To inject or not to inject? That is the question

LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 30. Sep 2014, 12:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I spent Tuesday night in A&E with my lovely Summer, she had a whooping 39.5 degree temperature and a racing heart which wouldn't respond to medication or any efforts by me or the medics to settle her. Lots of tests and a good vomit later and all that anybody could conclude was that she had a very nasty virus. She won't drink so isn't recovering as fast as possibly she would but has improved (I've syringe fed her water which made me feel doubly bad as she hates it and I have just finished a book on suffragettes being force fed). Anyway, today is meth day, I have a bit of a sore throat and naturally, after being Florence for so long, I'm very tired. I'm sore, I want my meth but I'm not sure whether to risk letting the nasty virus in. I'm tired, I can't decide so any ideas/ experiences from you might help me. Part of me thinks take it as I'd rather have a sore throat than sore joints and part of me is really unable to decide which way will make me more use(less) to the girls. Please help my feeble brain work this one out...I know I have to make the decision but I'm struggling to.
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am not as wise as some of the wonderful people on here but I would wait to see what if anything you are brewing .You need to be as able as possible for your babies,if you are unsure call the helpline.
    Today should be my HUMIRA day I have taken the decision not to inject ,I woke this morning with a headache blocked nose and then started feeling queasy and have been to the toilet numerous times,we were supposed to go to the theatre this afternoon that's cancelled and now I'm debating wether to have the flu jab on Saturday or wait till the next session.
    Sorry to hijack your post but we are in similar positions.
    Take care hope you feel better soon. Mig
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Hello lv,

In a word inject.
    In other words I've just downloaded the Heroes Welcome.
  • LignumVitae
    I injected - my right hand and right knee made it clear they would prefer to face a more severe virus than miss the meth, who was I to disagree?

Mig - I think you aren't supposed to have the flu jab if you are under the weather but I hope you are feeling much better now.

Ichabod - enjoy! I loved Half the Human Race - it was a real eye opener but also a great story.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My hospital has always said no to injecting when a sore throat is in evidence but I don't have twins bundles of gorgeousness to look after. I see you've done it and I hope all will be well.

Oh honey, why can't life be easy every once in a while? ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    I've forgotten what easy is like and have decided that I shall just be content with those little lulls between crises :D on the plus side I think I must be quite calm in a crisis these days - when people say 'that must have been frightening' I increasingly seem to find myself thinking 'not really'.
    I'm drinking gallons of water to try and flush any bugs out of my system and I'm sure if the girls sleep through that will help too. Here's hoping!
  • dreamdaisy
    If I was a mother I would now be administering the Junior Calpol not only to me but also to them. :wink: I hope it's a peaceful night at chez LV. DD

PS How is Summer now?
  • mig
    Thanks LV I am feeling better ,I too drink loads of water (as well as other liquids ) I have done my humira we had a debate about it and decide it would be better to do it but are putting the flu jab off for another week.I hope the meth kicks in for you soon ,how are the girls now. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    LV ..what a decision ..but I suppose made easy by the pain..I wouldn't have been able to advise has I know nothing of these meds,but I do hope Summer is recovering and mummy is feeling the effect of the meds and can get some sleep ((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • LignumVitae
    Thank you everybody. Summer isn't drinking loads and is a bit whingy but apparently, the two of them are not tired and don't need to go to bed. That's just leaves me feeling ready for bed then!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sorry, I was out for the day yesterday, LV, and missed this. I hope you are all feeling a bit better today though I fear at least one of you won't be. (((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    I'm sitting down with a sleeping summer on my knee in the observational unit of the local hospital. Her face has swollen and she has a rash. There's still no obvious symptoms or focus as they keep saying. I've spectacularly failed to catch her wee in a pot but what's a wet knee between friends? She's having bloods done shortly to see if they show anything up but although all the medics are concerned none can find a cause other than maybe a virus or a UTI. I'm snotty but I can live with that!
  • mig
    Hows Summer now LV ? been thinking off you all.Mig
  • stickywicket
    Oh how scary! I hope things are better today. Kids go downhill very quickly then, just as they've wiped us out completely, both physically and mentally, they bounce back leaving us like a wet rag. I rather hope that will be the case for you as, if Summer is feeling better, you will too. (((()))) to both.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Ohhh LV, poor little Summer and as for her lovely mummy, big hugs to you! It must seem never ending and so scary when they're too young to tell you how they're feeling. How are you both this evening? xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Just wanted to ask the same thing, and such rotten timing as well after your break. Hope she is starting to feel better and that you are not too bad.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    Thank you all. After blood tests :( and a urine test (where I caught yet more of it on me) we are still no further on. Her temperature has dropped a bit and getting fluids in is a bit easier but her face is swollen still and she's miserable. I'm a bit chesty and very stiff and sore but I'd happily take her virus off her hands and deal with it for her. Back to monitoring her, fingers crossed it gets bored and leaves her alone soon. It's so weird that Tegen is fine but finger crossed that continues to be the way!
  • mig
    Hugs for all. (((()))) Mig
  • stickywicket
    Every Mum's nightmare – an undiagnosed illness :o And, as every arthritic Mum knows, these things always happen when we ourselves are laid low. I know you'll cope, LV, because it's what you do, but it must be so tough on so many fronts.

I guess things are a little better if her temp is down a bit and you are managing to get some fluids in. Good, too, that Tegan is free of whatever it is. (Twins don't always do things in tandem. My brother had chicken pox three times before my sister caught it.)

You are not a proper Mum until you've been well and truly weed on (and sicked on, of course). Having boys, I was initiated early – in the maternity hospital when changing one of my firstborn's early nappies :roll:

Thinking of you very much.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hope she starts to get better soon, and/or they can get to the root of what's wrong with her. Sending hugs to you both.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    Hello L V any news on Summer ? Mig
  • stickywicket
    (((())))
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how are things now? I hope she's getting better - and you too as far as we can do 'better'. DD
  • LignumVitae
    Hello and thank you all for thinking of us. I'm pleased to say that Summer has done that thing that children do and is now apparently totally fine (wouldn't that be nice)! That said, she is still pale and quite weak but is now eating and drinking properly so hopefully that will change soon. She is adventuring and climbing everything and is redeserving of her title 'Dangermouse'. Tegen is apparently fine so hopefully she immunised herself against whatever it was.

I would have posted yesterday but having played fair for a week while I was concentrating on Summer, arthritis is now back and wanting it's limelight. I hurt! My elbow and wrists and knees are no fun at all. I also have a bit of a cold but that's the least of my worries. I still have heard nothing about when I might start my anti-tnf and I'm wondering if it would be rude to call the hospital this week for a progress update because I could do with something happening and soon!
  • stickywicket
    Oh that is good news :D I'm so glad Summer is on the mend and Tegan has not succumbed. As for Mum, you will be shattered, LV. Yes, why not try to expedite the anti-tnf. Explain the circumstances. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    I asked the rheumatology team where things were up to. They apply for funding this week. If that goes well then the next 2-3 weeks. If that doesn't go to plan they have to apply for special individual funding - so three months. Gulp, big gulp and then maybe some tears. How long does this nightmare continue?! Oh yes, I forgot, forever, arthritis is the friend you can never shake off :(