T was sittingat my computer.....................

fortuna
fortuna Member Posts: 149
edited 29. Sep 2014, 00:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
and when I went o get up I was in dreadful pain in my right hip. I don't think it is RA it is surely muscular? I can't walk properly as any movement makes me yell. I managed to get to bed having to suffer really sharp pains when physically lifting my leg onto the bed. I couldn't get comfortable to get to sleep. So here I am at 3 in the morning in agony - catching up with you all here. Can't walk, can't sit, can't sleep.
Gortuna

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    This sounds to me to be reminiscent of sciatic pain - I think you should go and see your GP as soon as possible or request a home visit. KathleenT has something similar going on at the moment. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    How are things now, fortuna? I hope you've managed to get some medical help on this. It sounds to me as if it requires a proper diagnosis.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,898
    Hello Fortuna
    i hope you feel a bit easer today.
    ((((((((Fortuna))))))))
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi Fortuna,

That sort of pain is really horrible, and very debilitating - I hope you can see a GP and get something to help you.

Tezz x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    The symptoms you describe, pain after being seated and having to lift your leg into bed,are very similar to when a hip needs replacing. Does it feel like the bone is sticking?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I have something similar, it's taken a long time to get an accurate diagnosis. I have an impingement of the hip and a problem (can't remember exactly what) the femoral nerve. Of course, from through the computer, we can't tell what it is, so if it lingers, speak to your rheum nurse.
  • fortuna
    Hello all,
    Well I sat up all night couldn't go back to bed as by then I couldn't raise my leg up to get on the bed! So I sat up all night. Thank goodness for recorded TV I watched all four episodes of Chasing Shadows. At least if I kept still it didn't hurt too much.
    I took Tramadol every 4 hours and rang my GP at 8 am. and he suggested I take one Tramadol and two Paracetamol 4 hourly. And if got any worse to ring back at midday. It did ease off a bit so I didn't ring. I sat and painted most of the day, not very successfully. Could not do anything else and have lived on bits and pieces in the fridge.
    Now I have a similar pain running down my ribs at the back! Am hoping I can get into bed tonight and sleep, 36 hours awake is no good to anyone.
    Hope you've all had a reasonable day.
    Fortuna
  • fortuna
    Elizabeth, I don't think it is my hip. The pain is deep in the groin, hurts when pressed and any movement.
    DD, I've had Sciatica in the past and it's not that sort of pain.
    And now my right hand has started hurting and stiffening.
    Not a bundle of laughs here this W/E!
    Fortuna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My apologies, fortuna, I didn't know that you have had sciatica. :oops: The pain in your groin could be referred pain from your hip (which could mean that OA is setting in, it has in mine) but if your hand is stiffening too then that may indicate that your meds are not controlling things as they might. When is your next rheumatology appointment? You may be due a meds tweak but in the meantime I hope things ease sooner rather than later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Groin pain is one of the places where hip problems are felt. The other place is the top centre of the affected buttock. I can't explain the back though unless you've been sitting awkwardly to compensate for the rest. Take care, Fortuna, and don't soldier on for too long. Get back to the doc if there's no improvement.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    As I said yesterday, we are not doctors so we can't be sure but like SW and DD said, hip pain is often referred. Incidentally, it could be your sacroiliac joints grumbling. Apparently it is very common to confuse SI joint and hip problems. I know this from experience!

I agree, don't solider on too long, you might need some rheum input/opinion to see how it goes.

Take care.
  • fortuna
    hi all
    My next cons. app. is 31 Dec!
    It is a bit better than when it started (1 Tramadol and 2 paracetamol every 4 hpors} excuse typos have my sp;int on. This am woke up in the same postion as I went to sleep in. And was very stiff and in pain. Again it eased a bitduring the day and my daughter did some shopping for me. SW I think you are right i must have sitting awkwardly because that is quite a bit better.

I started a tweek 10 days ago, plaqinel canr spell proper name plus MTX

One good thing is I found a ;ong scarf aover the foot. count to 3 and ptll on both ends and try not to scream!So I can get into bed and get my leg up o astool.
    I can ring at 8am on Mon for en emergency app but by the time you get through the have all gone.

I don't know whether to try and get to A&E but I can't get there under my own steam, walking is like some crazy monster. And I'm not one fpor shouting out in public. And my R hand is getting treally bad again. 2 weeks ago it was the left.
  • stickywicket
    The hands are, presumably, your auto-immune arthritis. With luck, the methotrexate and plaquenil will start to help soon but, as I'm sure you were told, it can be weeks before some people feel any effect.

Your groin is more worrying, especially if you can't lift the leg. Can you walk on it at all?

I think you should at least have a plan of what to do if it becomes worse. Your GP's answerphone will probably give details of who to contact if things get urgent but not bad enough for 999. It used to be simple - NHS Direct - but that's gone and now all areas have their own systems. If you go to the NHS website you can check what's available in your own area for Urgent Services by entering your postcode.

((()))
    Steven Wright
  • fortuna
    Hi SW
    Ican walk few steps but it is really - painful enough to cry our. I slept well last night (probably because I went over 36 houra without sleep} I cannot lift the leg without the scarf
    If I can sleep tonight and ir is just as bad I will ring 111 they operate in my area and if I can't sleep and the pain is same I will ring them earlier
    Thankss for your advice and help it is good to have people who can help when tou can't see straight.
    Fortona
  • stickywicket
    That sounds like a good plan. I hope things get better rather than worse but at least you know how to access help in your area. I hope you can sleep well.
    Steven Wright
  • fortuna
    Morning,
    I slept well and when I got up there was great improvement. I am still limping but now only grunt instead of yelling. I shall try to get an app. with my GP in the morning as I'm a bit worried that the painkillers I am on may be masking something else.
    Thank you all for your help and advice
    Fortuna
  • stickywicket
    That's very good that things are a bit easier. Plus, life never seems quite as bad after a good night's sleep. Maybe you strained a tendon or something. If so, don't rush the recovery. Please let's know how you get on.
    Steven Wright
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Hi Fortuna, I hope you are feeling a little better now. If not do try to see your gp soon. I went through something similar a couple of weeks ago although it was my knee that was the problem. I couldn't sleep and honestly thought that I needed a new knee. Fortunately it seems to be improving now. It seems to be the nature of the beast, never knowing when a bad "do" is coming. Take care, Deb