Ultra Sound Guided steroid injection and OA of Hips

silkysam
silkysam Member Posts: 113
edited 26. Sep 2014, 12:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just come home from seeing the Orthopaedic Consultant. After an Mri scan and recent X-Ray,my OA in hips has shown to be very advanced now. The trouble is I also have two prolapsed discs. I am in constant pain (in particular Sciatica) can't lie in bed, sit down etc without extreme pain. Also, my mobility is extremely impaired re: dressing, walking etc. Consultant was very helpful and said as the problem is not straight forward owing to prolapsed discs and OA in hips and spine, he will organize an ultra sound guided injection into the hip area. I must keep a diary to note whether or not it eases the pain. Then, hopefully, he will be able to establish whether a hip replacement would benefit me. Just wondering if anyone on the forum has been down this route if they have OA and prolapsed discs, also if it helped establish the correct area to treat.

Many thanks as always for your input. :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I know that quite a few have - there have been a number of threads about it so if you do a search using one or two keywords (use the box to the top right of the screen, the one under Publications and Resources, the go button is under About Us) hopefully their experiences will pop up for you to read. The forum is rather quiet at the moment so that may be the quicker way to gain an answer. As with all steroid injections sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. DD

PS I have just dimly recalled that Hileena underwent either a similar or exactly the same procedure earlier this week, her thread is still on the first page.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • silkysam
    Thank you Dreamdaisy. Will go and find it now. Many thanks. xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello silkysam
    I was in the same position has you for a couple of years, was it mainly my hip or back..even though my hips were bad on Xray it doesn't always mean the pain is coming form there.
    I had the guided injections and a camera to look at my hip..but nothing helped so I had injection into the the disc in my back,that didn't,work.so I had a THR ..my conclusion now is after 14 months that most of the pain was from my back, don't get me wrong my hip feels much stronger but I am still in pain, now my other hip is really painful but a totally different pain from the first , this is in the groin..so take your time and hopefully if the injections work then you know its the hip..good luck with it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • silkysam
    Thanks Barbara, that was interesting what you wrote. That is what he said may happen, he said we could go straight into THR and be sitting here later, and you still in pain with your back. I also have OA in lower spine. It will be good to see if it does help with pain , barbara, did you have difficulty walking and getting in and out of a car etc? If so, did THR improve your mobility? Thanks again..
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    The THR does feel stronger like I say, but after walking I have to sit on the side of the seat before I attempt to get in the car.. but that is definitely my back , and I am also waiting to have my other hip done..so this doesn't help..but I do understand what you are going through, its scary to think you wont be much better off, that is why I am waiting to have my other THR still a bit uneasy about it..sorry if I am confusing you ..any questions just ask..
    Love
    Barbara