Lymph nodes swelling and Arthritis

As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 2. Oct 2014, 05:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
For some time now I have had swollen lymph nodes in my groin in one are for around 3 months. I have gone to my GP about it now 3 times and they keep telling me its Arthritis related which is a first I have heard about it.

My Rheumatologist doesn't seem to care and just tells me its for my GP to deal with.....so the question is has anyone else had anything like this?

There are 2 pea sized lumps in my groin area which my GP has confirmed are swollen lymph nodes but they appear to be getting larger as time goes on and have actually started to get tender to touch, they have only been tender to touch for the last day or so noticed while taking a shower.

I think I will have to make another appointment to see my GP about it because right now my Arthritis symptoms and swelling etc is very low and I'd have thought if it is arthritis related then the lymph nodes would get smaller as my condition got better not the other way round

I have had a look on Google to try and make sense of things but it seems that is like opening a can of worms....there are so many conditions/possibility with lymph nodes that its best just asking on here if anyone has ever experienced this with Arthritis before seeing my doctor again.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry, I can't help. I've never had this.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I've had this As5567, but earlier in my illness. They were in my neck and under my jaw. I believe it has to do with how, and what kind of immune cells are being stimulated. Mine have settled now about 3 years on, I have PsA,etc. They were quite painful too.

Anna
  • As5567
    Thanks for your reply Anna, it sure is a strange symptom but I guess it makes sense based on what you said.

Oh well I guess its something I will just have to put up with, hopefully things will settle down soon......
  • Boomer13
    Oh and I'm just going through a little of this myself. Since the weekend the nodes under my arm swelled up and are so painful to touch. Hasn't happened in a while, but I have other signs that PsA is very active again and I have no virus.

I was very worried about it at first but now I just accept it as a sign the disease is active. Doesn't really satisfy my need for a proper medical explanation but I think there is a lot about these illnesses that isn't known yet.

Are yours painful? Mine really hurt!!
  • As5567
    Painful yes but not so much a nagging pain its more of a tender sort of pain when I move about or touch the area, I will be going to see my GP again tomorrow as I think I have some sort of infection or illness -.-

Had a temp of 39-39.5 all night and today after sleeping most of the day, drinking lots of fluids and taking paracetamol its still 38. Hopefully its something straight forward to fix but given my passed history with illnesses if I'm going to be sick then I will always have the rarest of things or exceptionally bad case of what ever I have, I guess that's down to the drugs we take and not knowing were ill until the illness is well established.
  • Boomer13
    I hope it's not an infection.....fingers are crossed. You really are having a rough time with all this illness junk!!. Please update how things are with you.
  • As5567
    As suspected and confirmed by my GP I have an abscess and to further complicate things he also says I have some type of sinus/track that will need further investigation.

Now it's just the waiting game to have this thing drained and cut out, already spoke to the anesthetist and he says I've picked the worst timing ever to need an emergency operation......it looks like the safest option for me is going to have to be local anesthetic only with light sedation, usually they would give a general anesthetic or a spinal. I can't have a spinal due to not being able to flex my spine into place to make the procedure safe and he doesn't want to give me a general anesthetic because of my AS, steroids, lung fibrosis and ongoing infection

Hopefully after this is over things will be looking up, worst possible start to a new academic year, but at least its at the start of term so I have some hope of catching up when I'm well enough to return.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Crikey, you do things in style, don't you? :wink: Seriously, this sounds rough (and the treatment not much better) but the quicker this thing can be removed the better for the sake of your over-all health. Good luck and I hope it will soon be done. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry to read this. I know you were really hoping to get into some sort of shape before the new uni year and now it looks as if your body has let you down yet again. You can only deal with what's before you and hope for the best. Your determination should help. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright