The R&A Golf Club have ceded.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 19. Sep 2014, 11:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
They have voted to allow women members so maybe it's time for the WI to return the compliment? :wink: Am I right in thinking that The Masons and Lord's are the remaining social organisations that are purely male bastions? I worked at Lord's one summer, many moons ago, and it was very refreshing to be treated with courtesy and deference. Here in Ipswich we have a pub which perseveres in maintaining segregated bars and it's popular.

I know this sounds very old-fashioned and very much against the current tide of popular culture but I cannot see any reason why the genders should not have their separate areas for entertainment. As many of you know I appreciate men and thoroughly enjoy their company but I fail to understand why my gender feels the need to muscle in on their preserves (and yes, men also make great jam :wink: ). Our group of friends often do boys and girls nights out - when us girls return to the rendezvous it's often described as 'We knew you were approaching, the white noise level was deafening!'

My head will be below the parapet for some time on this. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I stand corrected - apparently (according to Radio 5Live which was burbling in the background whilst I was cheffing ) many other famous golf clubs are men-only - I bet they're quaking in the their plus fours. DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    There are also some women only golf clubs apparently.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    And why not? It is pleasant (once in a while) to be socially apart from the opposite gender, no? DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    But that would also be the argument of men only clubs
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    There is still a pub in Newcastle town centre which is men only - no idea how popular it is.

With regard to Lords, I seem to remember Rachel Heyhoe-Flint making a point about women members a few years ago.