Cod Boulangere. (A one-pot dish)

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 24. Oct 2014, 10:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
This went down a storm last night in Daisy Mansion, read on and (hopefully) have a treat of your own!

Ingredients (for 4)

15g of parsley, chopped (or dried equivalent)
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped (I crushed)
finely grated rind of two lemons
100g of canned anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
675g of new potatoes, washed and thinly sliced (if using old spuds then peel and thinly slice)
1 medium onion, peeled, thinly sliced and separated into rings
freshly ground black pepper
285ml single cream or milk (I used semi skimmed, creamy enough for us)
15g butter (I ignored this)
1.1kg of cod fillets, cut into chunks (I used loin)

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C, (350 F GM4)

2. Place the anchovy, parsley, garlic and lemon rind in a small bowl and mix together.

3. Arrange one third of the potato slices in the base of a well-greased large, shallow ovenproof dish, sprinkle with half the onion rings then lay over one third of the anchovy mix and season with pepper. Repeat with half of the remaining spuds, the remaining onion rings and half the anchovy mix. Finally lay the remaining spud slices on top.

4. Bring the cream or milk to the boil and pour over the potatoes. (in the interest of reducing the washing up I poured it on cold). Dot with the butter, cover with foil and bake in the centre of the oven for one hour or until the spuds are almost soft.

5. Remove the dish, uncover and arrange the cod over the dish. Sprinkle over the remaining anchovy mix, recover and put back in the oven for a further 25 minutes or until the fish easily flakes.

6. Serve and wait for the compliments. If you don't get any then announce you won't be cooking again for a couple of days.

It is sufficient for a meal but in future I will serve with green beans for a little added colour and texture. There is no need to add salt as the anchovies take care of that! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It sounds lovely, DD - we love fish, and some weeks we eat more fish than meat, in various shapes or forms. I'd have to use salt, I think, as hubby doesn't much like anchovies.
  • dreamdaisy
    I know that not many do so it may be worth rinsing them very thoroughly and blitzing them in a food processor or hand blender: what the eye can't see etc. :wink They gave a lovely depth to the meal so I wonder if capers would work better? I use them in another cod dish, Cod Provencal, they are similarly salty but not so 'fishy'. DD

PS If you would like the Provencal recipe then let me know and I'll post it.
  • theresak
    That's very kind of you, thanks. I might just take up your suggestion of rinsing & blitzing the anchovies -as you say, what the eye can't see......

I'd love the recipe for the Cod Provencal - but only when you're feeling less wiped out.

Tezz.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Thank you DD

It sounds lovely :)

A tip of my own - most supermarkets sell frozen crushed garlic in cubes. I use them most of the time now. Might help???

I like the idea of capers/zapping the anchovies a lot of people are 'prejudiced' against anchovies :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    What a good start to the day - a great-looking recipe plus a tip for crushed garlic. Thank you DD and frog :D

I love one-pot dishes that can be done in separate bursts of activity then forgotten about while in the oven. I shall substitute haddock or pollock though as Mr SW dislikes cod. I might also try the capers purely for convenience.

As for the garlic - I got rid of my garlic crusher when my hands became non-garlic-crushing ones :roll: I now just slice it. The idea of both crushed and ready-peeled sounds great.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I can still manage garlic (faff though it can be) but I do have an emergency jar of very lazy garlic in the store cupboard. I will dig out the recipe for the other cod dish and post it sometime over the weekend.

My Ma used to do a lovely dish, grilled cod topped with a milk, strong cheddar cheese and onion sauce. I haven't thought about that for years - it was one of my favourite meals (DD wanders off, coming over all nostalgic . . . . . )
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I like the sound of the cheesy onion sauce. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Right, here is the Cod Provencal recipe. This serves four.

Four cod fillets, preferably the thicker cuts.
    1 onion, medium diced.
    2 garlic cloves, crushed.
    2 tbspns olive oil.
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes.
    1 tbspn of capers.
    1 tbspn of lemon juice.
    16 pitted black olives, halved.
    1 tspn of dried oregano.
    1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil (I do it on looks, I don't measure).

1. Pre-heat the oven to GM 8, 450F, 230C or 210 if fan oven. Place the cod filets in a backing dish in one layer.

2. Saute the onion and garlic until slightly softened, then chuck in everything else and season if wished. (I only use pepper, the capers provide the salt). Gently bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.

3. Place the sauce over the cod fillets and bake in the middle of the oven for around ten minutes or until the fish is cooked through. Serve with green beans and new potatoes.

DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Thanks for this DD,I have been looking for a good fish recipe..now lets see how it turns out when I cook it.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Another for the 'recipe book' (ie the dog-eared bits of health-hazard paper shoved in what started off as a recipe book :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Thanks very much DD - one with which to try and impress my husband!
  • theresak
    Another for the 'recipe book' (ie the dog-eared bits of health-hazard paper shoved in what started off as a recipe book :lol: )

I`ve got a book like that Sticky - my older son, now 40, wrote in the book : For Mam with love, Bon Appetit," when a child!