Anyone had an operation for carpel tunnel

justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 29. Sep 2014, 00:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have bad carpel tunnel in both hands and its got to the point where I struggle to use keyboard and mouse. The numbness and pins and needles is quite bad.

I have been offered an operation to sort both hands out (one at a time) but wanted to ask if anyone on here has had this operation and how long was your hand/s out of action for.

I have been told that driving will be a no for up to 8 weeks but wanted to get people personal experiences if they have had an operation for carpel tunnel.

Had to keep stopping typing this due to numbness - Thank you.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I had a double carpal tunnel done in November 2012 (I think) I figured that getting it over and done with in one go was better than a double disruption and my surgeon agreed. It made life somewhat complicated for a fortnight but once that time had passed things became easier. I honestly cannot remember how long it was before I was back to using both hands but it was probably around the two-month mark. I am sure I had a thread on here about it, I'll see if I can resurrect it for you. DD

PS Found it and bumped it up, it's called I'm Getting There.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Thanks dreamdaisy - Least I have some sort of idea about the time scale for recovery - Will look at the thread you bumped up also. Thanks.
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    I've had carpul tunnel surgery on both hand one at a time. When I had the first one I was a self employed childminder and only took a week off work....stupid really. It meant that it didn't heal as quickly as it should and the stitches had to stay in an extra week. That said it was a complete success once it had healed. I had the 2nd op a few years later and as I was only entitled to 2 weeks sick pay thats when I returned to work. This time it healed in the normal time expected and again it was a complete success. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.... I used to have horrendous pain, especially at night. It felt like my hands were being crushed in a vice and to hold a telephone for more than a minute at a time was impossible. I can't remember how long it was before I was able to drive, but I think it was only a couple of weeks. Good luck with the op, you won't regret it.