Does anyone on here juice?

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Oct 2014, 09:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am thinking of undertaking this new departure to help both of us. I love eating veg (not fruit though, I was brought up without it due to food intolerances and now don't like it that much, it's very unreliable stuff in terms of taste and texture) but there was an interesting article in the Mail yesterday and that set me a-thinking.

I have been doing some research (and watched many youtube vids) about the process and the effort involved, and earlier today went to Jay Lewis to see some in real life. Tomorrow may involve a visit to Carry's :wink: because I am sure they will have more in stock but I reckon I've made my choice.

Do any of you on here juice? If so, what is your preference? Fruit, veg or both? Centrifugally or otherwise? How do you cope with the machines? I freely admit it's the veggy options that have caught my eye (especially parsnip and ginger) but it may be a good way to use up fruit that he's bought and not eaten.

If anyone on here could help with their experiences I would appreciate it. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't juice but I do make fruit smoothies. I use a mix of fresh and frozen fruit, bananas, strawberries etc and often add in yoghurt. I just use a stick blender for these. I've always been put off juicers because of the cleaning.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I prefer to eat the whole fruit and veg but do make smoothies now and again. I've got a juicer but, like Slosh, was put off because it took longer to clean it than to juice.
    Christine
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    One other advantage of smoothies is that you keep the fibre. Mind you I don't think I'd fancy a carrot smoothie!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    The machine I'm thinking of can cope with softer berries and bananas etc. but as it's the carrots, apples, raw beetroot, parsnip, ginger, broccoli etc. that take my fancy so I need a proper juicer. (I have a stick blender but have never tried doing anything like this with it, it might be worth a spin.) I also need one that can manage kale, spinach, watercress (I'm nearly drooling at the thought of a watercress and cucumber juice) and this one has a very good variable speed. The cleaning is not that fiddly, not with the newer machines, just a rinse and a quick scrub before you drink your concoction. Hmmmmmm . . . thank you for your replies, more food for thought methinks! DD
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    I like a slice of lemon in my gin and lemonade, and when I've drunk
    the drink I eat the fruit but not the rind. Does this count?
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I saw the article too, DD, and it did look appealing. We used to have a very basic juicer, but only used it for fruit.

I sometimes make smoothies too, but like the others, I just use my blender.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    DD I have just bought the nutribu**et..you put the whole fruit in so you get all the best from it..I put both veg and fruit in I have got through quite a bit of spinach lately ..blueberry's..they have been quite cheap ..Lemons and ice cubes really add to the flavour ..I now buy some frozen berries so they dont go off and the drink is cold.. you can also add nuts..so all in all I am very happy with it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    I thought it was a good article, theresak, and have sadly been dreaming about all manner of lovely mixes involving veg. :wink:

b arbara12? looked at the Nutri but the prep put me off: al the pictures I saw had the fruit etc. cut into neat chunks butbecause I don't find peeling or cutting that easy I opted for the one I have: the chute is large enough to take whole apples, pears, carrots, cucumbers and other such bulky things, plus the facility for the softer things in life. I have also learned that it's best to put bunches of watercress etc. through sandwiched between a more solid ingredient to ensure that you have the most green juice at the end.

The box is currently hidden: great ructions are forecast here at No.10 with the new water main going in on Thursday so I've quit whilst I'm ahead. :wink: There's a fair bit of kitchen kit that I'd forgotten we have that needs ousting, including two slow cookers, numerous clay casseroles that I've kept for sentiment's sake, a lasagne dish which is far too large and other stuff, so I'll sort that and then make room once my kitchen has been put back together.

Gulp. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It sounds fun but, a whole cucumber :o How long is the chute? I'm thinking toddlers' playground :lol:

I'm with applerose. Had one but wanted all the other bits of fruit and veg too. Plus the cleaning, back then, was horrible.

I hope you have lots of fun and healthy drinks with it :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I have one in the storage cupboard. Mr. B thought it would be good for me but I used it once and put it away. It was too hard to clean :(

Hope yours is better... :D
  • dreamdaisy
    I appreciate that it may not make that much difference to me but it may make a better difference for / to him - secretly I hope we both find some benefit. I gather that the secret is to have a bowl of warm, soapy water in which to plunge the messy bits - once the waterworks are out of the way I will try it! Pear and parsnip, anyone? Watercress and cucumber? Oooooh, both sound scrummy! DD
  • stickywicket
    Pear and parsnip sounds interesting; watercress and cucumber very refreshing :D
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I have had fruit smoothies/juices in the past but understand they are full of sugar.

One of my ex colleagues was a vegan and would regularly appear with a smoothie in the morning. One time she had broccoli and banana in the same one! :x Yuck, yuck, yuck. Thankfully she wasn't sitting next to me when she drank it. I love broccoli and bananas but not blended together.

Yuck.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    When I had a juicer I was amazed at the combinations that the recipe book mixed together. I'll try anything once so I did and some of them were surprisingly good.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I also have one in the storage cupboard!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein