Lynda Bellingham hasn't made it to Christmas.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 26. Oct 2014, 13:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've just heard on the radio the news that she died, yesterday, in her husband's arms. She was determined to survive until Christmas but her disease had other ideas. I heard her interviews a couple of weeks ago, and was struck by her courage and determination (it puts arthritis and effects into the shade, doesn't it?) and I was sure she would make it. I am truly saddened by this news. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    So sad. Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    It seems so unfair she and her family didn't get their last Christmas.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    R.I.P Lynda

She was so brave, only last week she was talking about her illness on Loose women.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I was very saddened to hear this, too.

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Its so very sad , my thoughts go out to her family she was worried how they would cope..typical of her..RIP Linda...
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    A brave and determined lady -RIP.
  • MILO147
    MILO147 Member Posts: 13
    so shocked at hearing this news \ R I P Lynda lovely lady :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    I had to shed a tear for her, and her family. I hope they manage to have a Christmas full of happy memories of her among the sadness.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    She was such a brave lady and had such courage. I feel for her family at this sad time. R.I.P Lynda.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I only 'knew' her from the oxo ads plus All Creatures Great and Small. She seems to have been held in esteem by those who did know her.

Oddly, I think, if I could choose between lasting, probably in a lot of pain and weariness, until after Christmas or dying in my husbands arms, I'd go for the latter.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I have to hand it to Radio 5Live, they quickly altered the topic of their 9am phone-in to make it about those who are dying from - and living with - cancer. The pieces I heard were riveting for all the right reasons. The next thing I heard (around two and a half hours later) was that a campaign had begun to have her OXO ads played on Christmas Day; that's how I first 'met' her and I whole-heartedly agree with that idea. Those who make the biggest impact have no idea that they have, and that also applies to the living. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Showing my age but I remember her from general hospital she was suppose to be the fat nurse and had to be padded out.... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    RIP Lynda So sad she didn't make it to Christmas. DD that's so lovely about the oxo adverts on Christmas day there is a thing going around on facebook asking people to hang and oxo cube on their Christmas tree in memory.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • dreamdaisy
    I will do that, the beef ones are a lovely festive colour! DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Very sad news. She did however stop treatment because she didn't want her loved ones to see her so ill, her words were 'as a little old lady'. She didn't want to linger in pain.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I was in tears when I heard the news about this courageous and brave lady.

The 19th October was the 6th anniversary of my neice passing away - from cancer - so it was a bad day for me anyway. The week before (13th Oct) had been the first anniversary for my Dad's passing (lung cancer last year).

For Lynda to have stopped treatment is such a brave thing to have done and I understand completely why she did this.

I hope that her family have the consolation at least that for the last few weeks of her life she was smiling and making people laugh and sharing what appeared to be good times with them all.

My thoughts go out to them and also to anyone else who has lost a loved one to cancer. R.I.P. Lynda.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!