Living With Arthritis Predators

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 6. Oct 2014, 05:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
I got a phone call. From a pleasant young man who informed me that his company were asking people in my street to have a look at a sample of a revolutionary new mattress and answer a few questions about it.

My first thought was why our short street and not a long one but, not wishing to engage in conversation, I simply said I was perfectly happy with my mattress and, as I was on the TPS, I shouldn't be getting these calls.

They weren't trying to sell me anything just do some research.

I asked how much they would pay me for helping with their research.

They couldn't pay but this superdooper new mattress would benefit so many poor people with arthritis and I'd be helping them so much.

I waited, a little gobsmacked and a little intrigued.

It seemed I had no idea how much people suffered with arthritis and if I could just help those poor people a little bit by answering his questions....

I said I did actually know a bit about arthritis and, if he wanted to know more, he could have a look on AC.

It wasn't just arthritis, though. This mattress was going to help all those poor people with heart problems and strokes and loads of other things. (As my dear old Uncle Joe would have said – it'll cure your wooden leg.) They just needed to ask people's opinions about this sample.

So, how much was he going to pay me for my time?

They couldn't do that. He was so sorry. He'd give me the money out of his own pocket if only he could.

(I tried not to weep.)

I said if ever I got a new mattress I wanted one exactly like the one I have. If he wanted me to help with his research.....

….and the phone went dead.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It sounds like you had some fun like a cat toying with a mouse! I do find all the snake oil so very horribly cynical. My sister in law has a (self diagnosed) auto immune condition apparently and is waxing lyrical about the 'paleo auto immune diet' to all who will listen and those who won't (me). If only a diet or a mattress could solve it all and not just cost lots and do nothing.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I hate those kind of calls. We`re also registered with the TPS, but still the unwanted calls keep coming, usually at meal times.

My husband and older son play in a ceilidh band, so son`s ploy would be to say,"No thanks, I don`t want a new mattress - would you like to hire a ceilidh band? I can give you a price."

They never do - and it`s a really good band!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    They do come up with them..we are in your area selling double glazing..do you have a mobile double glazing factory :?: ..we had a new one the other day trade in your old kitchen.. is it only me that feels sorry for these people..only some may I add they young people that start to stutter.. :lol: bless
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If on the receiving end of a spiel like that I suggest that one waits a beat and then thank them for ringing because you want to tell them about Jesus: hot potatoes won't be dropped any faster than their handset. This strategy also works for saving seats on trains so you can have a little more room. DD

PS I'm not sure about this but maybe one's free subscription to the TPS service might expire? It may be worth reregistering, I did when we moved even though our phone number remained the same. Oddly enough we have not received one enquiry about having double glazing since we moved into a house that is . . . . :shock:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    There was something like this on Watchdog a while ago. The salesman was in the house they had set up and he was trying to convince the old woman that the bed would cure all conditions. And it cost a couple of thousand, at least.
    Christine
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Oh DD when I read your comment about wanting to talk about jesus it really tickled me :lol: I can't wait now to get one of the aforementioned cold calls. I seem to get the recorded ppi ones or someone asking for Mrs Billington who bless her lived in our house almost 30 years ago and has been dead for 25 years. When we first moved in I used to explain that she was deceased and would they kindly take her details off their database. Now 4 years later I just say "she's dead" and hang up as they are spluttering their sympathies.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think we've had two people to my knowledge on here who have been taken in by this, or very similar, phone calls and subsequently regretted it. One of them at least was by a firm calling itself Arthritis We Care :shock: They're still trading.

Unwelcome, unsolicited phone calls are one thing. But when they are trying to make money out of illness and disability that is another. If I had answered his questions (A thing which many a kind, elderly person would have complied with) the next stage would have been the salesman at the door with the 'sample square', then the hard sell.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    It's a real problem and I don't know these people sleep at night. I arrived at my Mum's in her early Alzheimer's years to find a bed salesmen at the table eating dinner with her, after she had signed a contract to buy a new fully equipped hospital-style bed. She's just bought one the year before from the same salesman!!!!!

