors aren't always right and you know your own body!! Took me to pay for an answer but just glad I know what's wrong now :)
  • stickywicket
    None of this makes sense to me but, if you and your surgeon are happy with the way things are going, I hope the problem will be resolved eventually by the op.
    Steven Wright