Due to start methadextrate on the 3rd of November any advice

Options
Witcombed1
Witcombed1 Member Posts: 13
edited 16. Oct 2014, 12:11 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all I done a litte research on the tablets and the list of side effects are grosume .

Anyone who's on them ever had these side effects and what I should expect or use caution in when I start them

Eg I'm on tramadol at the moment and fair play they help quite a lot can you take tramadol and methadextrate or is there a different form of painkillers

Can I still take naproxen

I know the doc will advise me but I want to hear real people's opinions
Any help please

Thanks david

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. I have been taking meth for a few years now, I began with the tablet version many years ago but developed a rash so they were stopped. I am now on the injected kind and can honestly say that I have very little trouble with it. I may occasionally feel very tired the day after the injection but that's it.

I have been taking medical drugs since I was seven and never worry about side-effects. I know they are listed to protect the manufacturers but there is no guarantee that they are going to turn up and in my experience they rarely do. I have tramadol available but hardly ever take it, I save it for my truly rough times (I have an auto-immune arthritis (psoriatic) which has led to osteoarthritis) so pain is now a fact of life. I use between two and six cocodamol (30/500) per day plus the occasional diclofenac (an anti-inflammatory) if needed. I am eighteen years in with this malarkey but can understand your concerns about beginning this drug: some on here take theirs in the evening with food so they can sleep through the first few hours but I always did mine in the morning and still do with my injections. That's just me, I want it over and done with!

Please try not to get too worked up about this, meth is used for a number of conditions and sometimes at considerably higher doses than we take. Ensure that you have your bloods done on a regular basis so that your consultant will get accurate feedback about how your body is coping and feel free to ask us any questions: that is usually done on the Living with Arthritis board on here, you may find that board interesting reading. I wish you well, DD.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi David and welcome to the forum.

I've been taking methotrexate for about 14 years with no problems other than, occasionally, a day when I feel very tired - usually the day after but sometimes the day after that.

All side-effects look gruesome but they are unlikely to happen. My advice would be to just swallow them and then get on with your life.

You should be given a little book in which the results of your regular blood tests will be recorded. Don't miss any tests. They will show up any potential problems before they become an actuality. You may or may not be told to avoid alcohol but it's best to avoid it at least for the first few months until you know how your liver is reacting to the meth - hopefully not at all.

I always take mine with food - a small, plain biscuit will do - just to help avoid nausea. Some tale their meth at night for the same reason.

You'll be given folic acid supplements to take. Different docs give different doses. I've always taken them on two days per week.

Tramadol is a painkiller (Pain duller as many of us prefer to call them). You can take these with meth but not the naproxen or any other anti-inflammatory unless your doc says it's OK to do so. With luck the naproxen won't be necessary.

I hope it works as well for you as it does for me. You'll get more replies if you copy your post onto a new thread on the Living With Arthritis forum. All the best :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Witcombed1
    Witcombed1 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the responses that's all I needed to know I have rheamatoid arthritis that's quite bad both knees are swollen with fluid to the point where they feel like there going to burst . So I'm in constant pain most days but I found tramadol takes the edge off where as co-codamol did nothing at all for me so as long as I can carry on dulling down the pain I'll be fine
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi;
    I've taken Methotrexate for two years and at first had fatigue and some nausea. You've likely been put on a low dose to see how you will react to it. Be sure you take it weekly, not daily. I have a friend who made that mistake.

Best wishes. I hope it works for you.