The lists worked!

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 24. Sep 2014, 02:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Thank you all and I am sorry I didn't get back to you and your ideas, they all helped.
I was busy thinking it wasn't worth a break given all the organising I ended up doing but it truly was. Mr LV did all the driving meaning that I snoozed most of the way down there. My Dad has a love of pushing the pram (and lapping up the comments about his grand-daughters) so I barely pushed all week which made a huge difference to my normal routines. There were four pairs of hands to deal with two little people which I think is about an acceptable ratio and that gave me a huge rest - I went some days with barely changing a nappy, very rare! Mr LV got me a massage which didn't cure things but was lovely and I even managed a swim in the Atlantic, wow, so refreshing and quite soothing as it was almost a flat calm. The girls had a ball and loved playing in the sea until they turned blue. An added bonus was that the bed we had was too short for Mr LV so he spent a few nights in a single bed in the girls room. That meant I had a bed to myself, no snoring and no night time get ups - now that is what I call a break. The only minus was that the oral steroids had the impact they always have a month after I finish them which is the skin on my feet becomes incredibly fragile and so I end up with sores that won't heal. I am at a wedding this weekend and had, a few months ago, bought some heels which I cannot begin to think of wearing. I have some flip flops arriving with LO on one foot and VE! on the other - seemed quite appropriate for a wedding and for my needs. It might be a bit casual but my dress with it's 50s netted petticoat should be wow enough to distract.
I had a bit of a wobble at the weekend when I came home, I think I had got out of my routine enough to finally let the arthritis and the enbrel and all that has happened over the summer get to me. I cried and it felt like a dam bursting so hopefully that means I am ready to wobble forwards.
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello my lovely, I am pleased to hear from you and very pleased that you have had such a great break - you needed it and were given it, yes? Now it's back to the reality of everyday life but you have some great memories on which to draw. I admit I love the times that me and him don't sleep together in the same bed - ah the luxury of space, all the covers and no disturbance every time he turns over - utter bliss! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    (((()))) As usual, you concentrate on the good and I'm very pleased you all had a good time. The Dam Busters is an indication that life's crud continues but we will be here urging you along in your Flip Flops. Go for it, girl! We are the trailblazers. If arthritics are doing it today, the rest of the world will catch up tomorrow. Besides, if the two adorables are going to the wedding, no-one will be looking at you anyway :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I was wondering how your holiday went and I'm glad to hear it gave you the rest you needed and that everyone stepped up to the mark to help you.
    I can understand the tears when you got home and reality reared it's ugly face again, and having sore and painful feet can't help.

I must admit my OH and I do seperate beds, I am very restless and wake several times a night and he comes up to bed later than me, which always wakes me and then snores.

I hope the wedding goes well and your flip flops sound great as does your dress. And I'm afraid that just one cute toddler tends to attract all the attention, two only more so.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    You did it and enjoyed it. What could be better!!!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you got away. It sounds like it was a good experience and as for swimming in the sea, you are brave!
    I cried and it felt like a dam bursting so hopefully that means I am ready to wobble forwards.

I burst the dam yesterday. It helped. Sometimes feeling vulnerable for a while helps us build strength. Weeble and wobble, you're still moving forwards.

Having nannied for twins from the age of 3 months to the age of 2, I can concur that you need lots of hands. Small people get everywhere and very fast!

I have the most amazing cream for feet, it's French and called akileine. It's not cheap but it's worth it. I have very delicate skin on my feet too and nothing else worked.

Keep on keepin' on ;) xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Showing my age, but as the ad used to say

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

Seems like a good motto for us all.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich