Advice please re Rheumatoid Arthritis

Hips12
Hips12 Member Posts: 62
edited 15. Oct 2014, 13:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have been absent for a while now so had to re-register as Hips12 (formerly known as just Hips)

I have recently found out through having hospital eye tests that I have dry eyes, which, with my constant dry mouth, which I always assumed were caused by my meds, and the dry "lady bits" which were diagnosed previously from a bladder scan, apparently point to sjorgrens syndrome which can be associated with RA according to the lady who diagnosed my dry eyes!
My blood tests for RA have always come back negative for markers so it has been assumed that I have Osteo as the X-rays showed wear and tear to my joints.
A few days ago my sister was giving me a pedicure and the underneath of my right foot was very painful when she tried to rub in foot cream..but my left foot was ok.
I am currently experiencing a lot of pain in my right hip and shoulder joints.

So, my question is, do these things together now point more towards RA?
I am thinking I should see my GP about these latest developments and ask for an up to date blood test, but wonder if anyone can give me some advice first.

Many thanks
Hips 12

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Hips12 and welcome back
    I understand were you are coming form I have had OA for 5 years now, and have a dry mouth and swollen wrist and ankles..but still they cant find anything else..apart from joint probs I had has a child..but still waiting fora name..I do hope that you get some answers very soon sometimes it just a name we need..good luck...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again, I hope we can help. The dryness certainly sounds like Sjogrens (which I think is another auto-immune condition) but don't be too hasty to assume that you don't have a form of auto-immune arthritis. I have one which is sero-negative i.e. I don't test positively for rheumatoid factor. I have psoriatic arthritis and the joint damage from that has led to osteo in a number of useful joints - and I know the difference between the two. The meds for the former don't touch the latter whereas the pain dullers and occasional diclofenac for the latter help the former. It's whole barrel of laughs. :|:wink:

There are around 200 kinds of auto-immune arthritis - have you ever been referred to a rheumatologist? If not then it may be worth your asking your GP to do just this: GPs know a little about a lot whereas rheumatologists know a lot about a little. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think you should go back to your GP and have a good natter about all this. He will have the hospital reports and might know more than you do. In any case, you need to talk it over with someone better qualified than us. It might be worth looking here first http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth ... thway.aspx
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Sjogren's can be primary (no other autoimmune diseases alongside it) or secondary (companion disease to something like RA) . I was sero negative RA ie no markers, which is fairly common, but this has recently changed to sero positive. I've had secondary Sjogren's for years now. Hope you soon get answers.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi , agree with sticky & talk to your GP , dry eyes goes with RA as does alot of the otherthings you mentioned , apart from the hips , RA can affect them but its not normal as most people problems with hips relate to back problems

there are 200 types of arthritis & reason to go back to your GP , there is several things they can check in blood test , & things like do you suffer from psoriasis which can cause Psoriatic arthritis
  • Hips12
    Many thanks for your responses.
    I have an appointment with my GP on Friday.

The last week has been pretty trying as I have developed a very sharp pain in my right hip when I put my weight on it, in certain positions...it's strong enough to make me wince every time I do it.

I feel like I am slowly falling to pieces at the moment so I really need to get back on top of this thing.

Thank you again for your advice.

Hips x
  • stickywicket
    You're going through a difficult time right now and I think you'll be tempted, when seeing the GP, to concentrate on the hip pain as that is currently bothering you a lot. However, the dry eyes might point to an auto-immune problem even though you tested negative or RA. He can only prescribe pain relief for the hip. The eyes might require more attention.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again, if your appointment with the GP was last Friday how did it go and how are things now? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hips12
    Hi and thanks again for your responses.
    I saw my GP last Friday and she is sending me for an X-ray on my hip to see if the hip has worsened since diagnosis of Arthritis.
    Also I have a blood test booked to check for inflammatory markers again especially since the dry eyes were diagnosed and matched the other symptoms of sjorgrens.
    Yes it's a bad phase at the moment but you just have to get on with it don't you.
    I have other things happening in my life that spur me on, such as being about to become a grandmother again for the second time....so lots of excitement there :)

Will update as and when tests completed.

Hips12
  • Hips12
    Hi again, my GP phoned me with the xray results...the arthritis in my right hip has gone from moderate to severe :cry:
    She wants to wait for the blood results and take it from there re the next step, which I assume is a referral to rheumatology?
    I have only been seen once, right at the start where they referred me for pelvic xray ..since then I have been treated by my GP with co codomol 30/500 for the pain, and recently with ketoprofen gel due to the sharp pain that has started.
    I'm a little bit down about it as I thought I had just "pulled" something that would get better in a week or two.

Hips
  • stickywicket
    I don't know whether to commiserate or not re the hip. On the surface it sounds like bad news but, if it brings you nearer a THR, it's good news.

I'd guess that what your GP means is that she'll refer you to rheumatology only if your bloods indicate the presence of the rheumatoid factor. You might need to let her know that some forms of inflammatory arthritis are sero-negative. You can get more info / ammunition :wink: by downloading some of Arthritis Care's publication about the different types of arthritis.

If you do have an inflammatory arthritis you need meds which only a rheumatologist can prescribe. GPs just treat OA and the only meds at their disposal are anti-inflammatories and pain dullers.

Keep us in the loop, please, Hips2.
    Steven Wright
  • Hips12
    Thank you for the info Stickwicket.
    Ah, so I only see a rheumatologist if I have an "inflammatory arthritis" is that right?
    I didn't realise that.
    I suppose because no markers have shown up in my bloods previously I have been treated as having Osteoarthritis which is why I am on cocodamol and ketoprofen gel for the pain.
    I had accepted that until the Ophthalmologist said my dry eyes were a symptom of my arthritis ...when I mentioned my other "dry areas" she brought up sjorgrens, which is autoimmune, hence the blood tests.
    I will update as I find out more.

Thanks again

Hips x
  • Hips12
    Had a mammogram today as have been experiencing pain in my left breast for a while now (lost both nan and mum to breast cancer) but thankfully all clear.
    The pain is coming from my ribs due to the arthritis, so nothing to do with the breast at all...quite common apparently.
    I was due for a check up anyway so at least I'm covered for another 3 years and one less thing to worry about.

Hips x