getting a consultatnt

stephen
stephen Member Posts: 5
Can you tell me if I'm entitled to getting another consultant's view on my RA?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Stephen
    Thank you for your posting. You would need to speak to your GP about another referral. You could also talk to the practice manager at your doctor’s surgery to find out about entitlement to receiving a second opinion.
    Another option would be to talk to the Patients Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who offer confidential advice, support and information on health related matters. They provide a point of contact for patients their families and their carers You can access information about what they do as well as being able to find your local PALS office on the link http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1082.aspx I hope this information is helpful.
    If you would like to talk things through confidentially and informally you are very welcome to call us here on the helpline on 0808 800 4050 (10am – 4pm weekdays).

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • stephen
    stephen Member Posts: 5
    Can you also tell me which are the centres of excellence in London for rheumatology? Is UCL any good?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Stephen. I thought I'd jump in here although I'm just an ordinary forum member as I'm not sure if the Helplines are happy to answer such a question since I guess it pits one hospital against another - not a good ploy for a nationwide charity :wink:

You'll see from the EULAR awards (http://www.eular.org/index.cfm?framePage=/awards_centres_of_excellence.cfm ) that you really need to 'go north, young man', to misquote someone or other. Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Aberdeen. However, UCLH is a Centre of Excellence. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Stephen,

and thanks Stickywicket - we can't recommend particular centres, but we'd be really happy to have a chat if you feel like talking this over. Within boundaries we will do our best to be helpful.

It's often easier to talk informally about these issues, so do get in touch if you'd like to

Kind regards

Guy