I've stopped shaking but I'm very cold.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. Sep 2014, 03:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
There I was, pootling home from Sainsbriz with some goodies in the car when the world went peculiar. A car was coming normally towards me on his side of the road then, out of the blue, another was hurtling towards me, at very high speed performing a ludicrous overtaking manoeuvre, skinny white young male at the wheel, probably off his head on some chemical concoction or other. The one being overtaken eventually stopped (he probably hadn't seen the idiot approaching) and I slammed on Bea's brake (stalling her in the process) and the idiot hurtled by, missing my bonnet by around six inches. There then followed two police cars being chased by two more. I gulped.

I restarted Bea and made it home. As I was unloading my shopping I could hear the wails of more police sirens and a couple of ambulances. The idiot was going towards one of the bigger junctions in the town, controlled by traffic lights, but he wouldn't have been bothered by those. I am wondering who he hit and whether he's killed anyone.

I have stopped shaking now, I' e had two cuppas and about to brew a third, but I am cold. Deeply, unsettlingly cold. I'm off to find a jumper. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh DD you really are in shock, there are so many idiots on the roads, and were are the police to at least spot some of them..just seems to be a free for all driving now.. who can over take who...hope you have had a strong cuppa..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    You see these high speed cases on the TV and wonder how they manage to avoid a pile up. I suppose it is only by luck and the actions of other drivers like yourself.

I do hope nobody was hurt as a result of his reckless behaviour and very glad you managed to stop in time.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hope you feel better soon ,think hugs are called for .(((()))) Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, you are very kind to take the time to reply. I am not a settled bunny, Mr DD won't be home tonight so I've shut myself in and I'm staying in. I don't fancy driving just yet, I know that will be fine but I've really jolted my knees, and oddly my left wrist, so I reckon more than anything else that I'm not safe to drive thanks to pain.

I've been trying to estimate the speed of the cars - it must have been between 60 and 70 if not a little faster. No wonder I was all shook up! I was doing just 28! :lol: DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    That must have been terrifying for you. Take it easy and thank goodness Bea had good brakes.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    i'm sorry that happened to you. it was thank's to your good driving you was not hurt.
    ((((((((DD))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you Joan, but it was also due to the good driving of others - at least the car being overtaken eventually stopped which created a gap between his car and mine just big enough for the idiot to slip through. I suppose it would have been more public-spirited of me to slam into said twerp but I didn't feel the urge. :wink: And the Police didn't hit me either, also a good thing but there again they're trained for this kinda stuff.

I am still unsettled and about to take two more cocos. At least I've warmed up - the fan's on! DD
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    This sort of thing happened to me once - only he came from behind me and I had to brake to let him back in, followed by a police bike. half a mile later there was the car in a wall and the fool stood in cuffs. It took me a few days to be happy driving again and longer to take that stretch of road without being hyper alert. Hope you settle soon.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    That's a heluva way to trade sweating for shivering, DD! ((((()))))). Sounds terrifying, glad you are home, safe and have warmed up. Hope jolted joints soon settle down. You've gotta love peace and quiet.....

Anna

PS, Mr. B regularly still involuntarily jumps and turns white in the car when he perceives a close-call approaching. All these months later,he's obviously still scared and rattled after his accident. It's so not worth the chances these speed demons take and it's often some innocent good driver that gets hurt. To borrow a term a friend uses often: Twerps!
  • dreamdaisy
    Oooooh LV, that sounded nasty. :( I am a steady and vigilant driver (much to Mr DD's annoyance) - I don't watch the car in front, I watch the car in front of the car in front :wink: and I am always checking the rear-view mirror because stuff does occur out of the blue. This was so unexpected though, and it's true that time slows down when rapid decisions have to be made. I am OK and after some deliberation have left a message with Mr DD's PA to for him to ring me once he gets back to the office. I want to hear his voice seeing as how he ain't coming home tonight. DD

Hello Boomer, wasn't it just? :lol: I can now truly empathise with Mr B because it is flaming scary. I will drive tomorrow, pain permitting, because this is the first big scare in over twenty years of driving so that's not bad going. DD
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    That's a very nasty experience, DD, and no wonder you were in shock. There are some real idiots on the roads, to whom reckless, irresponsible driving comes naturally.

When I've had a really nasty shock like that I tend to re-visit it when I go to bed - it pops up in technicolour as soon as I close my eyes.

Keep warm, keep the painkillers handy - and they say brandy is good for shock, though personally I don't like it. I'd not refuse a nice malt whisky though.........
  • dreamdaisy
    Again I send my thanks to everyone who has taken the time and trouble to reply, I am still unsettled but not longer shaking and no longer cold. I do wish he was coming home tonight but no matter, I'm all growed up and can cope - it's not as though I came to any harm now, is it? The second lot of cocos has gone down well - did I mention that my second cuppa had sugar? I loathe sugared tea but felt it might help - and it did.

DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    What a horrid shock DD and what bad luck that Mr DD isn't home for you.I do hope that 'getting back on the horse' goes OK tomorrow - that can be the hard bit after something like this happens. Remember to breathe, and try to relax the muscles!
    Know what you mean about sugared tea. It's almost as if the body over-rides one's normal instincts in order to get a quick energy fix to back up the adrenaline fall-out.
    Be gentle with yourself - feeling 'wobbly' comes with shock and isn't weakness.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Glad to hear you are ok - what a nasty 'turn' - have only ever had a close call on a bike but that was enough to imagine that horrible feeling of imminent near-disaster. I wonder if you will hear what happened. :( Sending some 'hope you can manage some sleep' thoughts over the internet and hope they reach you.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hope you managed to get some sleep last night and there are no nasty after effects from yesterday. Take it easy
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Morning all, I hope today finds you in a better state than it finds me. I had a very broken night, with unsettled dreams and more pain than usual, so today will be a very quiet one. I've been informed that we are going to have a takeaway tonight which is a very good thing. I am hoping that Mr DD will be home a little earlier than usual, that would be lovely. DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    The aftermath can sometimes be more troubling than the original event.Take care and hope the weekend is restorative.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I hope you begin to feel better as the day goes on, DD, and that Mr. DD is home early for you. My OH is away this weekend, & while it will be quite nice to have sole ownership of the TV remote, I will be glad when he's back on Sunday night.

Enjoy your takeaway.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry I wasn't around yesterday to offer support. That must have been one horrible, scary experience. I hope you can now spend a lovely relaxing weekend with Mr DD and as little work as possible. You are 'convalescing' :wink:(((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    how are you getting on to day. i know you are a good driver if you go to day go some where you like you need a treat.
    ((((((((DD))))))))
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    I had a better night which is a good thing. He came home around the usual time but then trotted off to fetch a Chinese from the takeaway up the hill from our old house: it was totally scrummy and totally bad for us health-wise but who cares? :lol:

I am still aching and hurty in far too many places so I've booked a full-body beating up (sorry, meant massage) from my masseuse for Monday afternoon which should help to ease and undo a some of the muscular knots. I intended to take myself out for lunch yesterday (wise words there, Joan) but I couldn't summon the necessary energy - ridiculous, yes? I forgot to do my humira yesterday so must do it today. :( DD