Previously, we'd had the same issue with a vacuum cleaner salesman. Also, there are all the promised mail contests, lotteries, etc that people play by sending a cheque to enter. This was actually how we identified a judgement-problem with my Mum which lead to her diagnosis. She's a sweet lady and these people took advantage of that assuming she was wealthy. She is not, and luckily we were able to intervene before she got into too much trouble financially.

When I (infrequently) answer these calls to my home I tell the caller that I am registered on the "do not call" service and that I will report there company. If they continue talking, I hang up. I don't think anything will happen to them if I do report, but it seems to have an effect. Do you have this kind of "do not call" registry in the UK? Since I still get a few, I guess companies are figuring out how to get around it, like all spammers.

I like DD's suggestion. Maybe next time I'll try that.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :shock: :shock: :shock: That is utterly disgusting and despicable, Anna. Words fail me.

Over here we have a similar service called the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) which we are on but, as you say, some get through. Of course, though, this chap, like many others, will say he's not trying to sell us anything. (It's his colleague, next one down the line, who is.)
    Steven Wright
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    We've also got TPS but still get numerous phone calls which are a nuisance. I appreciate that the call centre lads and lasses are only trying to make a living but I've got a very quick way of them ending the call. I just say "sorry, but the lady you want is in prison." :lol: They just don't know what to say after that statement. :roll:

Best wishes to all.

Janet
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    That is utterly disgusting and despicable, Anna. Words fail me.

It really is Sticky, I was horrified. That was quite a few years ago with my Mum, but I hear from her neighbors that those companies still make the rounds in her neighborhood which is mostly retired/elderly people. You really didn't exaggerate using "predator" in your title.

No one gets into her house now my brother is in charge. I'm very grateful he's there.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ye gods, Anna. :shock: The low of the low find a new low. :x One can only hope that their elderly Mums are eventually preyed upon in the same way (but hopefully not by their offspring, although in this cynical day-and-age it wouldn't surprise me). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    When we are called and they say hey are not selling anything and just want some questions answering I always say he same thing

How do you earn money then.

We are not selling anything

You must be or you would not make any money
    I give you information you sell this to people who then will ring me up.

They hand up now or sooner sometimes

James

Ps I use to own a very well know double glazing company lol
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I'm with the TPS too but the odd call gets through. Sometimes I have asked them to hold on a minute and then put the phone next to the tv or radio and leave them to listen. I read somewhere that one person tells the caller that they have phoned the scene of a murder and are talking to the officer in charge so they have to leave their name and telephone number as they are now a suspect. :lol:
    Christine
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm with the TPS and still get unwanted cold calls but now I just leave my answerphone on and don't answer! If it's important they will leave a message! I also get cold calls on my mobile, if I don't know the number I don't answer and again if it's important they will leave a message. It's funny but the mobile ones are automated messages an they do go on to my answerphone. So now cold calls are done by computers instead and still go to answerphone!!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I am registered with the TPS but my understanding is that it does not block callers from outside the UK. I used to be the politest of polite but I can't tell you how cross I get every single night when they call as I sit down to eat dinner. I have politely asked to be taken off their lists but do they listen? I'm afraid I was a little less polite and the calls are no more.

I am a social worker for older people and the vast majority of my service users have dementia. It makes my heart ache to hear the stories from families of vulnerable people letting these sorts of charlatans into their homes, give them their bank details and just got conned. They prey on older people and I've heard of a few retirement blocks where these con "men" spend an awful lot of time.
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Round here it is government sponsored gas boiler installation.Sometimes twice a day.Sometimes a recorded message. I haven't the heart to tell them that we are on oil and so just let them waste their time and money.
    As an aside I did get things a bit wrong once when a charming sounding young lady called asking to speak to me, it had to be me, saying that she was from the bank.Oh yes I thought and asked which branch she was calling from since I have not used our original branch in over 30 yrs. She said that she was from the credit card dept.How could she prove that? She would give me a phone number to call back on.That scam has been doing the rounds for ages was my reply and anyway how do you know that I am who I say I am if it is only me you can speak to.Deadlock, so we agreed to call it a day. She phoned again and said that if she accepted that I was who I said I was would I accept her as bona fide if she told me the last three numbers on the back of my cedit card. I agreed but said first I would have go and find the card since I never used it.And that is what it was all about - had I actually received the card as they had no trace of it being used !!