'Swearing'

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 28. Sep 2014, 16:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's an old perennial on here but I have been particularly annoyed these last few days by seeing a newbie asterisked for swearing (He came back to protest he hadn't) while a regular member went unmodded for using the [******] anagram.

This is precisely why I'm in favour of allowing everyone to use language as they see fit – because there isn't, and cannot be, a consensus on what constitutes 'swearing' or 'bad language'. It relies on individual perceptions and, as such, cannot be legislated for.

We are in pain. We require language to reflect it. If the Prime Minister can say, on Daytime TV “Don't vote Yes just to give the 'effing Tories' a kick” why can't we use lesser adjectives to describe our pain?

I initially thought I'd put this thread on Chit Chat but, after some thought, decided that LWA is the correct place for it. It is where most 'swearing' takes place. No prizes for guessing why.

word deleted by Mod YEH
Unfortunately Mods are not infallible and occasionally a post may be missed. In this case you can either report it or not - the Mods are not using double standards or choosing words/posts/members to allow or not.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't see why they are so strict on 'swearing'.......obvs some certain bad words should be filtered which is the case on most forums but I find that this forum is way over sensitive when it comes to bad words. It's 2014 and this is the internet, every user here I'm sure has seen these bad words before and doesn't take no offense to them, the internet was intended to be uncensored and it should stay like that.

Just an idea for the mods if they are concerned about swearing and youngsters, why not code up a quick algorithm to filter words out for people <18 and not filter words for people >18?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I too have noticed the double standards on here - are we as members supposed to report the bad language? I haven't because I'm not offended, we're adults, adults who are in constant grinding pain and should be allowed the outlet of the odd bad word or two to release that extra little bit of tension. This forum has lost a great deal of content and colour over the past year or so- plus some excellent members - which I for one miss.

I can express myself without resorting to bad language - well I can in writing :wink: - but every now and again the odd naughty word would help to lend an extra emphasis to what I might need to say about me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Sometimes it's just what's needed,there's swearing and theres swearing are we not adult enough to know ? Mig
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    I never have and , I hope , never will use these words . Having said that ; I don't intend to tell others what they should and shouldn't write or say . If anything particularly irritates me , I stop reading it ! Aren't we all mature enough to make up our own minds ?
    mamasmurf
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    If the swearing issue is due to under 18's being on this forum then

all I can say to that you should hear some of the language that the average 12 year olds plus use these days around here and no doubt around the country.

Like mama surf I don't use the words either but have lived long enough to not to object to some words and yes obviously some words have to be totally banned for human decency, but I am ok with someone venting on here, its good for the soul sometimes.

Tlhat's my take on it for what its worth.

Kath
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    ****** me, sw, you're at it again.

word deleted by Mod YEH
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I think it depends on what you mean by swearing...I would hate it to end up like some of the American forums...but then again it gone crackers, I had a PM stopped the other day.. very mild it was... :lol: unlike when I am having a painful day... :o not black and white I'm afraid.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • ichabod6
    Second try -

bee you double gee eee are me, sw, you're at it again.
  • stickywicket
    ichabod - I saw your original kind offer but didn't have time to reply before it was transformed into asterisks. I am doubly flattered that you should repeat it so eloquently. Thank you so much but I fear I must, sadly, decline on anatomical grounds :wink:

Mod YEH – Thank you for inadvertently illustrating my point twice over :wink: (a)by deleting a word which is regularly used on here, unchallenged and unmoderated while (b)allowing the Prime Minister's stronger language to stand. If one person cannot be sure what constitutes a swear word and what doesn't how can a whole body of Moderators hope to achieve consistency?

(I made no mention of 'double standards' only of individual perceptions of standards. I don't think there is any skullduggery going on, only that you, our valued, hard-working Mods, are attempting to perform an impossible, and ultimately self-defeating, task.)
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh Ichabod! That's a gem and no mistake. :lol: That was worth the effort of getting out of bed and creaking to the kitchen! DD
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Tee hee, moderate this if you will :)

"****** Bognor" Supposedly the last words of King George V, seen in more history books than one could shake a s***** stick at :lol:

Cherry

word edited by Mod CK
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Quack quack, sorry for the fowl language.

I've never been very easily offended by the use of the English language. I doubt young people would be either and anyway, I've never seen anything worse than a few tinkers cusses on here. So long as it isn't used in an abusive manner (which I am fairly certain it never has been) then I have no problems with it and don't see that anybody else would - if people do then they can always report it or just not read it. Surely if we are looking for a consistency for mods to work by then is should be no anatomically descriptive words and nothing being used to hurl abuse - the rest of the shoot we can probably all agree is not worth their time since they already have quite a huge job to do.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • ichabod6
    Hello dd,

Have you got a surveillance camera?
    I think I have another cause to celebrate. This should be my 900th post
    I may catch you up one day. Are you boffered?

ps hope this gets past security.
  • dreamdaisy
    Actually, your post on my thread was your 901st so not long now till the landmark 1000! We'll have a party then with a bit of hand-holding thrown in for good measure, does that sound like a plan? :wink: DD
  • stickywicket
    Will it be a private party or can anyone join in :D Have bottle, will travel.
    Steven Wright
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    I think the post that started this was mine.

The first word started with a K and means very tired and rhymes with crackered.
    The second word stared with an S and means a tuft of grass and close to pod.

Yes I will say it was a bit of a shock to have these words **** as I did not class it as swearing, my introduction post was long very long and very personal, I opened up to every one,not easy but if this place is going to help I felt people needed to know me. And what I stand for.
    My spelling is terrible my grammar is just as bad but this has never stopped me. I will always help anyone i can I have taken on some big well known compaines for disabled rights and always won. it is quite odd that it is myself who needs the help now.

There is one thing though the Mod have a thankless task and they have to think if kids are reading as well, unlikely I know but not impossible, and if we really want swearing on the forum.

I think most of use if we are doing to swear would ** ourselfs of the words would not be that bad etc

James
  • stickywicket
    Blimey, James :shock:

Yes, I put this thread up after seeing your first post and feeling indignant that a newbie should be so censored. However, I'd no idea the asterisks had replaced such mild words :o

I think you experienced a bit of 'extreme modding' there :lol: Welcome to the forum, mate :D
    Steven Wright
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Thank you for the welcome mate

I hope to be able to help the forum and to get help as well.

I have done a lot for the Jaguar forum on car detailing and the caravan forum for caravan cleaning etc.

I am of fishing for the next 4 days and 3 nights so really looking forward to this.

James